Who are your favorite drummers, and why?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gazeman1977, Feb 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

What I most appreciate on a drummer usually is: dynamics, creativity, eclecticism (or versatility) and energy. I sometimes find all of these virtues present, other times just two or three of them, in the following drummers:

1) Bill Ward - astonishing level of musicianship. And sometimes that is as much about knowing what not to play;
    2) Carl Palmer - his ever changing rythmic paces on the same song or piece are mind-blowing and unique, besides his versatility, and eclecticism at a high-level;
    3) Stewart Copeland - his creativity allied to his eclecticism makes him freakin' unique;
    4) Neil Peart - what an energetic drumming!, and he's also capable of various approaches, perhaps his admiration for Copeland's drumming helped for that. Peart admitted once that Copeland was one of his major influences.

2. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Tongue tied

DesertChaos likes this.
  3. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

nick mason
    mitch mitchell
    keith moon
    john bonham
    ringo starr
    mick fleetwood
    charlie watts
    bill bruford
    Jaki Liebezeit (CAN)
    frank beard (zz top)
    mike shrieve (santana)
    alex van halen
    john densmore (the doors)
    Pierre Moerlen/Pip Pyle (gong)

SG47 likes this.
  4. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Which reminds me of another reason why I picked Bill Bruford - knowing what not to play. Oft quoted bit, but he got writing credit for a KC piece he didn't play on or contribute to because he thought it best to sit out and shut up - and kudos to the band members for recognizing that his non-contribution was indeed a contribution.

5. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

Bill Kreutzman. Because he listens.

6. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Abe Laboriel Jr
    Keith Moon
    Dave Grohl
    Charlie Watts
    Ringo Star
    Stewart Copeland

7. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Indeed, Bruford definitely added and contributed pretty much, and I wouldn't go wrong in putting him amongst my favorites too. In my viewpoint there are very few drummers with that mind-blowing level of musicianship he is well-known for.

DesertChaos likes this.
  8. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

At the top of my list is Mel Gaynor from Simple Minds. Tracks like "Speed Your Love To Me" and "Come A Long Way" explain exactly why.

Also:
    Stewart Copeland - he doesn't just keep the beat; he fills every open space with something unique and inspiring
    Adam Woods of The Fixx - such an expressive drummer
    DJ Bonebrake of X - listen to "Blue Spark"
    Tony Thompson - for Chic, yes, but really for The Power Station - the drums on "Some Like It Hot" are among my all-time favorites
    Terry Bozzio - so much unique work with Missing Persons
    Steve Ferrone - he took over in Duran Duran briefly after Roger Taylor (also excellent!) left. The drums on "Proposition" from Notorious are incredible
    Bill Berry - the fills in the intro to "The One I Love"? Need I say more?
    Jeff Porcaro - too many to mention
    Gina Schock - much like Stewart Copeland, she doesn't simply keep the beat; she puts in a lot of interesting fills and her drumming becomes integral to the record. "Vacation" and "Head Over Heels" are standouts.
    Martin Chambers - "Mystery Achievement." F#@%!
    Butch Vig - Listen to the first Garbage single, "Vow"

Havoc likes this.
  9. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Michael Shrieve

10. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

DANNY SERAPHINE - Chicago's original drummer and founding member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Danny Seraphine's legendary integration of jazz chops with a rock feel has been cited as a major influence on many of today's great drummers. He has always been known for his fast chops and inspiring creativity. Several early Chicago tracks that showcase his playing include "25 or 6 to 4," "Devil's Suite," "Now More Than Ever," "Motorboat to Mars," "Skin Tight," "Make Me Smile," "Old Days," "Questions 67 And 68," "Beginnings," "I'm A Man," "Goodbye," "Now That You've Gone," etcetera, just to name a few.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Zoot Marimba, SirMarc, SG47 and 6 others like this.
  11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

More recently my favorites have been Stanton Moore, Bobby Previte and Manu Katche

MungoMusic likes this.
  12. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Can you imagine Buddy Rich or Gene Krupa behind the skins of a top notch rock band?

oldsurferdude and AndydD like this.
  13. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Ringo Starr
    Charlie Watts
    Keith Moon

14. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Benny[Papa Zita]Benjamin]who played on most of the classic Motown hits of the early to mid-sixties.

15. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

I mentioned him further up! Also gets my vote for the hardest hitter. It feels like your sternum is going to snap!

16. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Cast my vote for drummer Ronnie Tutt, who has worked with a number of legendary artists including Roy Orbison, Jerry Garcia, Elvis Presley and Neil Diamond.
    [​IMG]

17. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

Al Jackson Jr. Not my favorite of all time; but I felt obligated to make mention of him as nobody had. Top 10 by any standards.

Dino Danelli as above; but I had to atone for the fact he also has not been mentioned. Top 7...

As a final mention... A proxy vote from Dave Clark for Dave Clark as the greatest of all time.

Zoot Marimba and eatthecheese like this.
  18. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

I can and it would be a not too dissimilar experience as listening to Ginger Baker with the Cream of the crop, top notch indeed.

...but totally different.

19. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Joe Morello. How I wish that the 1963 Carnegie Hall concert were recorded to video.

oldsurferdude and ponkine like this.
  20. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Another vote for George Hurley! Cool!

Topper Headon- another fine choice.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  21. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Great choices! I can't believe I didn't thin to add Densmore to my list. Great drummer and a really nice guy (I got to meet him at a book signing not to far back).

Another vote for Mr. Below. Sweet!

Clive Bunker, OMG yeah. I love his work on those early Tull records.

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  22. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Tony Williams
    Bill Brudord
    Alan White
    Ringo
    Bill Ward
    Jack Dejonette
    All 3 Ramones drummers
    Charlie Watts
    Mick Fleetwood

MungoMusic likes this.
  23. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Levon...yes, Levon, of course...and Mick!

24. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

Phil Collins
    William Calhoun

Oh and of course rikki rocket

MungoMusic and ianuaditis like this.
  25. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Keith Moon - The ultimate rock and roll drummer. No one who picks on him could ever play like him. How can you NOT appreciate a guy who inspired Animal from The Muppets, fer cryin' out loud?!?

Agostino Marangolo - his jazzy/funk style, especially from the 1977-1980 period, inspired me personally as a drummer. From that time period especially I appreciate his interplay between the snare and the hi-hat which he used more for fills than the toms. But it was seeing him live in these more recent years that helped me pick up techniques that actually helped to make me a better drummer, and I was happy to get to tell him as much at the last show I saw him at.

EDIT: How could I forget Jaki Liebezeit??? I've never heard a drummer that had better timing than him. His style is immediately recognizable -- a truly unique drummer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.