Films on DVD that now differ on Blu-ray release?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by NightGoatToCairo, Feb 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Same here.

2. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I've begun a process where I will buy Blu-ray cases that hold two discs. Then I'll put the old DVD of the film on the extra hub and file away the artwork in a big file with other DVD artwork. That way, the DVD is still handy if I need it for some reason, and takes up no more space than the Blu-ray itself. I like holding onto DVDs as my computer doesn't handle Blu-rays, so if I need a quick image, I have the DVD to use.

3. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Little Shop of Horrors (1986) - For the first time includes the option of watching with the fully restored infamous cut multimillion-dollar original ending (deemed “The Director’s Cut” - Frank Oz wasn’t involved in assembling it but gave the finished product his full approval).

However the choice between the theatrical or Director’s Cut version is done by simply branching off the two endings, and the transfer for the rest of the movie is of the Director’s Cut, so there’s a couple (pretty minor) alternate shots and transitions present earlier in the movie, meaning the “theatrical version” is not truly that.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks...

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Last Of The Mohicans?

6. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Did they find another Mohican for the blu-ray release? :confused:

boggs, scobb, The Hud and 2 others like this.
  7. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Heat (Comparison: Theatrical Version - Blu-Ray) - Movie-Censorship.com

This is one of my favorite movies of all time. The Blu-ray is really good, but I see no reason to discard the Special Edition DVD which has the theatrical cut. No idea why they didn't just use the theatrical cut for the Blu-ray. There was nothing wrong with it.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Raiders of the Lost Ark has a couple of differences between the DVD and Blu-ray. The cliff scene was altered.

There was some kind of alteration made to the cobra scene as well. Apparently, there was some kind of reflection in the original version that was altered for the Blu-ray release.

9. HGN2001

The William Friedkin film SORCERER had an alteration to its ending that many feel was not necessary. The sound of a gunshot was inserted for the restored Blu-ray and DVD that wasn't there originally in older, crappier DVDs. The film looks so much better in its widescreen ratio and with the gorgeous color palette after restoration that I think a lot of fans are willing to accept this one tiny change.

And, it turns out that if one switches to the Spanish audio track at the right moment, one can avoid the added gunshot.

10. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

That change to the cliff scene is weird.... it's not a huge alteration, and unless someone has seen the film numerous times, they might not even catch it... but it was noticeable to me and just felt strange and slightly "off". I wonder what the reasoning was behind the alteration?

As for the cobra scene, I think the reflection had been removed in some prior DVD releases as well... I don't think it's a Bluray-exclusive change. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, though.

goodiesguy and Encuentro like this.
  11. alexpop

Some DVDs are worth keeping not for DVD advantage of original color platte, or running time. But ..for extras

goodiesguy, Chad75 and audiomixer like this.
  12. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The Criterion edition is also a slightly different edit of the film. Cimino made some minor tweaks during the restoration, although I've never seen a definitive list of all the exact changes that were done.

Claus LH likes this.
  13. alexpop

The longer cut DVD version of Road To Peridition has never been on blu ray yet.

14. alexpop

Don't think dvds are going to get the same love Vinyl is getting now. All those that dumped their Vinyl for the compact regreted it later. But I think some movies DVDs have value, at least aesthetically.

audiomixer likes this.
  15. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

The Executive Decision BD has some scenes removed.

Rocker likes this.
  16. HGN2001

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE had a Director's Cut on DVD but the Blu-ray returned to the theatrical edition only.

audiomixer likes this.
  17. alexpop

Still with digital downloads ( popularity)you can still find a abundance of DVDs ( and Blu Rays ) in your local Oxfam.

18. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Forum Resident

The first (2001) DVD of "The Warriors" was the theatrical cut. The second DVD and the Blu-Ray have the Director's Cut with the Greek mythology introduction and those awful comic book transitions. Netflix has shown the theatrical cut in HD, so it IS out there.

daca, Jim B., Kirk76 and 2 others like this.
  19. Chad75

Chad75 Forum Resident

I sure hope they release the theatrical cut on Blu-ray, but since Paramount hardly releases catalog titles besides their best sellers, might never happen. Perhaps they can license it to Kino Lorber or Olive Films for release.

NickCarraway likes this.
  20. Or even better, licence it to Arrow. The Director's Cut is terrible, those comic book scenes and the voice over (done by Walter Hill himself) don't fit themovie at all.

Jim B. likes this.
  21. Michael

Lethal Weapon 1,2,3 are the theatrical versions on BD...

22. Michael

The Punisher on BD is the theatrical version...

23. As I recall, he just cut a brief scene with some dialog he no longer liked.

Michael likes this.
  24. The invasion of teal.

HGN2001, Michael and Strat-Mangler like this.
  25. Michael

ridiculous...he should have just left it alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.