Pick a Song From A Great LP That Should Have Been Its Opening Track

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mooserfan, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RandyP

RandyP Forum Resident

"Solsbury Hill" would have made a much better opening track on Peter Gabriel's 1st album than "Moribund The Burgermeister."

andrewskyDE and maui jim like this.
  2. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Can't agree. "I Zimbra" has a weird vibe that's upbeat but also sort of disorienting. I think it sets up the oncoming darkness perfectly.

fallbreaks and Octowen like this.
  3. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I just finished listening to a podcast on Born To Run and the presenter and guest did a great job of selling it as a perfect (for Springsteen at the time) album - both in terms of track order and in terms of the influences in the set. Thunder Road is the perfect opener coming from the earthy jangly earlier albums and it kind of sets the scene for the journey - has to start slow but hang on - then you hit some frenetic highs (10th Avenue, BTR, She's The One) and the best all time closer - Jungleland. BTR was the first track written and anchors the album in the middle (opener of Side 2). Perfect.

Marc Perman likes this.
  4. Aurora

Aurora Forum Resident

"To Beat the Devil" - Kris Kristofferson (Kristofferson)

5. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

I did, but that thought hadn't occurred to me. I never saw the album, in its entirety, as qualitatively different from its predecessor. They're both great...actually I like the S/T better to tell you the truth!

O Don Piano likes this.
  6. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

RUBBER SOUL-I've Just Seen A Face
    The US got this one right.

7. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I always thought R.E.M.'s second LP should have started with the b-side opener, "Second Guessing," with its chorus of "Here we are . . . " And during the LP era, I did! The band intentionally muddied the waters about which side was the A and which the B.

Following the very produced sound of their debut EP and LP, RECKONING was stripped to essentials, so the "Here we are" chorus made sense as a musical manifesto of sorts. Or so I thought.

8. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

If you were from New Jersey you might feel differently.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  9. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I don't disagree with any of that, except of course for the reasons I stated as to why I still think the title track makes the album work even better. It's just my humble opinion though. No harm in enjoying it as is of course. My aim isn't to suggest the album isn't already near-perfect. I'm just offering how it could be even more perfect (for me). :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    OptimisticGoat likes this.
  10. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

That the studio version of "Thunder Road" is better? Or that "Born To Run" wouldn't be a perfect, chill-inducing jewel of an opener? :)

11. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

The “It’s a town for losers, I’m pulling out of here to win” part!

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  12. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I like Back In The USSR as the opener with the jets in the front of the song.

Boy Blue and Octowen like this.
  13. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

A lot of these suggestions plump for the most obviously strong track on the album. Not sure that's a good idea. After you have heard that, then what? If anything I prefer it when the obvious standout track is the final one.

Marc Perman likes this.
  14. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

I usually have 'Rock It (Prime Jive)' start the album, followed by 'Dragon Attack'. Unusual that they opened their album with a ballad.

setalpgninnpsekil likes this.
  15. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

Odd choice? Remember it's from the album The Game...Get it? Play the Game. ..The Game.... Play this damn thing...Get it?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  16. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I like albums where the opener is almost a throwaway (but still good).
    It shows confidence.
    Having said that, Salesman is a great opener for the Monkees Pisces album but The Door Into Summer would have made for a beautiful opening track.

Mooserfan likes this.
  17. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Rolling Stones, always good for a laugh around here. The Beatles for example have way worse lyrics than SFTD.

18. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Railroad Days followed by Just For Me and You should have opened Poco's From the Inside album. It's a great album, just oddly sequenced (to me).

19. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Absolutely nothing as politically incorrect as that line in SFTD.

Ridiculous in 1968
    Ridiculous in 2018

20. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident Thread Starter

True. And maybe then Salesman could've gotten its due. As a lead off, it seemed too much a clone of Taxman.

Keith V likes this.
  21. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I always thought Physical Grafitti should have started with In the Light, or maybe The Rover. Custard Pie is kind of a ridiculous opener, probably the weakest on any of their studio albums. (Still a cool song though!) Did they draw the running order of Physical Grafitti out of a hat or something?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.