Poll: Own it? Rate it. YES Progeny Highlights

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MaltairX, Jun 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

This makes no sense. They didn't play it at any of the shows that are on this set.

It's like saying this is an inferior set because "Sakura Sakura" (which they played on this tour at the Japanese dates) isn't on it.

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  2. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

ok...i took another look...

it seems they were trying to recreate a fall 1972 concert...

thats why they didnt add those other songs because they werent played on that tour.

ok i get that now... but doesnt change the fact that yessongs gives you more bang for your buck....it has all these songs and more....thats what i mean.

3. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Yes - the Progeny box set is 7 shows from Oct/Nov 1972, each with the exact same setlist.

The Progeny Highlights 2 disc sampler is extracted from that, and includes songs from those 7 shows, assembled with the same tracklisting as each of the 7 shows.

No other tracks are possible for this set.

4. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I love it even if the recording quality reflects the era. Gave the set a 4.

5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It's wonderful. I prefer it to Yesshows. Sounds better on vinyl.

latheofheaven and Bananas&blow like this.
  6. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

A friend sent me the Greensboro and Atlanta shows...and I LOVE the peformance of what I've heard so far, that is, only the second disc of the Greensboro show. In part of it Jon Anderson says how they're recording the show. I'd thought at first it was a soundboard, like maybe even a cassette sndb. The sound IS murky to me..not what should sound like a master tape from a multitrack mix. It's still pretty good sounding but NOT great to me. Just after, I listened to a Buddy Rich live cd from 1966 where the recording quality blows away the Yes set I'd just listened to.

I dunno...I'd be disappointed if all the shows have this murky sound and I'd invested in the entire collection.

showtaper likes this.
  7. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Totally understandable and valid. But just to offer another perspective- sometimes, quality of performance soundly trumps sound quality as a priority. To what degree that holds true and to which performances it holds more sway are both very subjective.

Speaking for myself and I would imagine a great many of the purchasers of Progeny- I'm thrilled to have a document of this special time in the band's history that sounds as good as it does. I can wish for a better source, but that is a small consideration next to my gratitude that this source exists and was worked on so caringly.

8. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I agree with this. From the reviews, this was supposed to be a revelatory sound upgrade. Yessongs on vinyl is still the best listen of Yes and that isn't saying all that much either. I tried to go back again but the sound quality I do not like at all. I was very disappointed in this set and I just have the highlights.

The two grand prog albums of their time, Yessongs and ELP's Welcome Back suffered from awful recordings. It seems nothing will every change that unfortunately.

9. john beacham

john beacham Forum Resident

I gave it 4.5. The vinyl package is very nice with a gatefold design very similar to Yessongs. It's a very nice pressing as well. It doesn't quite to live up to Yessongs , but it might contain the definitive version of Your Move/ All Good People.

10. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

These threads are often the same. Fans clamber for more and more to be released... whether it is perfect or not. Had only the highlights been released... or had the tapes been cured of imperfections... people would have cried foul at the missed opportunity. But when it is all released... others cry cash-grab. o_O

Nobody makes you buy anything. I say put as much as is financially viable out there... and let people and the markets choose. The highlights is a great distillation of the tour. Which is exactly what it is supposed to be.

11. OnTheRoad

Discussion, and even dissention, about sound/performance quality is one of the main things this forum is about. Not only in mastering quality as so much is discussed, but the actual recording quality as well. If someone thinks less of that importance, so be it.

Yes was one of my top 5 bands back during this time but I'll still have critical thought about it. My only intial beef about the collection was that there were no Bill Bruford shows. Then after it came out, my concern was lack of setlist variation and room for improvisation. After hearing some of it I'm truly surprised that these, all or just some ?, of the shows were multitrack and what I've heard sounds dullish. Yeah...I have higher desire and expectation....at least for it to sound as good as the various multitracks of King Crimson that have been released from the '73-'74 band that sound spectacular. No reason these Yes tapes shouldn't sound similar in clarity without the murkiness.

Now...I need to listen more and see if the Atlanta show has improved sound.

12. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Didn't see the "Own it" opinion on the Poll. I don't own it.

13. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

I have heard the Duke discs so far, in my car, and was simply blown away. I do have one question, though. Every time I hear a live version of "I've Seen All Good People" without the organ climax at the end, I have to wonder why they omitted it? The end of the studio version of that song is one of Yes' greatest moments; I'm disappointed they didn't often play it that way live.

14. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

There is no earthly reason a Yes concert from 1972 should be recorded as well as a Crimson show from a year or two later, let alone a Buddy Rich gig. Too many variables, unless the same crew recorded both bands with the same equipment at the same venues.

Judging from what I've heard about the mixing/mastering for Progeny, it's really cool that it sounds as good as it does.

By the way, Bill Bruford quit Yes, so he's not on Progeny. It's pretty cut-and-dried. It would be nice for some complete Yes gigs to come out with Bill on the drums, but I don't know if Yes has the raw material to make that happen.

Yes did something classic rock bands almost never do. They released a series of shows as they actually happened. No overdubs, and very little editing. So of course all some people can do is complain. Everybody says they want live albums "warts and all," but when it actually happens, some peopleneed to rip 'em to shreds. "It's a cash grab, they sound bad, my favorite song wasn't included (because it wasn't even played), yada yada yada."

15. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I have the vinyl highlights and it is a 5 for me. Better sound quality than a WLP vinyl of Yessongs I have. Music is fantastic.

16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

17. OnTheRoad

Well....

I guess this debunks my opinions. :sigh:

Not.

18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Agreed. There's no need for more post-Anderson (and especially post-Squire. Yikes.) live stuff, but this was a fantastic archival release. I've only listened to the highlights version, but I'm very happy that they got it released. I'm definitely hoping for more, particularly something similar from the Union tour and any or all of the YesWest tours, although not holding my breath there.

Joseph Sipocz likes this.
  19. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

It actually totally debunks it, since nothing you said is defendable in any way. Buddy Rich? What?

Yes in 1972 vs.Crimson in '73 or 4. Are you talking about The Night Watch, by any chance?

And ---> "No reason these Yes tapes shouldn't sound similar in clarity without the murkiness." You're assuming the tapes Progeny was cut from are as good at the source as the Crimson recordings you're referring to. Why would that be? Again, what does one have to do with the other?

ARK likes this.
  20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Purely in terms of sound quality, I think that the Progeny set sounds pretty comparable to what King Crimson has released from '73-'74 (and keep in mind that KC didn't exactly set new standards in audio fidelity with their first live release in 1972, Earthbound, and they didn't really master the quality of their live recordings until the end of '73 with their shows in Glasgow, Zurich and Amsterdam). Whether or not you consider the performances themselves to be as compelling is an entirely different question.

Gratefully Deadicated and ARK like this.
  21. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

I would VERY much like to know this too. There are no initials or ID's in the deadwax except a rather long catalog number...

22. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

4.5 --love the live, warts and all recordings of YES. Ambitious and a treat for fans.

Gratefully Deadicated and Rick58 like this.
  23. Beefalo

Beefalo Living the high life. Bungalow ranch style....

24. drift

drift Forum Resident

Something tells me that all 8 people who voted 1 haven't heard it and just voted to vote. None of them have chimed in.

25. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog...

Heh, I had forgotten all about this thread :)

Well, since I guess I never really stated an opinion about the 3-LP set, FWIW I fully agree with Ben above. I think the vinyl sounds absolutely LOVELY and just considering the sound quality, it definitely blows Yessongs outta the water [​IMG]

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.