What Are Some Of Your Favorite TV Show Fun Facts and Trivia?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sloaches, Feb 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Estelle Getty apparently suffered from an irrational fear of death. The stories and jokes that dealt with death and dying caused her great anxiety and sometimes triggered panic attacks.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Oscar's apartment from season 1 of "The Odd Couple" is the same set from the 1968 film of version of "The Odd Couple".
    The apartment set was changed for season 2 when the show went to a three camera, live audience format.

Keith V and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

How did FOX News come from The Simpsons?

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Here's some more Golden Girls trivia!

Bea Arthur hated cheesecake and dreaded every "kitchen" scene in The Golden Girls where she had to put it in her mouth for every take of every scene.

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

The the record show, I made the 'money' sign, by moving my thumb against my other fingers.

6. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Michael Richards (Kramer from Seinfeld) played a criminal that got killed on Miami Vice.

Lisa Kudrow (Phoebe from Friends) had the role of Roz on Frasier. The producers realized she wasn't the right fit. I'd say she recovered nicely. :)

7. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

In one of the best episodes of the series[Gunsmoke],Steve Forest portrayed a gunfighter who took over Dodge City in the absence of Matt Dillon,when Dillon returned there as of course a showdown and Dillon supposedly killed him..but wait,years later on the reunion movie[Return To Dodge]Steve Forest returns as the same character.

8. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

One of the great cameos came at the end of an episode of[Cheyenne]as he rode out of town,who rides in but[Bret Marverick]Cheyenne just smiles shakes his head and rides into the sunset.

9. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Sanford And Son...ol Fred being the player that he was had two dates set up for different nights,but Lamont crossed him up and Fred was sweating when both women showed up on the same night...Classic Comedy!!

10. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

At the beginning of[Sanford And Son]Redd Foxx and Demond Wilson didn't have dressing rooms.

11. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

And he washed dishes in a NYC restaurant where he made friends with another dishwasher named Malcolm Little, who later change his last name to "X".

12. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

The Saturday Morning animated series based on the movie Ghostbusters is called The Real Ghostbusters because Filmation had a live-action show in the 1970s called Ghost Busters which starred Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch (with Tracey The Gorilla). Later, Filmation did an animated series based on their Ghost Busters show called Filmation's Ghostbusters, which featured the sons of the characters in their live-action show.

In The Addams Family, Ted Cassidy played both Lurch and Thing (except in scenes where Lurch and Thing were on screen together). Also, in the TV series Good Eats Thing makes an appearance (he is actually the son of Thing from The Addams Family).

The first episode of Get Smart was the only episode to be filmed in black and white.

The 1960s series Batman was almost renewed for a fourth season. ABC had cancelled the series but NBC was going to pick it up. However, this did not happen due to the sets having already been torn down.

Early Hanna-Barbera series (like The Huckleberry Hound Show) contained three separate segments. This was done so that if the advertisers objected to one segment of the show, the other two could still be used.

Liberty Williams was the first actress to play Tabitha Stephens in the pilot for the show Tabitha. She was replaced by Lisa Hartman in the regular series. They also changed the character of Adam Stephens from being a warlock in the pilot to being just a normal mortal in the regular series.

The Saturday Morning series Hero High was originally going to feature characters from the Archie Comics in the roles of super heroes. However, Filmation lost the rights to the Archie characters and substituted them with new characters (you can tell which character was likely going to be which from the final cartoon). The final series was also made a combination live-action/animated series, with the voice actors for the characters appearing on screen in the roles of their characters in the live-action segments.

In the TV series Lost In Space, Dr. Zachary Smith was originally an ice-cold villain who was going to be killed off. When he remained with the series due to his popularity they toned down his villainous nature so he could stay on the ship.

The series Cheers was the bottom-rated show when it debuted, and only remained on the air because the network had nothing else to put on at the time.

Sid and Marty Kroft's company created the costumes for The Banana Splits.

13. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

How about the original pilot of "All In The Family", shot for ABC in 1969 and then called "Those Were The Days" ...

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I didn't see that until it was released on the AITF DVD set and it's really fascinating to see. :)

MikaelaArsenault and Chris C like this.
  15. Chris C

I've always been a bit fascinated by the house in the old "Bewitched" series. One day while my wife and I were in L.A., some years ago, I was lucky enough to get us onto the famous backlot of what was once "The Columbia Ranch", but is now owned by Warner Brothers and is these days called "The Warner Ranch". To stand on this sacred land, where once, many of the shows that I was raised on ("Bewitched", "I Dream Of Jeannie", "The Monkees", "The Partridge Family" and "The Waltons"), were all home to and to think that most of those old homes still exists on this small plot of land in 2018!

The "Bewitched" house is not really a home, but rather about a 15 foot deep facade, believe it or not? It has appeared in a LOT more than just "Bewitched", as shown by this fun little video that someone took the time to throw together.

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This reminds me of when I went on the Universal Studio backlit tour and was shocked to learn of the concepts of house facades! I was just blown away by the fact that they could make these things that looked just like houses but they were only the front parts that the camera could see.

I always assumed before then that any house exterior I saw on TV was a real house (I knew the shows were shot in a studio but I thought the house exteriors were real houses).

17. Chris C

To add to my little "Bewitched" fun trivia ...

Does the "fountain" from this episode of "Bewitched" look familiar, because it should?

18. Chris C

Here it is ...

19. Chris C

Some of the homes on that street on The Warner Ranch are full homes, such as the two houses to the left of the "Bewitched" facade, which were the homes used in "Lethal Weapon" (Danny Glover's house, originally the "Gidget" home for Sally Field) and the "Christmas Vacation" house (also used in "American Beauty").

Dark Mavis likes this.
  20. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Star Trek: In the episode "City On The Edge Of Forever", at one point James Kirk and Edith Keeler were walking through a town...Mayberry.

sloaches and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yup.

When Star Trek visited Mayberry

22. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Gary Burghoff who played Radar O'Reilly on MASH had a deformed left hand and usually kept it hidden, sometimes by carrying a clipboard.
    He kept it hidden because someone with that birth defect most likely wouldn't have been in the army and also to protect his acting career.

Keith V and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It's true that he / the show producers did hide it often, they didn't hide it entirely all the time:

Did M.A.S.H. Really Never Show Radar O’Reilly’s Left Hand on the Show?

24. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Much like James Doohan (Scotty) in Star Trek. Except Doohan's injury occured while he was IN the army.

25. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Mercedes Ruehl left Frasier after only a handful of episodes for the same reason.
    (I was actually glad to see her go... can't stand her!) :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.