Drummer on Donavan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Feb 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mai Tem Baht

Mai Tem Baht Forum Resident

Correct!

But it may be, and often is, difficult to replicate.

2. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

That is not what he's saying. Sheesh, some of the folks around here.

davenav, wino14 and Mai Tem Baht like this.
  3. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

How is the difficulty of the drumming relevant? The current phase of the moon is just as meaningful.

Ethan B likes this.
  4. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

was going to say as a drummer it is maybe not that difficult to copy but more difficult to come up with in the first place.

AlmostHeavenWV likes this.
  5. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

So he's not allowed to comment?

unclefred and wino14 like this.
  6. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Of course he's allowed to comment!

The moon is currently 26% visible and increasing.

I like pie.

Fullbug likes this.
  7. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Without looking, I think he plays on the first Lou Reed solo album as well.

malco49 likes this.
  8. Deano6

Deano6 Forum Resident

I don't smoke??????

wino14 and QuestionMark? like this.
  9. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

thread bait from the beginning. It's been discussed here so many times. Cattini is a great drummer. His HGM licks are very Bonham-like, even the sound & production of the drums!

10. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

10 Things Invented by Donovan...

Folk Rock
    Psychedelia
    Finger Picking
    Led Zeppelin
    Liquid Paper
    Dwarves
    Any number between 48 and 73, excluding 59.
    BBC Radio One
    The White Album
    Quantum Mechanics

11. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

Clem Cattini, who played drums on the track [Hurdy Gurdy Man], explained to Songfacts: "John Paul Jones told me this was recorded two years before he met John Bonham and he only ever used me on his sessions. In fact, we worked together in Lulu's band for two years. Also at the time I did a lot of work for Mickie Most who was the producer." Hurdy Gurdy Man by Donovan Songfacts

And, reportedly, he could have been the drummer in Led Zeppelin. Clem Cattini, Britain's record chart topper, keeps that backbeat going strong at 72

I don't see that anyone's posted the song yet, so here t'is.

Shawn likes this.
  12. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

That Guardian article shows how myths get propagated just like with HGM. Clem wasn't on You Really Got Me, it was Bobby Graham, who rivalled Clem as session drum doyen. To add to the confusion I think some sessions recorded more than one drummer. It's Not Unusual recorded at least 4 - Bobby Graham, Chris Slade, Andy White, and Ronnie Verrell, who possibly was the one who made the final cut.

13. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

I laughed like a drain at this, so true. Donovan's not one for modesty!

edenofflowers likes this.
  14. Bill

Bill Senior Member

I would take those album credits with a grain of salt. I consider Thunderclap to be a Pete Townshend alias, a bit of musical sherbet to cleanse things after the overwhelming phenomenon of Tommy. Lots of the Thunderclap tracks sound like Pete's Who demos that have subsequently come to light on the Scoop releases and elsewhere. Note that the Thunderclap album was distributed by Atco, which had tried, and failed to become the Who's label with Substitute, rebuffed by Decca, and subsequently the home of Pete's solo work. All very curious.

Fullbug and John B like this.
  15. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Exactly. It suits the song

16. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Mr. Cattini also appeared on:

"Ernie (The Fastest Milkman In The West" - Benny Hill.

Both images:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Clemente Anselmo Arturo Cattini.

Fullbug, AlmostHeavenWV and John B like this.
  17. Is that in dispute? My "Truth" CD says it's Beck (electric lead guitar), Jimmy Page (electric 12-string guitar), Keith Moon (drums), John Paul Jones (bass), and Nicky Hopkins (piano). If you can't trust the "Truth", who can you trust?

imawalrus and QuestionMark? like this.
  18. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

I totally agree. I just said it wasnt difficult to play. Also the drums were recorded very well.

Deano6 likes this.
  19. karmicg

karmicg Forum Resident

He most definitely is not the drummer on Cocker's WALHFMF, rather, that is performed by the greatest drummer to ever have lived, the late great Mr. BJ Wilson. :) Discuss!

20. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

Didnt say it wasnt great. Damn guys I love the song and the drumming. Always have. Just said it wasnt difficult. Get a friggin grip. I wish I could be as snarky as some people are up here but was taught to respect other peoples opinion. Good Grief Charlie Brown

Deano6 likes this.
  21. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

SMDH
    I give up...I am gushing now. I am a drummer and this is the hardest piece I've ever tried to play. I think I broke my left wrist on the first roll of the chorus...............get a grip people!!! I love the song...I love the drumming....it's not hard to play. Thats all I said.

Deano6 likes this.
  22. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i think he does indeed! along with rick wakeman and steve howe!

phillyal1 likes this.
  23. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

Do you mean John Paul Jones? I would love to hear a long sit down interview with him. I don't pay a lot of attention to what most of these guys have to say but it would be nice to hear from some of them that have had so little to say.

24. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah. I meant JPJ. Too late to correct once I realized!

25. Laineycrusoe

Laineycrusoe Forum Resident

I know I'm going off topic here, but Thunderclap Newman certainly wasn't Pete Townsend under an alias. While he was the producer and bassist on the album and put the band together, the band itself was put together mainly to showcase the talents of the three members, one of whom was the drummer and main songwriter who had known and worked with Pete prior to the group's existence and was interested in forming a band (Pete did not write any of the group's songs, though he did help with the arrangements and they did some of the recording at his home studio which is probably why they sound like the Who demos you mention). There's also an interview with Andy 'Thunderclap' Newman from 2009 where he talks about the band's history, and not only does his recollection of events match up with the 'official' story, but he also talks about the recording of Something in the Air and he goes into detail about them (the three band members plus Pete Townshend) recording the song's basic track themselves as well as the rest of the album, which would support the credits as listed on the album sleeve.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.