For the "rock completist", box-sets worth buying?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by crookedbill, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

If it's the brickwalled disc it should be much louder and in your face than the rest of the set. If it's about the same level than the other discs it's probably the replacement. Personally I never got the replacement because before I heard of the exchange I bought a used copy of the original "Eliminator" CD that sounds very nice for a few bucks and put it into the set.
    So I have never heard the replacement disc. I just read about it on this forum.

2. crookedbill

crookedbill Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hmm, yeah, though the production and mix does sound different from the other albums (I'd attributed that to the heavy use of synth and a little more "rawk" rumble in the guitars/bass), it doesn't sound significantly louder. I'm pretty happy with it. All said and done, each disc in the set cost me below $4.00 apiece so I'm pretty happy. :D

3. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

Seconding the recommendation of the Dr. John Atco Albums set. Excellent music, excellent sound, and now the mst affordable way to get all of these albums on CD.

It covers his entire released recorded output for that period, minus a few B-sides, a radio broadcast or two, and some demos.

Plan9 likes this.
  4. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

The Velvet Underground - Peel Slowly And See. All 4 of the essential albums, good remastering, tons of outtakes and a really nice book too boot.

phillyal1 likes this.
  5. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

There is nothing "edited" anywhere on The Complete Studio Albums, let's not confuse things. That line is in "Mexican Blackbird" on the Six Pack because it is a remix, that version also includes an alternate vocal line in the last verse (”The wings of a blackbird…”) and some additional mumblings I can't make out. It was a choice by the band and engineer to leave that out in the original mix, so it shouldn't be there. Whoever remixed all these albums in an afternoon for Six Pack decided they could take all kinds of liberties and left things in that shouldn't be there as well as cutting out other things that should. What you hear on The Complete Studio Albums is what the band wanted.

If "Legs" is the single mix it is the redone more dynamic mastering, if it is the album version it is the brickwalled Deluxe mastering. So how can you tell? Well for example the official video has the single re-mix:

Here is the original album mix:
    ZZ Top - Legs [HQ]

A better sounding single re-mix/edit:
    ZZ TOP Legs Single Version

(Note that even though the redone mastering has the re-mix, it is not the edited single version, which appeared on some pressings of the original CDs, but a full lenght version, which has previously appeared on Greatest Hits for example.)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  6. crookedbill

Ok, sounds like my copy of Eliminator has the single re-mix/edit, but track length is 4:32.

7. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

The Police - Message In A Box

BTW, there is no good box set for The Who, but, at minimum, you'll need the following:

Who's Better, Who's Best
    Tommy
    Live At Leeds
    Who's Next
    Quadrophenia

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Not recommended here for sound quality.

9. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

True, but to my ears, it sounds better than the aforementioned Judas Priest box.

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

If I were a Judas Priest connoisseur, I would have reacted to that as well. ;)

dlokazip likes this.
  11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I can vouch for this.

12. Definitely this one.

13. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

In other words the full lenght remix (the "edit" is just an early fade). So then you have the updated box set with the "better" mastering.

I am not sure where this full lenght version "Legs" was first released, but it has never been on Eliminator before this redone mastering for the box set, so they created a new incarnation of the album here (not sure that was their intention, probably someone made a mistake).

14. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

For Chicago, the actual title of the box set is "Group Portrait."
    It includes hits and album cuts from the band's first fourteen albums (1969-1980) on original label "Columbia." It includes commentaries from all of the seven original band members and original producer James Guercio. Re-mastered by Mark Wilder, it is the band's best sounding compilation set.

[​IMG]

15. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

The Cars is a great set sonically plus the packaging is real decent.

Crossroads and Crossroads 2: Live in the 70's by Eric Clapton
    The Last Waltz (4) cd box set
    The Chain: Fleetwood Mac (4) cd set released in 1992
    The Byrds' There is a Season (Red 4-cd set bests the 1990 black one by a little IMO)
    Playback-Tom Petty/Heartbreakers

16. Galaga King

Galaga King "Drive where the cops ain't"

17. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I was referring to a different box set. The Complete Albums 1969-1978 box is an affordable set packing together all of the Chicago albums from that period, about $60 on Amazon. There is a companion box with later albums in it. The set you mention looks interesting as well, though.

Mowgli and AudiophilePhil like this.
  18. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I realized that too. I believe the Complete Albums 1969-1977 set was taken from the same digital sources used for Rhino Remasters. Speaking of sound quality, the one that I mentioned, the Group Portrait has the best sound.

Plan9 likes this.
  19. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

You are wrong.

The original custom label LP pressing has the line "Roll Me Another Bull Durham" in it. As does my WLP I got while working in FM radio in Texas when the album was released.

You should double check your facts before attempting to correct a post.

Also I have no idea what a Six Pack is.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  20. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    All can be had for a very low price and all enjoyable.

phillyal1 likes this.
  21. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

I expect mine this week from amazon.de
    $36.42 total (at the time) to Mass - https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B009AJDET6
    I always check .com & .de before clicking buy.
    I've saved a few hundred $$$ by using .de since last September to add to and upgrade my CD collection.
    about half/half between .de & .com

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  22. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

23. crookedbill

Whoa, I think you got the wrong guy.

24. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Humble Pie "Rockin' The Fillmore"

25. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

[QguUOTE="crookedbill, post: 18149924, member: 48141"]Whoa, I think you got the wrong guy.[/QUOTE]
    My sincere apologies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.