Black Panther (February 16, 2018)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Sure, it's hyperbole, but "The Whiz" was a flop. "Black Panther" isn't.

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Well, it shouldn't have been! "Ease on down ease on down the road!" How have the not made a remake with Beyonce yet?

3. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I saw it last night and enjoyed it, but there's a lot to chew on before I can make any kind of articulate statements. That in itself is significant, because it's a superhero movie about much more than what's just on the screen. There are plenty of Hollywood tropes and some flat, clichéd dialogue, but the way it reflects our society is something else entirely.

carrick doone and mikeyt like this.
  4. Saw a 3-D screening of 'Black Panther' last night. It's 'universe' is intelligent, proud, unique & interesting, with a narrative in the 'battle for the throne' tradition. Will be interesting to see where they go from here. I absolutely loved the comic as a kid back in the 1970's...

[​IMG]

5. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

It's typical Marvel fare: good guys, bad guys, gadgets, betrayal. Seemed a bit Lion King meets Bond (there's even a Q introducing the latest gee-whiz stuff) but with moar accents.

Thor: Ragnarok is still my fave of the recent batch of comic book superhero moofies.

--Geoff

mikeyt, Purple Jim and Dudley Morris like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I need to see it again. I suspect the plot is deeper and more complex than it appears at first glance. And T'Chaka's sister Shuri is a delight. Even the bad guy Ulysses Klaue, played by Andy Serkis was wonderful, being evil because it was fun.

mikeyt likes this.
  7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yikes! Lousy movie. I saw it this evening. I wasn't bonkers on seeing it but reviews, enthusiasm here and a free (birthday) ticket sent me off to the cinema.
    It's just too much. Bonkers and full of clichés. It's as embarrassingly bad as "Avatar" or the worst moments of "Star Wars - Episode I".
    The Andy Serkiss character was fun but as for the rest :rolleyes:. The ridiculous James Bond Q girl with all her gadgets prepared for our hero :rolleyes:. Forest Whitaker doing his usual soppy grimacing and the utterly useless character played by the ridiculously out of place Martin Freeman (with his hopeless American accent). Blurry, boring fight sequences. Over-the-top, toy town technology. Jeez. Good job I didn't pay to see this thing.

DHamilton, 2trackmind and Scott222C like this.
  8. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I thought it was very good, and one of the better installments in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I don’t think it’s the best superhero movie ever (or even the best Marvel movie ever), but it was still very good. Although there was still no shortage of drawn-out CGI battles, I still felt the visual style to be a refreshing change from Marvel’s norm.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Everyone seen it spoilers not necessary I guess.

10. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I just got back from seeing it. It was okay. I liked the world building. I'd place it in the middle of the pack for Marvel movies. I didn't really connect with any of the characters and I'm in the minority because I didn't like Shuri. She was another one of those "every line has to be witty snappy snarky" characters that always annoy me. They don't feel real. It's like I can see the screenwriter coming up with it.

I do like Chadwick Boseman and I look forward to seeing more of him in Infinity War. And I will agree with Purple Jim-- I thought the fight scenes were blurry, cut too tightly and incomprehensible. The two challenge fights at the waterfall especially. I couldn't tell what was going on in either one.

11. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

12. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

It seems odd to me that an advanced civilization like Wakanda, chooses their leader by physical combat. It makes no sense.

Purple Jim, Dudley Morris and Ethan B like this.
  13. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Saw it yesterday. Frankly, I'm getting sick of all of these fights in these films.

pblmow, 2trackmind and Ghostworld like this.
  14. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I've read enough about this movie to know there's no chance i'll be watching it. I'll stick with Ant-Man

pblmow, Purple Jim and Ethan B like this.
  15. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

Why are you going to see a super hero movie then?

Walt, Stormrider77, Bryan and 3 others like this.
  16. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I really loved the antagonist, Killmonger. One of the qualities of a great story villain is being able to tell the story from their perspective and still get an interesting plot and they nailed that here. And at the end of the day, Killmonger was right about some things and was the driving force of change. Really great stuff there. I also really dug all of the historical and cultural references sprinkled throughout.

17. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I like Ant-Man. I like Black Panther too. But a Disney film trailer using a Gil-Scott Heron song? I felt that something would have had to get lost in the translation, and from i've read, that's the case.

Ghostworld likes this.
  18. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Just saw it this morning with my family. Absolutely loved it. For me, it kind of married the metaphysical spirituality of Doctor Strange with the action and technology of the Iron Man series. The cast is one of the best I've seen in any movie, let alone a Marvel film. Great story. Flawed heroes. Interesting villains. It was great.

I disagree. No matter how far any civilization advances, there are always imperfections. As humans, we struggle to balance the primal with the intellectual. Warfare presents the ultimate in contradictions. Violence and killing are clearly savage. Yet, the struggle of warfare often focuses the mind the way other pursuits do not. Selecting their own leader through physical combat, but choosing not to use their advanced technology for conquest could be viewed as more civilized than the other way around.

Loved her within the first few minutes of the movie.

19. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Poor Walking Dead. The cast is shining outside of the show.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Disappointed this scene included no riddles! :shh:

[​IMG]

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

"The Wiz" was a flop because it was a bad movie. To the day I'll die, I'll never figure out who thought it was a good idea to have a white guy known for gritty dramas direct a musical with an entirely African-American cast!

Beyonce is too old to play Dorothy - though of course, Diana Ross was like 80 when she played Dorothy in the movie, so that might not stop them! :D

Anyway, they did a live TV remake of "The Wiz" a few years back. Dunno if it was any good or not:

The Wiz Live! - Wikipedia !

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

For me, Andy will always be Martin Hannett from "24 hour Party People"!

Dudley Morris likes this.
  23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I, too, wonder about this reboot of images and songs. It's kind of confusing. For instance, the "raised fist" of the Black Panther Party over the corner of the Black Panther trailer. Call me comic stupid, is Black Panther supposed to be tied to Black Panther Party (circa '60) somehow, or is he completely different? Because seeing the American Black Panther Party logo is confusing me.

[​IMG]

24. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

He wasn't. In fact they tried to change his name to "Panther" for a brief period but a whole of people complained "from the four corners of everywhere." It's a just a watered-down appropriation.

Ghostworld likes this.
  25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Hmmm. And I once thought using John Lennon songs to sell tennis shoes was bad.

Hall Cat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.