Single Versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thecdguy, Aug 21, 2014.

1. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thank you very much for that information. I have this CD, which I assume is the single version of "I Won't Hold You Back", faded a few seconds early.

Various - Precious Rock (The Greatest Rock Performances)

This CD appears to have the single version of "Stranger In Town". Unfortunately, there's no sellers currently offering it on Discogs or eBay.

Various - Classic Drive: Hot In The City

kanno1ae likes this.
  2. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have this Essential Toto set, but it's from Italy (2008). It has edits or remixes of:
    Rosanna
    Hold The Line
    Africa
    I Will Remember
    Pamela
    Holyanna (European Re-Mix) - although not totally sure - liner notes do say "original version appears..." though
    The Turning Point
    If You Belong To Me
    Can You Hear What I'm Saying (Re-mix)

I have another Essential Toto that I bought from Pono that has a few different edits - Mushanga (Single Version) and Goin' Home (Single Version). Mastering a bit loud and compressed on both.

Forgot to post the link to the 1st 2 CD set:
    Toto - The Essential Toto

thecdguy likes this.
  3. Mulderre

Mulderre 60s and 70s Music Lover

Hello everyone. I am currently compiling all the UK singles that made Top 30 during the 60s and 70s. I have all of them, but some are in the "album" version, and I want to find them in their original UK hit version. Maybe some of you can help me with that, and tell me where can I find them. Here is the short-list:

Doctor Hook And The Medicine Show - Sylvia's Mother (I have the long intro version, but not the one with the short intro)
    Bob Dylan - Rainy Women Nos. 12 and 35 (I only could find the long version)
    The Wombles - Minuetto Alegretto (got the album version, which repeats the first verse)
    5th Dimension - Age of Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In (from what I know, the UK issue is different from the US)
    Silver Convention - Fly Robin Fly (this is dubious: Magnet label states a timing of 3.30, and it claims that is a disco edit. Possibly different from album version of 3.09?)
    The Eagles - Take It To The Limit and New Kid In Town (both edited for the UK. Perhaps the same in the US)

More, later.

4. thecdguy

I don't know about the UK, but the single version of "New Kid In Town" in the US was an early fade of the album version. I believe it's on one of those BackTrax CD Singles that came out in the late 90's. It runs about 4:50, give or take a few seconds. I checked Discogs and the UK 45 has a listed running time of 4:49, so it's likely the same version. "Take It To The Limit" was edited for the US single, but I don't believe it's ever been on CD.

There's several different timings of "Fly, Robin, Fly" that I've seen, but none with a 3:30 running time. In the US, there were two different commercial 45's released, one with a listed running time of 3:05 and the other with a time of 3:45. I've also seen CD's with versions of the song running over 5 and 7 minutes, but still none with 3:30.

According to Discogs, the UK 45 of "Aquarius/Let The Sunshine" has a running time of 2:59. I can honestly say I've never seen any CD's with that running time for the song. I know a longer edit running about 3:55 exists on CD, but that's all. Here in the US, we got the full 4:49 version for our commercial single.

Grant likes this.
  5. Mulderre

Mulderre 60s and 70s Music Lover

Apologies for quoting the full comment, but let me explain a bit:

- UK issue of "New Kid In Town" is the one of 4:50 (label states 4:49).
    - Magnet Records (the company who was in control of releasing Silver Convention's singles and albums) had a constant habit of giving un-accurate timings for most singles. Maybe it was the 3:45 timing you mentioned.
    - "Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In" was, as far as I know, an unique edit for Britain. I've been told that there was an early fade at the start of Let The Sunshine In.

6. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I'm sorry if the single version of WGFA is already mentioned in this nice thread.

7. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

It actually omitted the second run-through of the main verse of “Aquarius” and went straight onto “Let The Sunshine In” instead.

8. squonkduke

squonkduke Forum Resident

I believe the 3CD compilation Greatest Hits ... And More has all of the above in single version and some others as well, with the fine addition of Moodido (The Match) (Boxing Theme) which was only previously available on vinyl on the VA compilation
    The Official Music Of The 1984 Game and also as a single b-side.
    It's still cheap and (probably) in print:
    Toto - Greatest Hits ... And More

PTgraphics likes this.
  9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That's why I had to recreate my own.

The reason we do not see the 3:05-3:07 U.S. 45 version on CD is because the tape is lost. I found a nice lossless edit of it through my network. It replaces my needledrop.

10. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

The Temptations 45 "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" had an instrumental version on the B-side...other than The Complete Motown Singles Collection has this been issued
    on any Temptations CD? I know the mono 45 mix and the stereo 45 edit have been issued on CD but was looking for that B-side.

11. FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat Forum Resident

I used to own this single, and my view is that that the b-side was the sections that had been edited out of the long version with the original intro tagged on at the beginning. I no longer have the single so I can't verify my hypothesis.

12. John22

John22 Forum Resident

Does that mean that the B-side on the cd-set "The Complete Motown Singles, Vol. 12B: 1972" (disc 3) is not the right version?

The Complete Motown Singles, Vol. 12B: 1972 - Various Artists | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic

The Temptations - Papa Was A Rollin' Stone

13. thecdguy

14. badfingerjoe

I know what was issued on the Complete Motown collection is the correct version. I was interested to see if this track was issued anywhere else other than the original 45 and the collection.
    Maybe on another Temptations collection or as a bonus track.

15. badfingerjoe

Just found that Temptations b-side (Papa Was A Rolling Stone-inst version) on The Funk Brothers Motown Millennium Collection CD...cool set of instrumentals of classic Motown hits....highlighting the Funk Brothers.

GrahamBW and John22 like this.
  16. Grant

The problem with Motown is that they have issued many variations of songs on their comps, and even their complete singles sets gets things wrong sometimes. Then, the collectors are left to figure out what the absolute correct single versions are. If they don't have the original 45s, they are at the mercy of those who say they know, and even they aren't always correct. It doesn't help that Motown sometimes issued more than one mix on commercial 45s. Some mixes are so subtle they aren't easily identified.

What burns me is how they issued the wrong tape of "Do Ya Love Me" by The Contours. The one on the complete singles set is dry, while the actual 45 isn't. The Hitsville box gets it right.

@thecdguy , remember that even if a label time matches, the mix or edit may not be correct. I run into that sometimes, particularly on 70s hits like "Disco Nights" by GQ, and "Play That Funky Music" by Wild Cherry. It tells me that someone in the 90s went through a lot of trouble to recreate an approximation of what they thought was the single version and hoped that no one would notice. The only solution is to listen to the versions. The only problem there is that if a person isn't familiar with the song the way it was issued on a 45, they are again at the mercy of listing to those who say they know, or just guessing.

Martin Byrne and John22 like this.
  17. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

The correct "wet" mix is also on "The Very Best of The Contours" CD which is a really good representation of the group's output. It also includes the promo-only 45 version of "Shake Sherry". One drawback is "First I Look at the Purse" which seems to have come from a damaged master or some other badly doctored copy. The version used on the "Hitsville" box set doesn't sound nearly as bad so it's puzzling as to why they used such an inferior source.

18. badfingerjoe

Good point Grant. I never realized how many times Motown issued different mixes on 45 until I checked out the Complete Motown Singles Box sets..amazing how many they did like that.
    And sure, some of them are really hard to tell the difference unless you know that hit version very well. I have no problem with alternate mixes and edits but if you are giving me a collection and you
    throw the wrong mix on there I won't be happy.

I just heard today for the first time the 17 minute version that Tom Moulton mixed of Papa Was A Rolling Stone. See the pattern here..I love that song. But anyway has that version been issued on CD?
    I'm guessing a 12 inch single only.

19. John22

John22 Forum Resident

20. John22

John22 Forum Resident

I have also found some hit singles albums as download files which were released by small record labels and later released by the copyright owner:

"The Hit Singles Collection" by The Buckinghams from Columbia/Legacy (CD release by Varèse Sarabande in 2015)
    "The Complete Columbia Singles" by Paul Revere & The Raiders from Columbia/Legacy (CD release by Collector's Choice Music in 2010)"
    The Complete Laurie Singles" by Dion from Capitol (CD release by Real Gone Music in 2012)

I hope Universal Records would do the same with the releases of Steppenwolf and The Grassroots which were released by Real Gone Music on CD.

21. Grant

But, they are not the single mixes. That was the controversy when the CD came out. Either the mono single ,asters cannot be found, or someone won't authorize their use.

They don't need to now because Real Gone already did it for them.

For some reason, the major labels just aren't interested in doing those mono sets themselves. The executives don't see any profit in them. Their logic makes no sense.

22. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

I've only just discovered that the version of Dusty Springfield's "Little by Little", which I've been listening to for years courtesy of her Classics & Collectibles set, fades earlier than it should. The same early fade is also found on Gold (2008) and Goin' Back (2011). All three masterings fade on Dusty singing "all right". These versions run between 2 minutes 24.5 seconds and 2 minutes 25.5 seconds, if one removes the silence at the beginning and the end of the tracks.

In contrast, the same mix runs to 2 minutes 31.5 secounds and fades on Dusty's "yeah" on Jon Savage's 1966 The Year the Decade Exploded (2015). Much ado about nothing some would say, but it jumped out at me after hearing the earlier fade for years and years. This Ace mastering also has a touch more dynamic range (DR10) relative to the Universal masterings (DR7/8).

Martin Byrne likes this.
  23. John22

John22 Forum Resident

At Discogs the releases in U.S.A. and Australia have a running time of 2:25 and 2:24. My version from the 2-cd-set "Complete A And B Sides 1963-1970" has a running time of 2:18 and a dynamic range of DR8:

Album details - Dynamic Range Database

24. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

For some reason, a fold was used on Complete A and B Sides 1963-1970 for "Little by Little".

25. classicmusicfan32

classicmusicfan32 Forum Resident

I have seen this and was considering purchasing it for the Remixed Short Version on the CD. Glad to know it is that version on the CD. I also purchased MJ's Smooth Criminal and The Way You Make Me Feel also from the DualDisc CDs since they have the single mix of both. I know that The Way You Make Me Feel is hard to find on CD with the single mix.