Best cartridge update for Fluance RT-81?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AidanB, Feb 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’ve had this turntable for a little over a year at this point, and have been slowly upgrading it. I’ve got a better preamp now (Emotiva XPS-1), but I’m still stuck with the AT95e that came with the turntable. What would be a good next step? As far as budget goes, I guess I’ll put it at $200, but I’m open to pricier suggestions in that general area. Also, since this is the first time I’ll be buying a new cartridge, any other tips regarding cartridges, headshells, readjustment, etc.?

2. I've had really good luck with the Shure M97xe. It has an advantage of a dampened carbon fiber brush. I usually have it locked in the up position. It's not an excuse to not clean your records beforehand, but it did come in handy the other day. I was playing an LP which had an edge warp. With the dampening brush locked in the up position, the stylus bounced when it hit the warped edge. I unlocked the brush and the record played like nothing was wrong.

H8SLKC likes this.
  3. tommytune

tommytune Forum Resident

PhilBiker likes this.
  4. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

You could consider a simple stylus swap into the cartridge you have installed. Several online retailers sell multiple options for the AT95e cartridge, including .3X.7 ellipticals, HE, VL and shibata options. Any/all of them can be a cost-effective and simple way to dramatically improve the sound. I love the AT95e.

I also agree with Automated that the m97xe is a really nice cart, advanced for its price. I find it to be smooth but not engaging with its stock stylus, and very recently changed the stylus to a N97HE, a hyperelliptical that works in the m97xe after a little bit of plastic trimming. It's now a beautiful cartridge, with open top end and fantastic bass, great tone, and it's going to be on my good table for a little bit.

PhilBiker and tables_turning like this.
  5. tommytune

tommytune Forum Resident

If you don't want the Shure sound, The Ortofon 2m Blue will keep you engaged.

You'll probably want another headshell, so you can compare cartridges if you do buy another one. You want to start out having the tonearm/top of the cartridge level/parallel with the record. You may have to put shims between the cartridge and the headshell. Use a protractor or gauge to align the cartridge in the headshell.

Fluance lists the effective mass of your tonearm pretty high, so the Ortofon would be a much better match than the Shure. Your current cartridge matches fine with the tonearm.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    PhilBiker and H8SLKC like this.
  6. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

I also have an AT95e in my backup table, and have zero regrets or issues. As others have said, upgrading the stylus is a relatively inexpensive way of making a good sounding cart even better. I have done this using aftermarket JICO .3 x .7 styli (the stock 95 stylus is .4 x .7), which are boxed and branded as RVG.

The generic part number for some of these styli is 710-DE, though RVG uses a different number to represent the same basic stylus (PM2298DE). I have personally bought only those manufactured in Japan, and of those, all have had the blue cantilever dot associated with JICO-made styli.

You will find Swiss-made 710-DE styli for sale as well -- I have not tried these, so I can't vouch for these first hand. Some of the members here have tried the Swiss-made versions, with varying results. The impression I get from reading their comments is that the Swiss styli are not as consistent in quality as their Japanese brethren.

Whatever you choose, make sure you're getting a .3 x .7 elliptical, and you should notice an improvement.

H8SLKC likes this.
  7. tommytune

tommytune Forum Resident

Jico is a brand, just like EVG is a brand. I have purchased the EVG elliptical and the Jico elliptical for my V15 III. They are constructed very differently and sound different as well.

H8SLKC likes this.
  8. AidanB

Can you describe in detail the differences in sound between the two?

H8SLKC likes this.
  9. tommytune

tommytune Forum Resident

The EVG is more forward sounding, slightly blaring in the midrange. It is not harsh sounding. The Jico has a more relaxed, refined tone with slightly better detail.

10. AidanB

Alright, think I’ll go with the Jico if I go with that option. What is the price range on those styli?

11. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

I am assuming that both come from the same maker, as they both have the blue dot indicating JICO manufacture. If this is true, what would the differences be?

12. tommytune

tommytune Forum Resident

I am pasting this ( seen below ), but it is what I have seen. Also, the cantilever is smaller in diameter on the Jico . The Jico has the tie wire, the EVG does not. The EVG was purchased from an USA e-bay seller. The Jico purchased and shipped from Japan. The blue dot indicates a more advanced stylus shape, hyper elliptical, etc. Black dot elliptical.

JICO and SHURE
    magnets are square
    magnets are large
    suspension (gooey stuff) has brass sleeve between it and stylus shank

EVG, Pfanstiehl, Ed Saunders
    magnets are round
    magnets are small
    suspension has no sleeve between it and stylus shank

13. I tend to stay with the original brands of stylii, which is what the cartridge originally came with, if available. A change to a different brand of stylus will definitely give a different sound quality, which may be better or worse. For the AT95e, AT has used a special stylus in their LP5 turntable, an AT95Ex. You might try that stylus because AT considers it an upgrade.
    But, then again, as mentioned previously, get an extra headshell to mount a different cartridge in for easy comparison. Several of the popular Ortofon cartridges can be purchased pre-mounted in their own SH-4 headshell. I know you can get them through Amazon.

14. AidanB

Alright guys, still haven’t gotten around to the buying part. Is this a good deal? It’s a whole other cartridge/needle/headshell bundle with the shibata stylus. Should I save up for this?

15. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I recommend the Ortofon 2M Blue from experience. I love my Ortofon Blue and my next cart for my other setup will probably be a Nagaoka MP110 after reading some reviews.
    I think with The Ortofon you might need a spacer with your turntable.
    I also have had good luck with the 2M Red and eventually upgraded to the Blue with a replacement stylus from the red since it shares the same cartridge.
    Good luck!

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  16. AidanB

Oops forgot the link LP Gear AT95SA SET

17. Clonesteak

I haven’t heard this cart but seems like it seems to be a really good deal. This would be a significant upgrade. I think anymore than this would be overkill with this table.

18. AidanB

Alright, I might go for it then. That’s another thing I want to take into account, not going overboard for my modest system. Will I have to recalibrate the tone arm and readjust the counterweight after I switch the cartridge out, or since it’s the same tracking force, would it matter?

19. Clonesteak

You definitely will need to set this up correctly for optimal sound. You will need to set the correct tracking Force. You should have it aligned properly too. The cart probably won’t be plug and play and will have to be adjusted in the headshell. You can print off a protractor online. I recommend getting a digital scale. You can get them for less than $15 on Amazon.

20. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Should be plug and play. It's the same body as your AT95e. Why are you getting the headshell? Just get the stylus housing...LP Gear ATN95SA stylus and slip the 95e stylus off and the shibata on.

SirMarc likes this.
  21. AidanB

I was told to get more headshells, but honestly, since it is just an at95e with a different stylus, I should just buy the stylus.

22. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

Yep. Are you really 16? What amp and speakers are you using?

23. AidanB

Yep, hence the fact that I use a Yamaha sound bar (granted, pretty decent for a soundbar) which has a bluetooth sub and an integrated amp. I’ve had no part in the purchase of speakers, my dad bought it to hold us over for a nice reciever and pair of speakers. I’m only focusing on the components of our basement sound system that benefit me.

24. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Yes just get the stylus. If you already have the AT95E aligned with headshell no point in getting another unless you want to try different cartridges. Then buy a whole new set. I bought the Nagaoka MP 110 including headshell to swap with my AT95E with headshell. The AT95E is very good and I've heard it's great with the stylus upgrade.

Clonesteak likes this.
  25. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

You're trying to upgrade the turntable but don't have an amp or speakers yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.