Songwriters who just have a natural gift for melody

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by anthontherun, Feb 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

we should all seriously be ashamed the first name we didnt mention is Burt Bacharach. his middle name is melody.

2. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Sarah Mclachlan lush melodies
    Harry Nilsson

lemonade kid, audiomixer and oboogie like this.
  3. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Guess you did mention them...on this very forum....thereby making it non-myopic.
    So you were wrong.

Howver, there are at least 40 pages of posts that mention Cole Porter and Oscar Hammerstein, so it really wasn’t myopic to begin with... so you were wrong there too.

Thanks for playing and trying to be condescending.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Spear and Magic Helmet and Rojo like this.
  4. John54

John54 Senior Member

Mark Burgess

5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

40 pages of how many in total? 610,000? I'm wondering how to make a good comparison (going by stats on the available page). Look, it's no secret that this forum is largely rock-centric. That's the only point I was trying to make. There are certainly many folks who dig on jazz, but they are certainly not in the majority here. Having read the thread, I didn't see a single jazz composer. Let's leave this as my point.

7. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

...then you obviously overlooked my tiny little microscopic post of one artist....
    :p

8. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I hate to pile on but mingus and monk were mentioned on the first page as well :tiphat:

ralph7109 likes this.
  9. Many of the the usual suspects have already been identified. Along with a questionable choice or two (there's more to songcraft- especially melodically inventive songcraft- than isolating one simple sequence of notes and repeating it metronomically.)

My choice is Tom Petty.

As a tyro guitar player, I haven't found anyone more consistently able to spin original-sounding, fully fledged songs with memorable melodies and singable choruses out of absurdly simple transitions between the most basic chords on a guitar. Taken as a catalog, even Neil Young songs are more complicated.

Both of those guys write songs that are just silly simple. But they fit them together so well. I find songwriting achievements like those especially impressive because I can tell that it's going to take a while for me to get the hang of the changes for tunes like "Your Gold Teeth, Part II."

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  10. Boy Blue

Boy Blue Forum Resident

11. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Lennon & McCartney
    Donovan
    Benny and Bjorn from ABBA

dcincinci, Tord, Doggiedogma and 2 others like this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

There's many here I agree with. Paul McCartney has to be at the top of the list. When I hear some of his stuff I just have to smile at the utter beauty of it.

Also, the Bee Gees. Barry Gibb and his brothers could certainly knock out a tune.

Elton John and Bowie too.

13. Werner Berghofer

Werner Berghofer Forum Resident

Fabrizio De André
    Philip Glass
    Jason Isbell
    Eileen Jewell
    Meredith Monk
    Lucinda Williams

14. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Thomas Wright "Fats" Waller.
    As James P Johnson said "Some people have music in them, but Fats was all music. And you know how big he was!"

Tord, MaggieMac and Crimson Witch like this.
  15. garyt

garyt Forum Resident

3 pages in, and no mention of Paddy McAloon, Colin Moulding or Ben Folds!

16. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

McAloon definitely, not familiar enough with the works of Moulding or Folds to say.

Laura Nyro, unless I've missed a mention, is another notable absentee from these pages.

Aurora likes this.
  17. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

John Linnell

EVOLVIST likes this.
  18. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

Ron Sexsmith (especially his latest album!)

19. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Michael Dunford had this until Renaissance died - even the synthpop albums had decent melodies.

peter fuller likes this.
  20. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

Robert Pollard
    Dean Wells
    Paul Weller
    Lou Barlow

21. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Damon Albarn(BLUR)
    Ray Davies(The Kinks)
    Smokey Robinson
    Stevie Wonder
    David Byrne
    Joe Jackson
    Robert Smith(The CURE)
    Andy Partridge(XTC)-Would make the list just on the song 'Dear God' alone
    Alex Kapranos(Franz Ferdinand)-Not sure if Paul Thomson also co-wrote some of those great melodies
    James Dean Bradford(Manic Street Preachers-'Everything Must Go' is a great melodic album that followed the 'not so' melodic, but brilliant Rock Album, 'The Holy Bible', but future albums were more melodic driven)
    Buckingham, C.McVie & Nicks(Fleetwood Mac)

I recently discovered Frankie Valli(spelling?) through his Interview with Dan Rather(AXS TV), and thought his Songs were very melodic.

22. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Tom Petty
    Ryan Adams

Doggiedogma and CCrider92 like this.
  23. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

When thinking of Smokey Robinson, we shouldn’t forget Marv Tarplin, who composed the melodies of some memorable Smokey hits such as “TheTracks Of My Tears”. Also, Stevie Wonder composed or co-composed the melody of “Tears Of A Clown”. Smokey’s facility with lyrics was, however, all his own.

Regarding John Lennon, he composed so many of the Beatles’ earlier and memorable tracks. I sense that Paul McCartney took slightly longer to really find his composer mojo but from a melodic standpoint it was more enduring.

I was surprised that the Brothers Gibb didn’t get mentioned more quickly. Perhaps I’m impatient.

Honourable mention for Clive Westlake who wrote “I Close My Eyes And Count To Ten” by Dusty Springfield. So many melodies in a single song.

Nice to see Laura Nyro mentioned.

Lionel Bart.

Sam Smith. Some of his songs are sooo musical and melodic. “I’m Not The Only One” could have been written by Stevie Wonder at his peak.

Hadean75 likes this.
  24. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Frankie Valli’s songs were mainly composed by Bob Gaudio. Frankie just sung them.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Freedy Johnston for sure

Uncle Ernie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.