My Rega Exact has about 1000 hours on it--is there any urgency to replace?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rischa, Feb 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

One thing that happens to me sometimes- crud and lint, dust etc will get kind wedged (stuck w static cling?) to the tiny nook that exists between the back of the stylus and the cantilever.
    When this happens it seems to just attract more crud, and I will hear the very begginings of stridency where I know there should be none. I've found that even using a zero dust in this sitch doesn't pull the stuff off, it just keeps compacting. I have to use stylus brush as well to dislodge it and then the zero dust will suck it off. I can even tell when I didn't get it all out because I can hear it again. I got a cheap 16x jewelers loop and you can see it in there with that.

1000 hrs seems like a very short life for a nice stylus imo.

rischa likes this.
  2. GilesM

GilesM Forum Resident

I use a spreadsheet, every time I play a record I start a timer on my phone. Then when the session is finished I update the spreadsheet with the albums played and the number of minutes and hours played. The spreadsheet is structured so that a running total is kept for reference. I recently replaced by Rega cartridge and am now up to 9:23:40, so I have a long way to go.

3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Seriously?

JohnCarter17, Porkpie and Mazzy like this.
  4. Hahaha I work it out with a pencil.

I think that was a punch line to a very old joke. . :tiphat:

eyeCalypso likes this.
  5. GilesM

GilesM Forum Resident

Yes, why not? It is just a few taps on the phone, easy. I can not see any issue with this.

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Well get on down!

Mazzy likes this.
  7. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

My mother used to hate it when I looked at best before dates to judge the state of produce. What matters is how the actual the food is, not the date on the package she said.

Just being coy ;^)

Bob_in_OKC likes this.
  8. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Replace it and you will realise...

9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I’d replace at around 1,000 hours. I think Gyger tips are different....Goldring say mine should be good up to 2,000 hours. I will probably replace at around 1,500.

rischa likes this.
  10. rischa

rischa Forum Resident Thread Starter

My thanks to everyone for the guidance offered in this thread. I went ahead and ordered a Rega Ania from Music Direct to replace my Exact (can't wait!).

I figure I'll get a microscope at some point to check out the stylus on the Exact--if it still looks good, then awesome, I have a back-up cart--if not, then I'll know I made the right call.

Eigenvector likes this.
  11. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

For me, records are a technical exercise. I pontificate on wear and analyze theoretical data and how it relates to the most efficient use of resources. While engaged in this I sometimes hear wisps of music in the background.

12. Raunchnroll

I get at least 1200 hours on my Exacts before I replace them. By that stage there may be a little perceptible detail loss, but its pretty small.

rischa likes this.
  13. Wow. That’s it ? I’ve gotten over three times that And I just now feel it’s maybe time to replace.

Mister Triscuits likes this.
  14. Raunchnroll

It doesn't 'need' to be replaced, I just like to maintain the best sound I can for the turntable. 1200 hours is about a years worth of listening - 100 hours a month. I'm at about half that lately. So every two years-ish I get a new one, replace it, and I can tell the difference.... by a little bit. The old Exact then goes on a secondary or third table I use for 45's and lower grade LPs.

Leonthepro, chacha and Mazzy like this.
  15. rischa

Mazzy, I think you probably played it right to wait, but I'm too chicken. Plus I can always use an excuse for a new toy!

Mister Triscuits likes this.
  16. Im not usually that conservative. I feel I got a good 3500 plus hours on mine. obviously your mileage may vary. :tiphat:

rischa likes this.
  17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Try Magic Eraser.

18. rischa

So what are you looking at for a replacement cart?

19. Leonthepro

This

20. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Does magic eraser work better than the zerodust ?

21. I’ll probably get another Exact. Love the sound and synergy.

Just keep my record collection spinning

sheffandy, Eigenvector and rischa like this.
  22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I haven't used zerodust but the mechanics are different. Magic Eraser is basically a very soft sandpaper.

I love the Exact too. I have 2 RP6 with Exact on both tables. My next step will probably be an Aria phono then Alpheta.

23. Leonthepro

If you compare prices as well as performance Id say magic erasor or blu tac is superior.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.