Top Album Of All Time Poll: RESULTS!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by richierichie, Jan 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Just be glad the 70's happened, or we'd all be screwed! :cool:

2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Yep, looks like 99% of my record collection.

3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Er, I screwed a lot in the 70's... :winkgrin:

4. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Indeed, not to mention it’s one of the biggest-selling albums ever.

5. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Does that include listing “The Eagles” instead of “Eagles”? :D

6. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I have 59 from the list (though the Steely Dan and VU ones I only own by virtue of having a box set). Oddly, out of the remainder, there’s very little which I’d consider as being on my ‘to buy’ list.

But Avalon over For Your Pleasure? Come on. If you have to pick one from the ‘bland years’, at least go for Flesh+Blood.

7. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Yeah love the 70's but many here take Pink Floyd's 1980 album title literally;)

[​IMG]

8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Nah, I go up until about 1982 ;)

AFOS likes this.
  9. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Great work. Thank you for compiling it.

richierichie likes this.
  10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

There are.

But you're not the demographic, and neither am I.

11. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full. Thread Starter

No you`re right I`m not but I am a part of the demographic and I stand by what I say. I buy lots of music by new bands/singers/artists, some of that music is very good but where are the next Beatles/Stones/Jimi/Elvis/Who and many more I can name? Unfortunately very few IMHO have surfaced since the `80`s, REM, U2 and maybe some more you can count on one hand. It`s all a matter of taste, I hear what about Radiohead, Madonna, M. Jackson, two of them massive, the other yet to produce more than one classic album.

It`s been said before on this forum, there will be no more Beatles, Elvis, Dylan etc, that`s a fact. There will be many more great albums, there`s thousands of credible acts out there, on every continent but no more Johns, Pauls, Georges & Ringos. I look forward to another year of discovering new bands/artists from the past and from the to be, future. In fact there`s probably more great music out there than ever! The problem is getting heard.

So @Gaslight, I am right, you are wrong, you are right, I am wrong, everybody`s right, everybody`s wrong and so say all of us.

12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Well that's kind of the point - it's our opinion.

Talk to someone else, say your average teenager, and you'll likely get a different POV.

Uglyversal likes this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

A lot of new members,
    time for a new poll?????

14. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

The last poll was late 2017...don't think you'll see huge diffs here. There wasn't anything earth-shattering between 2008 and 2017 either...the forum continues to be very classic-rock leaning, including a the newer members that are drawn here.

Although I did notice the OP's states it takes 2-3 hours to cut his hair. That must be some amazing coif.
    Got my haircut yesterday and I was in and out in 10 minutes. Ain't much there to cut anymore!

15. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Of the top 20 listed here, only "Who's Next", "Revolver", "Zep IV", and "Let it Bleed" would make my personal top 20, but I do appreciate the time and effort in doing this, and it is nice to know what the forum consensus is - and how far I deviate from it.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. alexpop

I'm bald cept a Bill Haley baby curl.
    Guess I just like polls( curiosity factor):D

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

nice work mate.
    although probably a little bit of an old school balance. i think for the most part that's a pretty decent list of albums

18. alexpop

White Album retained its number 2 spot.

19. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I voted, and had three albums from after 2000 in my list. And a woman at #5.

But that being said, the years that the albums voted for come from, are mostly the years where the best music was recorded, in my opinion.

Mr. Explorer and alexpop like this.
  20. alexpop

Yeah ..not a lot of women in the 2008 poll( ten years ago ).

21. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Perhaps female artists are better represented by songs instead of albums? The female artists that I think of first album-wise are Lucinda Williams and Joni Mitchell.

22. alexpop

No Adam Ant?

23. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

You won’t see many great albums anymore because that isn’t the way music is presented or consumed any more. Those looking for the new Beatles or Hendrix are wasting their time. The next great musical act won’t be rock. That hasn’t been the music of choice for the past two generations.

24. JeffHunt

JeffHunt Stray Cat Strutting

There's a bunch of albums on this list that I've never heard of, never mind heard....

Honestly, kind of ridiculous that The Beatles occupy so many spots near the top - I like them, but they're probably not even on any top album list that I would ever make. Maybe it's because I was born in the wrong generation, but they don't account for much listening in my world.

I absolutely LOATHE Dylan, so him being at #11 made me honestly discount the remainder of the list.

Not knocking anyone's tastes of course, just saying how I view the results from my end.

25. alexpop

Good to get a refreshing take on music from a different generation. A lot of young people like old music though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.