Writers/Bands that were sued for plagiarism.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sons of nothing, Feb 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm aware of some, but I'm sure there are tons. The ones that filed, were they successful? Was it thrown out of court? Was there an out of court settlement? I find this subject intriguing, and hope to see some good ones.

2. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

Carlox, hi_watt, Zeki and 6 others like this.
  3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

“Come Together” by The Beatles was subjected to a lawsuit by Morris Levy’s publishing company, claiming similarities with “You Can’t Catch Me” by Chuck Berry.

Carlox and Zoot Marimba like this.
  4. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Led Zeppelin with half of everything they ever did.
    Okay, exaggeration. Maybe a quarter.
    Best example is how they stole Dazed and Confused from Jake Holmes and gave absolutely zero credit to him, saying that Page had written it. Not a hate post, just pointing out facts. Love their music, but I despise them.

5. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

In my opinion, a silly lawsuit. It was like a line from the song. Stolen, yes, and I don’t condone that but the melody wasn’t even a little similar.

I think one related to The Beatles that actually had merit was the obviously stolen intro from Revolution.

hi_watt and lightbulb like this.
  6. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Curtis Mayfield had to pay Motown for his hit[Can't Satisfy-1966]because he borrowed from[This Old Heart Of Mine-The Isley Bros.].

7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Two famous ones are Hootie & the Blowfish/ "Idiot Wind" and the Stones/k.d. lang. Also, ELP were sued by Brubeck for lifting "Blue Rondo a la Turk" as Rondo.

8. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Keith Jarrett versus Steely Dan is pretty well known:

‘Keith Jarrett sued Becker and Fagen for copyright infringement over the title track of the album, claiming it plagiarised "Long As You Know You're Living Yours" from his 1974 album Belonging. As a result, Jarrett has since been included as a co-author of the track, making it the only Steely Dan song credited to anyone other than Becker and Fagen.[15] In an interview after Gaucho was released, Fagen said that he loved the Jarrett track and had been strongly influenced by it.’

Gaucho (album) - Wikipedia

hi_watt and pablo fanques like this.
  9. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

Madonna was convicted for plagiarising Salvatore Acquaviva's 'Ma vie fout le camp' in 'Frozen'. Decision was overturned in appeal.

10. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Springsteen’s Outlaw Pete rips off “I Was Made For Lovin’ You” by KISS.
    Don’t know if anything was ever done about it.

11. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

The Rolling Stones weren't sued over Anybody Seen My Baby, though. Once the similarity to Constant Craving was pointed out to them, they credited k.d. lang from the outset.

tim_neely, Rojo, Zoot Marimba and 2 others like this.
  12. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Tom Petty I Won't Back Down
    Sam Smith Stay With Me

The latter's songwriters pleaded 'coincidence', TP was more than fair and reasonable about it by all accounts. Petty and Jeff Lynne now co-credited.

hi_watt and DanBNash like this.
  13. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

The Black Crowes successfully sued Gretchen Wilson for ripping off "Jealous Again."

Queen and David Bowie sued Vanilla Ice for stealing "Under Pressure."

Huey Lewis sued Ray Parker Jr. for stealing the Ghostbusters song from"I Want a New Drug."

14. Seagull

Seagull Seabird flavour member

The Verve's "Bitter Sweet Symphony" springs to mind.

15. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

Robin Thicke & Pharrell Williams were sued over similarities with Blurred Lines & Marvin Gaye's 1977 hit Got to Give It Up and ordered $7.4m be paid to Gaye's children.

16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

You can't get sued for plagiarizing a song, only for infringing its copyright. They are quite different things.

Pet peeve when folks talk about plagiarizing a song, as if the problwm was that earlier songs that discussed boys meeting girls in similar ways were not properly cited in a footnote.

17. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I was thinking about this lawsuit the other day. As I recall part of the settlement was that John Lennon had to record the 'Rock And Roll' album recording songs that Levy had the publishing for. Though it was a Lennon song, Come Together was credited to Lennon/McCartney. Was there any penalty for Paul, or did he just have better lawyers than John?

18. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

So what you're saying is, "No, quarter."

;)

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

You (and everyone here) might enjoy this article about how the Roots / Rock 'N' Roll albums came to be- it's quite an interesting story.

John Lennon: The Roots of Rock 'N' Roll

MoonPool, longaway and detroit muscle like this.
  20. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

And then there´s Men At Work´s "DOWN UNDER", which was sued for infringing the copyright of the flute melody, if I remember correctly. The had to give away 100% of the royalties, I seem to remember.

Awfully vague today, aren´t I?

21. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

Sued for stealing the melody of Kookaburra which had been written in 1932 for a Girl Guides camp.

Sean and Jarleboy like this.
  22. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Thank you. You´re clearly less vague that I am at the moment! Thanks for the info. :righton:

bluejimbop and Ash76 like this.
  23. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

I'm also Australian so it was quite a big news story here

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

Vanilla Ice was sued for using the Bassline to Under Pressure

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

But they're totally different songs! Ice said so himself. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.