(3) Turntables, which one would you pick and why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Nov 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I like this design much better than the current VPI. It looks like a spider straddling your desk.

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

HOT!

3. Jonathanpp

Jonathanpp New Member

Dear Friend - Kazu

I have a quintet black mounted on my Prime..the sound is fine all over the spectrum, but now I would want to try the Nagaoka MP500.
    Ps: you can send me a private message if you wish. Thank you..

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2018
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Final decision isn't even on the list- a Technics SL1200 GR is on its way after being convinced that it is exceptionally close in sound quality to the G model.

Wngnt90, russk, punkmusick and 8 others like this.
  5. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Can't wait to hear your thoughts. Congrats Tony!

avanti1960 and JackG like this.
  6. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Which cartridge are you going to start with?

JackG likes this.
  7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

May I ask, please, where you bought it from? :)

8. avanti1960

Ortofon Cadenza Blue.

9. avanti1960

I'll politely refrain until our business is complete. If all goes well (as I expect it will) I will endorse with enthusiasm.

bluemooze likes this.
  10. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Brilliant choice, IMO! I think it’s a stellar cartridge that will not be held back at all by the terrific SL1200G tonearm. Your setup will be a pure music maker.

11. davidmag

davidmag Forum Resident

12. davidmag

davidmag Forum Resident

The “DJ” table is The Absolute Sound Turntable of the year, LOL

russk likes this.
  13. avanti1960

Thanks Agitater but I am not getting the G, I have decided to get the GR.
    A very highly respected sharp dealer / vinyl audiophile where I am getting the table from said that truly each table has exceeded expectations and are ridiculously good- and that the GR is 90% of the G. I trust him completely.
    After reading some direct comparisons with the same cartridge (see the other Technics thread) I am suspecting that the GR is more demanding of a proper cartridge compliance / tonearm system mass resonant frequency than the G.

punkmusick likes this.
  14. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Yes - the GR - my typo - and you were clear about the GR in your earlier post. I fully agree with your dealer’s assessment of the GR/G, and I agree with your assessment of the GR’s tonearm. It’s a very good tonearm - as good or better than any others in the price class for the turntable. In terms of sound, operation and cartridge versatility, I couldn’t find any fault with the GR tonearm at all. I think it competes head-to-head with the Pro-ject 9CC Carbon Evolution (an arm that I think is a genuine home run for Pro-ject), the Acoustic Signature TA-1000 (the excellent arm usually supplied on the Wow XXL), the excellent Rega RB303/330, and the Clearaudio Satisfy Kardan. I certainly can’t hear the slightest difference in performance between the GR’s arm and any of the others which I think is high praise.

Anyway, the deck and arm are terrific. The usability and feel of the GR is also delightful. Like the G, the utterly noiseless instant startup and the accurate feel of the arm when you position it and the controls when you start and stop and so on, are as good as any of the direct competition on the market. The turntable is a pleasure to use.

I think Technics put a huge amount of effort into the redevelopment work for the GR/G, and most of the other turntable makers have put nearly as much effort into their respective offerings at the same price points. Rega’s P6 and RP8 are just as exciting as the GR and G. That said, the P6 and the RP8 simply don’t have the rock solid feel that serious direct drive designs almost invariably provide and that Technics has recently refined in the price range. Completely different engineering and design aproaches that both provide for wonderful music listening experiences, and yet in use the Technics and the Rega couldn’t feel more different.

I also think that the price range has for some time been the sweet spot for complete turntable/tonearm models for most good makers. Tremendous value for utterly silent motors, utterly silent main bearings, stiff, low resonance arms, with extremely low-friction bearings, plenty of adjustment, great plinths, excellent mounting plates, and so on.

When it arrives, you’ll be mounting the platter on the spindle. Hold the platter by the holes in the top when you mount it on the spindle - don’t hold it by the outer edges/rim. A friend of mine tried to mount the platter while holding the outer rim as he lowered it. Because the platter partially recesses into the plinth, it slipped from his grip and dropped the last half inch or so. He was worried that he damaged a bearing, but there was actually no harm done. The bearing is tougher than that, but the short drop alarmed him.

russk, punkmusick and avanti1960 like this.
  15. avanti1960

Thanks for the tip!

punkmusick likes this.
  16. avanti1960

picked it up from Glenn Poor's Audio in Champaign, Illinois. A complete first class buying experience and highly recommended. Geoff is one incredibly nice, knowledgeable audio gentlemen on par with the best in the business.

17. russk

russk Forum Resident

That was my take as well in fact I was thinking it would be better to go with the GR and put the money saved toward an SME arm so that I could eventually mount an SPU instead of shelling out the 3400 for a 1200G.

Look forward to hearing your take on the GR.

avanti1960 likes this.
  18. avanti1960

Thanks. Review on the way. Posted some early impressions at the tale end of the "Petition launched..." thread.

russk likes this.
  19. RalphNYC

RalphNYC Well-Known Member

I'm glad I read through the entire thread - I was going to post a suggestion on the GR, whixh I'm considering as well.

avanti1960 likes this.
  20. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I'm looking into buying my first ever turntable, and while the GR appears very pricey for a first time buyer, should I make that huge leap?! It might be a future option as I will need to add further components such as preamps, etc. For now, I think I'll start with the Audio Technica LP120 w/USB. I do intend on creating vinyl rips as well.

21. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

The LP120 USB is a good first time turntable albeit sounding quite different to a Technics. From the AT/Pioneer family of SL1200 'clones', this is probably the entry level, AT-LP1240 USB & Pioneer PLX1000 being next. You can't go wrong with any of these (& the PLX1000 is not too far from the sound of the SL-1200GR)

FVDnz likes this.
  22. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I'd chose the Technics out of those 3. Being DD it will hold speed really well, my only issue is I am not a fan of detachable head shells anymore. It seems there is always some play there, plus depending on mfg I think it can screw with azimuth.

Rega, can't get past the no azimuth adjustment on their tonearms, that's a deal killer for me.
    VPI, really nice TT would own one if I was in the market for a new TT. Problem is I think it does not hold speed well unless you spend another grand for the VPI speed controller.

Have fun.

patient_ot likes this.
  23. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Yes!
    Waste of time. If you can afford the GR - just go for it. Think: if you make the rips with the AT, which will certainly introduce some undesired artifacts, you'll have to re-rip again when you get the GR later. You don't wanna do that.

24. The Technics! It's very close to Plug & Play. No weight gauge for tracking force adjustments. If you need to rise/lower the arm, shims and special tools are not required. The speed in spot on, without the use of after market controllers. The technics is a mechanical wonder and the only negative thing I can say about the 1200g is the looks. It just does not look as cool as some of the belt drive TT. That said, I'm not into Audiophile Jewelry, function over form.

avanti1960 likes this.
  25. avanti1960

fortunately my headshell mount has no play, very tight and precise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.