Audiotechnica: "AT-MONO 3/SP" vs. "VM 670 SP"

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hlennarz, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last year I picked up a few old shellac records. I was wondering wich of these 2 carts (those are in my budget) is best ? They are only 10 bucks apart on amazon.

2. hlennarz

Anyone?

3. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

When you say shellac, do you mean 78 RPM records? If so, neither one of these are designed for 78s- they are designed for mono vinyl LPs.

4. hlennarz

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  5. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I stand corrected. The Mono 3/SP has much lower output than the VM 670sSP (not the one I was thinking of either) so you'd have to take that into account.

The VM670SP has a 3 mil stylus, the 3/SP has a 2.5 mil. If it were my money between the two I'd go VM670SP. It also has a user replaceable stylus- the 3/SP doesn't.

6. hlennarz

Output voltage shouldn't be a problem. My regular cartdridge (AT440mlb @ 4mV) runs on my preamp (Art DJ PreII) with the gain dial set to 0 out of 8. Allready clipping on some records at +1.

7. blakep

blakep Senior Member

If you have the gain I would lean toward the AT Mono 3/SP.

Granted, I am a bit biased as I own the Mono 3/LP. As an owner of that cartridge I can tell you it is fabulous value; I compared the LP to a much more expensive stereo cartridge strapped for mono and was shocked at how much better the inexpensive AT sounds.

The AT Mono 3's are in fact "true mono" cartridges which is one of, if not the biggest reasons why the LP version sounds so much better than a strapped for mono, albeit much more expensive stereo design. It is not really clear to me from the description of the VM 670 as to whether or not it is indeed a true mono design or simply internally strapped for mono.

Secondly, as a mature design, there is a lot of trickle down technology in the AT Mono 3's, namely the aluminum body from the AT 33 series, which IMO would be grossly superior to the plastic/moulded body in the newer VM 670.

8. hlennarz

I'm leaning towards it as well. Few days left till next month wich i'll wait. :righton:

9. hlennarz

Finally received the AT-MONO3/SP very impressed !
    First result after some cleanup (youtube or windows movie maker added quite a bit of artifacts. wmm seems to have issues with mono audio)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.