Steve Miller Box Set Vol.1 Coming.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveCam, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's going to be the issue with Vol. 2 of this set if it ever comes out. It will start with the excellent Book of Dreams, which again, can be found in even my local market, which is pretty limited, for $5-$10 in good shape and they aren't easy to sell. After that the albums fall off in quality, consistency and general appeal. Circle of Love is a flawed album, Abracadabra is not a good album and I have passed on copies many times. Italian X Rays is a favorite of mine, but how many others will it appeal to? Living in the 20th Century is a decent album that may spark some interest, but in general, I don't see a Vol. 2 of this album being in big demand, except for complete hardcore collectors. And I'm saying this as a pretty big fan of Steve Miller.

sennj likes this.
  2. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I find a certain irony in using the iconography associated with Book of Dreams and later on the cover of a box that covers what essentially amounts to an entirely different band.

We all gotta sell product I suppose.

Ignatius and downer like this.
  3. I have a set of Japanese CDs in mini LPs sleeves that sound great

Dennis Metz and swintonlion like this.
  4. SteveCam

I just noticed that Music Vaults has the albums on coloured vinyl also being sold separately. Prices are steep even by Canadian standards, including Recall The Beginning priced at $49.99! I know it has been out of print but that's way too much. You can have your pick of Mofi and Analogue Productions reissues up here for that. I would say prices will come down, but in comparison, the Rocktober and Start Your Ear Off Right reissues have all been under $30 locally, many of them being top quality albums.

5. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Now, I heard that they used either the same mastering as the '80s CDs or only slightly different. Anyway, I've got the '80s discs.

6. I dont know. Never compared. Also have the imported remastered that came out around 6 or 7 years ago of those early albums. The ones that Joel Selvin did the liner notes.

7. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

So the box has BLACK vinyl and the colored ones are NOT sold as a box but separately? Strange.

8. SteveCam

Really? Hadn't noticed that.

mestreech likes this.
  9. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

So to get my perfect box I will have to get a separate box or a full box with black vinyl. Then sell those and buy the colored ones and then yes then I have my perfect box.
    Idiots.

scotti likes this.
  10. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

I think the Edsel remasters sound very good, Alchemy UK mastered those.

Mazzy likes this.
  11. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Will the colored versions also be available through a European site or shop. Postage from US or MusicVaultz is KILLING.

12. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Hard to find Rock Love, Your Saving Grace and Recall the Beginning at a decent price in any CD release.

13. Top row Edzel then Japanese’s mini LPs cds. I don’t own any of the later albums on cd except for the first box set and a hits collection.the last stuff bores me except for the occasion pop single CD collection when I drive.

I do have all original vinyl through Book of Dreams but I rarely listen past 5.

[​IMG]

WarEagleRK and footlooseman like this.
  14. RVD30

RVD30 Forum Resident

The Sound Of Vinyl have the coloured LPs in a Bundle for £180 and the Black LPs Box Set for £162.99 that's a lot more for coloured vinyl I don't see the point myself its nice to have, like on the Queen box set but apart from that seems a extra way to make money.
    here's the link
    The Sound of Vinyl

15. Soundstage has a 25% off sale for a few more hours. Not sure if they are listed there yet.

16. Macca did the same thing. The colored were pretty limited but the black versions were cheap.

17. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Yeah, I missed out on the Edsel ones when they came out. Now it's hard to find Rock Love, Your Saving Grace and Recall the Beginning anywhere under $25, with most listings being a lot more.

18. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Less than 2 quid more each for limited edition coloured doesn't seem too bad to me.

19. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Not sure about the rest of the box, but I did find this...

It has been fifty years since the first two Capitol Records albums (Children of the Future and Sailor) were issued in 1968 and this new set features newly remastered audio (by Steve Miller and Kent Hertz)

20. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Book of Dreams was supposedly held back for a proposed second set...although that would be a tough sell, IMO. It really makes no sense as they used the artwork for Book of Dreams for this set.

21. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

May 18th release date. Relax!

22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Mazzy, absolutely agree! I have the Japanese "Sailor" mini sleeve box set of the first five, with a replica Sailor style box that holds them. They do sound great! Even though I prefer vinyl, I love the mini sleeves. Have many of them along with the limited boxes that hold them. Most of the time they are well worth the money.

Back to this vinyl box, wish they would have done the first five only and in pure analog. Does anyone know how these are being mastered? Plus for the fans of the later albums, a second set would have been an easier sell if it included The Joker and Fly Like An Eagle instead of just kicking things off with Book of Dreams IMO...

23. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

But...but...I have the Anthology CD. Isn't that enough? :hide:

24. I think the first 7 would have been great then start the next box w The Joker ...

25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Good feedback, but where I agree about adding Journey, not a big fan of Rock Love (have to give my original a listen, been a while) but sadly, we can't customize our own box.

Its pretty obvious that these are going to be from digital not analog because the majority of times it states that up front. Music Vaultz does a good job with vinyl IMO, have several of The Tragically Hip titles and they sound great, and those of course are digital.

My wife's a big fan and might just get her the colored vinyl bundle for Mothers Day, about a $27 savings over separately for now. They sure look pretty cool.

Mazzy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.