What´s your phono preamp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Airbus, Nov 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

That's what I'm thinking. Either that or he's using 6DJ8 Bugle Boys.

SirMarc likes this.
  2. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

This is why I rarely post. I think SirMarc is right in hindsight. I'll see if I can find the receipt from Upscale since their website no longer has my orders since it has been a couple of years.. I'm too lazy to open it to check.

Regardless, the stock Chinook is nice. Updating the tubes can change the character and not every change appeals to every person. To me that is part of the joy of tubes (when you can tube roll). Other than my speakers, the Chinook with upgraded tubes is the thing I've had in my system the longest (and I'll make sure that profile is up to date next :p ). I'm very happy with it.

I'm pretty happy with my whole system and other than additional isolation/room treatment I don't see a lot of upgrades in my future.

stuwee and SirMarc like this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

No harm done, man. Don't shy from posting because of such an innocuous miscommunication. Upscale Audio sells the Amperex 7308 and the Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8. I could be wrong or maybe his inventory changed but I don't recall him stocking anything else in Amperex.

I don't blame you for not wanting to open up the Chinook. I posted my experience/review of it recently and one thing I mentioned is it's a pain to open up for tube-swapping. The unit I tested had Amperex Bugle Boy tubes in it.

If you're happy with your system, that's the ultimate. I'm not there yet but hope to join you soon. Still need to upgrade my amp and speakers before that happens, though. Maybe in 1-2 years, I'll get there.

4. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

It's as good as a Pre-Amp needs to be. I think most options above are snake oil. Yes they might sound "better" to some ears, while worse to others. I can always adjust EQ to my will without searching for a specific pre-amp that fits my taste.
    I'm mostly buying vinyl for needledrops (tracks not released on CD or only with bad compression) so I adjust the sound during editing anyway.

Now that doesn't mean it is perfect. I don't like that it is permanently turned on once plugged in. I modified mine to have a simple "lightswitch" for turning it on and off.
    The only other thing I sorta wich it had was a toggle switch to turn RIAA on/off. I'd prefer to use software RIAA simply for accuracy reasons. Also one wouldn't need to counter-eq the RIAA for shellac records and so on.
    But that's a minor thing I can easily tolerate.

5. Strat-Mangler

With respect, your understanding of what a phono stage does isn't correct. It isn't merely limited to EQ choices but rather deals with imaging, soundstage, instrument separation, and how laidback or forward the presentation is... none of which can be changed with EQ afterward.

I'd have to assume you have not experienced pitting it in a revealing system with a great phono stage because the difference is night & day. I mean *massive*! The upgrade resulted in a difference which had all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. I *wish* it wasn't so I could have returned my latest one and spend the money elsewhere!

There's tons of snake oil in "audiophilia" but phono stages' capabilities is as far removed from that as can be.

6. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

linn uphorik

Airbus likes this.
  7. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I stand corrected. According to my receipts I have four Amperex 7308s. I probably used the Chinook with the stock tubes for about 3 months before upgrading the tubes and replaced the gain tubes first then the output tubes. It is a pain to take something out of the rack so most of us only do it when when have to.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Those tubes are especially musical. I have a 6DJ8 Amperex Orange Globe so it's pretty much the same thing and it sounds excellent. And yes, I would've appreciated a better design for tube-swapping. I agree 100%!

9. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

What does YMMV stand for, I've been seeing this in a lot of posts.

10. Strat-Mangler

Bookmark this page for future acronyms and other Internet speak.

Urban Dictionary: ymmv

bluemooze and hfarrior3 like this.
  11. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I'm using a Herron Audio VTPH-2. I'm done buying phono stages. This thing is musical, has a very silent operation with my .5mv LOMC cart, can be tube-rolled but I don't see the point, and is, by far, the best phono stage I've owned - and I've had many. Only thing I'll do from here out is get it upgraded by Keith when he introduces significant revisions. Otherwise, just play the tunes you raucous bastard.

12. uberlyle

uberlyle Forum Resident

I have a Sutherland P3HD that I really enjoy. Sometimes I fantasize about an upgrade, but I think I need to work on my speakers first.

13. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident Thread Starter

My new toy, Clearaudio Balanced plus & Accu Power supply.

[​IMG]

14. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

The downfall of human society, when we have to speak/post in this way....sad :o, are your fingers broken or, missing?? Dang folks, post, say what the f you meant, wanted to say instead of using text speak, engage!

Micke Lindahl, H8SLKC and hfarrior3 like this.
  15. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Ah yes, would be nice to return to the days of polite, informed speech, articulated perfectly and accented by... emojis.

16. Strat-Mangler

It's shorthand. People use it all the time. "ASAP" for instance. No need to write it all out.

If you think using acronyms is the downfall of society, your threshold is the absolute lowest I've ever seen.

17. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Amusingly, "arsed" and "faff" are both defined in Urban Dictionary. ("Double Y" is not !)

18. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Parks Audio Budgie Tube

19. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

As of last night, Parks Audio Budgie paired with a CineMag 3440AH based SUT.

bluemooze and Strat-Mangler like this.
  20. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Vincent PHO 8

21. Memphisflash

Memphisflash Forum Resident

I like it, sound is great and I don't have any of the problems described by other users ... One reason I went for this model was that I could stack it out of sight, behind a blu-ray player

22. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

I have a Herron VTPH-2 but I only found it musical with MC carts when I bypassed the MC JFET stage and used a SUT into the MM inputs. Now it sounds fantastic.

Seafinch likes this.
  23. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Rogue Triton

mreeter and mike catucci like this.
  24. HankM

HankM Senior Member

Currently purchased a Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE II and love what I'm hearing. Soundstage has increased along with blacker background

Strat-Mangler and mike catucci like this.
  25. Garthb

Garthb Forum Resident

Just received my Budgie today, I'm very, very, very happy. To quote Larry David: "Pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.