More songs per side of 2xLP set to get lengthier play. Would you be OK with that?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Strat-Mangler, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Lots of LPs get reissued as 2xLP sets and I see the songs are mostly equally distributed between the 4 sides. However, in some cases, it can even result in a single side having a mere 2-3 songs on it, resulting in a lot of disc-flipping.

Would you be OK with having one or more songs filling up the empty space on an LP side, therefore leaving side 4 of a 2xLP set empty? This would result in a lengthier side and less disc-flipping.

Let's take John Mayer's Continuum as an example. The first side only has 3 songs totaling just a bit more than 12 min of playing time. The next 3 songs could easily fit but the 4 sides have a roughly equal amount of playing time. I'd rather have 3 packed sides and an empty side 4 so I could listen to each side for longer.

I'm assuming most people wouldn't be OK with it which is why it's not the way it is done.

fitzrik likes this.
  2. Peter Mork

Peter Mork Forum Resident

Yes. 12 minutes on one side of a 33 1/3 disc is not enough. 3-sided LPs are fine.

3. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Taking a ploy from the heyday of CDs glory days, why isn’t the “extra space” on 2LP vinyl releases filled up with a bonus track or two?

That would be ideal: purchase value is added, with an extra incentive.

On second thought, Nevermind -
    The record labels will slap a “More Music!!!” plug sticker on the front, and increase the cost by $5...

:cry: o_O :shake:

tin ears, fitzrik and Szeppelin75 like this.
  4. Donal

Donal Forum Resident

I would go for less recorded space on each album side.

5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

They did that with the two disc Cars reissues. Some of them have laser etching of art work on side four. I would much rather have more songs on each side and I think twice now before buying 45rpm. I love Steve's work on the two disc Rumours but rarely play it. I hate flipping it after 2-3 songs.

fitzrik and MitchLT like this.
  6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Great idea! Let's ruin the flow of albums by artificially extending the tracklist. Just like it was 1988 all over again:uhhuh:

Maybe they could use the space for advertising:uhhuh:

lightbulb likes this.
  7. True, because extra tracks on side 4 instead of empty space means you will play side 4 and ruin the flow. There's just no way around this problem. o_O

tin ears, Rojo and fitzrik like this.
  8. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

A 3 sided album was the norm for situations where songs exceeded the capacity of 2 sides. I'm not at all sure why the recent trend has been to go to 4 sides. For re-issues, some artists have opted for the 4 sides to keep some continuity with a previous 2 sided release. Making them a 3 sided release would have required a song sequencing change. The Beastie Boys did this. I don't have a problem in these cases. But when the a CD or other digital media is the reference, this isn't the case. I will state that if they go 4 sides and release a 45 rpm cut, then I'm also fine with 4 sides. Fiona Apple's Tidal was cut to 45 rpm. The point is that if you are going to use 4 sides, cut, have a reason for it that is obvious. Otherwise, cut 3 sides.

9. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

If the price is right!

JG

10. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

That Petrol Emotion "Manic Pop Thrill"

Reissued on double-10" vinyl. Side 4 has the b-sides, 1-3 ha the album proper. It does mean that the original side closer and side 2 opener are on the same side of vinyl..

11. Donal

Donal Forum Resident

12. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Yes, The Who Sell Out proved advertising can be a great idea!
    ;)

Same complaint, different media...:sigh:

I think inserting an extra song within an already established track list would definitely “ruin the flow”, but adding a song or two at the end of an album causes no harm.

Similar to a CD release that has bonus tracks, after the end of an album proper, adding extra tracks on side four of a 2 LP release would be OK with me.

However, I realize I have the ability to press the Stop button on the CD player, or lift the needle of the record, whenever I desire.

When playing a CD, I’m not obligated to listen to the entire 70+ minute disc.
    Similarly, when playing vinyl, I believe no one has to feel committed to play the entire side.

However, I understand YMMV.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  13. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

3 sided and an etched side 4 is fine with me! The recent Thurston Moore LP is like that.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  14. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I see absolutely no problems with that as long as the grooves aren't crammed in per side that would result in poorer sound quality and increased likelihood of IGD.

Donal and Strat-Mangler like this.
  15. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

I like what The Decemberists did for the vinyl version of Picaresque - the album proper on the first 3 sides and extra tracks on side 4.
    That way it doesn't interrupt the flow of the album but gives the listener bonus tracks if they want to hear them

tin ears and lightbulb like this.
  16. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

I have one 45rpm reissue, Bags and Trane. It sounds wonderful but I've only played it once.
    I say more music per side.

17. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

As an aside here's an attempt to solve the problem of a track that starts quiet and gets louder towards the end.

Techmoan is a great youtube channel about old hardware including some that have been discussed here. This record is actually quite new however but is a real curiosity.

tin ears and DeRosa like this.
  18. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

Personally, it doesn't bother me all that much. I'd rather see less music per side as opposed to having a lowered dynamic range. Sure sometimes it can become a hassle to flip sides, but it's not really that much of an issue, it's just what you do.

I was always told that 18-20 minutes of music was the most that should be put on a side of vinyl, otherwise you're losing some of the dynamic range that the format offers. So in the case of the John Mayer album mentioned above, sure you can add more music per side (staying within those guidelines), but the link above (10 things you should know about pressing vinyl), says 18 minutes max. (Sure they could go longer, but with a comprimise on the sound). But using 18 minutes per side sure they could easily put 4 songs on side 1 and 2, but the last 4 songs would be pushing it, and they'd probably have to put one single last song on side 4. Would you rather have your listening experience broken up to equal parts or still have to play all 4 sides for 1 song on the last side? Maybe it's an artistic choice symmetrically, maybe for the premium product you're getting the best possible arrangement.

I do like the idea of bonus tracks on side 4, Depeche Mode, David Bowie, and U2 have all done this...Garbage even added a vinyl only hidden track on side 4 of Strange Little Birds along with an etching.

nosliw and lightbulb like this.
  19. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Foo Fighters did this with their new album, which is a 2LP Set with the songs spread across three sides. The fourth side is an etching. It's a 48 minute album, so this results in an average 16 minute sides instead of 12 minute sides.

Another example I can think of is My Chemical Romance's "The Black Parade", which is also a 2LP Set with an etching on the fourth side. It's a 52 minute album, so the average is bumped to about 17 minutes a side rather than 13. Makes for a much more fluid listen.

20. fitzrik

fitzrik Forum Resident

I would prefer more music per side up to about 22/23 minutes per 33rpm side.

I am currently avoiding 45rpm reissues as much as possible!

21. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

With regards whether an album should rightfully be on single or double vinyl, I have a rule;

If an album hits or exceeds the 60-minute mark, it should be a double... if it's less than 60 minutes, single will suffice.

It's not how long an album is, it's the mastering, the lacquer cut, and quality of the vinyl that matters, ultimately...

Stone Turntable likes this.
  22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I've always played lots of 7" and 12" 45s and EPs along with LPs, so dealing with a side ending after one or two or three songs has never seemed like a problem to me. Thinking that I'd like to hear a certain record but then saying, Nah, it's a 2 x LP or 45 RPM album and I'll have to change sides, is foreign to my idea of a groovy listening session.

In fact sitting immobile in the sweet spot like a lizard on a rock through an entire 75-minute CD has always been way more challenging to me than having to flip the vinyl several times per hour of play. Fidget spinners unite!

kannibal and lightbulb like this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

There is a 33rpm version which I own. Sounds glorious. Recommended.

24. Strat-Mangler

Pretty much the secondary question. I initially wanted to post a thread asking for whether most people would be OK with re-sequencing the tracklist of an album to cram it into fewer sides but I couldn't think of any examples of where that was done.

I do remember Phil Collins' "But Seriously..." having a radically different sequencing on LP than it does on CD but I've never checked into whether that was done on purpose to cram songs on as fewer sides as possible.

25. Jwest97

Jwest97 Bass Player for Luxury Furniture Store

Personally, I'm fine with flipping/swapping the album. I've got a few albums that could easily put onto one LP, and a couple that run at 45 rpm. I'd rather not to try to squeeze too music into an overly confined space. I'm satisfied with whatever reduces inner groove distortion!

Donal and Strat-Mangler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.