Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sterling Cooper

Sterling Cooper Forum Resident

I also enjoy the guitar tone from the RAH recordings, especially on “I Can’t Quit You Baby”. Really blows the roof off. It makes the studio version seem tame.

2. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Saw Page and Plant back in the 90s and during a Hurdy Gurdy solo Page was putting ice on his left hand. This was back when he was in his 50s. I don't see him playing live anymore.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  3. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

People argue about this... but, when was the last time, after Zeppelin broke up, not counting the O2 show, that Jimmy has soloed on par with his Zeppelin days??

I can't think of any excellent noteworthy performances. But I certainly haven't seen or heard them all...

Most of Jimmy's performances onstage with other legends... he just lays in the back playing rhythm I guess.

4. Do you think the O2 was Jimmy's best soloing since 1980?

5. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Coverdale/Page was his most inspiring guitar playing since Zeppelin.

6. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I would say the Outrider Tour, the 1998 Page/Plant Tour, and The Black Crows stuff all hold up.

7. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Probably not. But could or did Jimmy consistently solo well on tours after '80. I don't know the whole story. Any double or triple guitar backing onstage will help fill in any gaps I suppose.

I was really looking forward to going to see them on tour. I know I would have enjoyed that more than the P&P outing!! I don't care for Plant with page unless it's the "Led Zeppelin" Plant. The other "Plants" with Page, with a few exceptions, don't do it for me.

Great... then you'll be pleased with whatever comes along. Enjoy !!

I never liked Tea For One. [Moderator edit: Discussion of "Tea for One" has been moved out of this thread into a dedicated thread, here. Please discuss in that thread.]

I liked the blues number "I'm Gonna Crawl" on ITTOD better.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2018
  8. cincyjim

cincyjim Senior Member

Jimmy Page has been planning Led Zeppelin's fiftieth anniversary for 18 months - Led Zeppelin News

Page was interviewed for the cover story of Planet Rock magazine’s sixth issue, and he said that he’s spent over a year planning how to mark the band’s anniversary.

“I can’t give the game away,” Page said in the interview, “but there’s a recording that’s another multi-track that we’ll release. It’s so different to all the other things that are out there. It’s another view compared to How The West Was Won or The Song Remains The Same. I’m looking forward to people hearing that.”

Page also said that he has plans to continue releasing Led Zeppelin material over the next 10 years. “There’s a lot of stuff to come out, a number of releases,” Page said. “I’d like to say that they’ll be coming out over the next 10 years. There’s more to come for sure.”

Page also raised the idea of releasing Led Zeppelin material in 5.1 surround sound. “I started thinking about doing surround-sound mixes around the Led Zeppelin ‘DVD’,” Page said, “but it is about thinking ahead, so things really do link up. There’s more to come, for sure.”

Purple Jim likes this.
  9. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Li'l off topic, but just watched the comeback "Celebration Day" Blu ray again today. Fantastic live recording!

10. Would love to hear Zep studio LPs in (well mixed) 5.1. Hope this happens!

rd1 likes this.
  11. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Sean, rd1, tribby2001 and 3 others like this.
  12. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Jimmy Page is a very busy man...

Sean and Larry C. McGinnis III like this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Page really is going to make me buy these albums again.

15. He's going to be seen thinking in 2019.

16. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

He is?

17. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Sure. He's busy practicing for his big comeback... you know, next year. :laugh:

Sean, supermd, J_D__ and 2 others like this.
  18. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

At 74 with all of these projects, he is!

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  19. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Page Diddy is working on 4/26/69 Winterland!!!:winkgrin:(I WISH!)
    We should take fun bets on what`s on the way!:nyah:

20. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

21. gohill

gohill Senior Member

I see Jimmy saying in Uncut that Tangerine sounds great and he does not know why they let it off HTWWW the 1st time but he decided not to add it to the new one as he wanted to preserve the integrity of the original release. That is just daft.

1. the integrity was hardly sacrosanct when he flew in instrumental parts from one of the 2 gigs into separate takes of the other gig in places to overdub slight mistakes.
    2. it was a posthumous live album compilation so hardly original LZ canon
    3. People like me who wont be buying the new version would have probably done so with just that one additional track added, so a loss there that could have been addressed. I don't mind the sound of the original. It is a live recording and sounds good to me compared to contemporary boots.

Jimijam, Sean, swedgin and 9 others like this.
  22. gohill

gohill Senior Member

...unless Jimmy specifically mentioning the 72 live version of Tangerine as being great was a hint that it will be part of the long mooted chronological live Zep through the ages live album he once talked about. Perhaps that is one of the releases on the immediate horizon. It would certainly get around a lot of the uneven nature of their multitracked unreleased gigs if Page has cherry picked the best songs from what he has to present it in a similar way to the DVD. T gives the grand illusion that LZ were always majestic live when it was just some of the time.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  23. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Dear Zepp fans:

Discussion of "Tea for One" was sidetracking this thread. That discussion is fine, but not in this thread, specifically, as it's largely off-topic. Discussion has been moved to a new, dedicated thread: Led Zeppelin: "Tea for One" . Please continue the discussion there, and let's return this thread to its original topic.

Carry on!

24. Adam Ryan Watson.

Adam Ryan Watson. Well-Known Member

Would anyone complain about jimmy screwing up hwww by adding the missing tracks. Yeah presenting the full set list really would have lessened or ruined the listening experience for people . It might just be the lamest thing that page has ever said. What zeppelin fan would object to more live zeppelin on multitrack form.

Sean, superstar19 and rockclassics like this.
  25. Jerjo

Jerjo Forum Resident

I was listening to an interview with Plant promoting his new tour and he was asked about the 50th anniversary. He said: Well, we're planning to get together and talk about it. Basically, it's very difficult to find stuff that still is unheard, and not only will it be 50 years, but it'll be, next year, 38 years since John [Bonham] passed away. And the great thing about Led Zeppelin was that we didn't chronicle ourselves; we just kind of went from town to town and sang songs and played guitars and stuff. And then went about our lives. The whole idea of chronicling the life of people in bands … In a way, I wish that we had more stuff to look at, but there will be a book of photographs and stuff. But some of it will be particularly interesting, I think. Beyond that, musically, there's bits and pieces lying around, but not an album or anything like that. But there will be a celebration, I'm sure, somewhere. A cork will pop! [makes sound effects]

supermd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.