U2 - The Joshua Tree 30th Anniversary - Box Sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by everyday_ffm, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Yeah, so did the Rose Bowl thing. But it was definitely a trend they had from the late 90's up through the mid-2000's. Just based on that, and the timing of the end of the current tour, it's where i'd put my money on a Joshua Tree release coming out.

2. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Just descovered it is also on youtube.

3. Chrisedge

Chrisedge Forum Resident

I was the one that transferred the SVHS tape to DVD, that all the bootlegs are sourced from. :)

I was not the one however to pay to get the tape liberated. All my DVD boots had that same warning at the beginning. (Fight Club themed)

NunoBento, slop101 and carrolls like this.
  4. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Thanks for doing that. Its probably my most watched DVD apart from the French DVD included in the 20th anniversary JT box.

5. Chrisedge

Chrisedge Forum Resident

Well, the guy that tracked it down, and fronted the money (he found 3-4 people to help defer the cost) was the real guy to thank...I was just technically capable at that time of dealing with SVHS, and DVD creation. (along with the title overlay)

6. Johnny Feathers

Johnny Feathers Forum Resident

The Sun City version is missing in the new one? Huh. I actually kind of hate that version--Bono needs to rein it in, a LOT--but I thought it was included.

At any rate, I only bought the digital release of the 30th anniversary set for the new material. Kept my 20th anniversary set intact in my iTunes, and created a "Joshua Tree 2017" album comprised of the new remixes and the 4 live tracks from last year. I still wish they would have just released a full concert recording for the fan club--the vinyl looks pretty, but it really only comes down to 4 tracks to listen to.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

8. Johnny Feathers

Nope--Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World was omitted, possibly because the girl he brought up onstage to drink champagne was underage. That's not been confirmed to be the reason, but it was cut from the release.

9. walrus

I've heard this rationale for years, and I just can't buy it. Would it really be that big of a deal? (esp. since a) there's no way to know the age of the girl from just watching (she's young, obviously, but could totally be 18, the legal age in Australia), and even then, it was champagne, more sprayed than consumed, it's not like Bono was offering her a bottle of scotch. :laugh: A more likely possibility (IMO) is that she (or her family) didn't sign the requisite release forms. Another option is that when viewed on video (as opposed to being in the venue) they felt the performance didn't work. I can't see why, but U2 has so often made inherently puzzling decisions about cutting songs from live concert films so it's just par for the course i guess.

10. Johnny Feathers

Yeah, I've never been sure about that rationale. The thing about her not signing a release might have merit--though I wonder if anyone else would have had to sign something about being recorded/broadcast. You can certainly make out a few fans next to the b-stage ramp. And I've seen bands cut songs from live releases just for time, which I've always scratched my head over--you're selling the material to fans who are interested, why cut out material unless it's really that bad? At any rate, I had the original PPV broadcast recorded on VHS when they first aired it, complete and unedited.

11. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

JeffMo likes this.
  12. walrus

By entering the venue, you consent to being filmed and appearing in any release/broadcast of the gig (Often times legalize to this effect is posted at the gates for those gigs, but I think it's basically a part of the deal when you buy Ticketmaster tickets). But being featured on-stage is different; a friend got pulled up onstage at the U2 gigs in Chicago that were filmed in '05 and had to sign a special release (and the song still got cut from the final release, although I think you see her briefly in the bonus content).

It's just a bummer, since "Tryin'" was never performed again after the tour ended. If they'd cut "Pride" or something, it wouldn't really be that big of a deal. I'm happy they included another performance in the DVD release, at least it seems they were aware of how lame it was to cut that song out.

13. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

Today the album has it's 31st anniversary!
    Still a great and timeless album. Really different to their first albums but still not strange sounding.
    Pure talent!
    I'd wish U2 would still make such a great music. As if people will care about SOE in 20 years...

walrus, JeffMo, azjvm05 and 1 other person like this.
  14. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

What's extra weird is they videotaped both Sydney 1993 shows. Adam was famously missing night 1, but they could still use the b-stage footage with editing tricks. Another rumour was the band needed the show to fit on a 120 minute VHS tape to save money and TTTYAATW would put them over.

It's still missing form the DVD, despite having some songs edited with fresh camera angles. The song is also missing form the official fan club release of Sydney 93.

TTTYAATW was rehearsed acoustically before the opening in Vancouver 2015. Along with acoustic Fly and acoustic Horizon. I heard them myself.

walrus and azjvm05 like this.
  15. azjvm05

azjvm05 Forum Resident

I did not know that Tryin to Throw Your Arms Around the World was rehearsed before the 2015 tour. That would have been nice to hear that. I read that revamped version of The Playboy Mansion was rehearsed, too. Did you hear it?

16. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I heard PM. There's some limited audio circulation of the acoustic rehearsal set with "Arms".

azjvm05 likes this.
  17. azjvm05

azjvm05 Forum Resident

Appreciate the tip.

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Purchased on release day, cassette format, and blown away by opening salvo of songs.

I've bought this album several times and in several formats since.....

:wave:

19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Listening to the digital version of 30th JT while drinking morning coffee.

jimhb, Panama Jack and c-eling like this.
  20. Smurr1958

Smurr1958 Well-Known Member

Recently picked up the 20th anniversary deluxe box set for $20.00 used in like new condition. This new set has no video content at all and I’m happy with the 2007 set. All that $ money for a couple remixes and book/ pictures is just not worth it to me. I think the Paris show is fine on that set-
    And agree... why no “ Silver and Gold” brought forward??? Love that tune!
    No thanks-

21. Smurr1958

Ok I’m gonna eat my previous words now... after a few more reviews, and getting a great price on a new copy of the 30th anniversary edition,($55.00/ new/sealed/shipped/ discogs), I went ahead and bought it. Gotta admit it’s a gorgeous set! The book of photos by the Edge is beautiful but what I really like is the remix disc of tunes but wish it was longer as just love the alternate versions of all of the songs on that disc!
    MSG concert is also excellent!
    Glad I got it-

22. Smurr1958

BTW won’t be using “ digital download card”- have the cd on my iPhone already. I would gladly pass it on if that’s cool to do on this site? Just PM, do we do that here?, or email me and first one I get can have it!
    Peace-

23. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I bought the box set recently in a sale-a new copy-the download link no longer works.

24. Smurr1958

Ok thanks-

25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I have found if you send proof of purchase to label they will sometimes send you a new one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.