Dilemma - VPI Prime Scout v B Stock Prime Scout

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGuy, Jan 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

I know, sounds like a weird title. So, MD is selling the B stock 2016 Scout for $1749. VPI upgraded all the stuff on it to match up to the 2017 Prime Scount - 300 motor, delrin feet, etc. Only technical difference between the two models is the shape of the table - rectangular v. curvy. But, MD also has a 2017 Prime Scout Demo for $1799. Thoughts?

2. missan

missan Forum Resident

I would go with the one that has the best looks.

Kristofa and McGuy like this.
  3. McGuy

that was my thought as well, the curvy one... i don't think the demo is an issue with MD. need to see if i can get the 15% discount though. i did get it on the B stock, so maybe...but my guy is at CES next week. hope he checks emails!

4. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

I'm not so keen on the Prime shape, but sounds like it's a toss up for which one you like the most. I would probably go with this Scoutmaster on USAM below if I had around $1700 and wanted to go VPI, I generally prefer the acrylic platters, at least I like the one on my Clearaudio but I know the VPI guys have gone back and forth ...

[​IMG]

rebellovw likes this.
  5. McGuy

I like that one but want a new tt for some reason, or close to new.

Davey likes this.
  6. harby

harby Forum Resident

Both seem to be missing an important feature (besides tonearm wire shielding), causing unnecessary tedium for the new owner :nyah::

[​IMG]

After reviewing their return policy and restocking fees, you could try out the B-stock for its savings. They don't say what makes the particular or any items B-stock (or explain why there are so many B-Stock VPIs offered for sale at different places) - a ding in the paint, previously used/demo, motor doesn't meet tolerance... so it seems a gamble. That VPI upgraded it, it seems a euphemism for "refurbished". You don't see any "B Stock" deals on Technics...

7. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I agree with Davey - I don't care for the prime shape - the old Scout shape is a classic and is timeless - and it if has the black and aluminum tone arm like the one below- that would also turn me off - either all black 3D or all stainless or aluminum - not both for some reason it looks like a uturn tonearm.

I'm sure it is a great tonearm - I just don't like the way it looks in two tone - I don't understand why they keep changing things.

[​IMG]

Shoalcove, McGuy and Davey like this.
  8. McGuy

well, the "B Stock" isn't really a b stock. it's a brand new unit (NOT refurb) using the 2016 rectangular table but VPI added all the doodads that are on the current 2017 prime scout. so, in all reality, it's a VPI Scout but again, has exactly the same features as the prime scout. unopened box straight from VPI

VPI - Prime Scout 2016 Rectangular Plinth Turntable **B-STOCK**

harby likes this.
  9. McGuy

completely agree - i like having a speed control rather than moving the rubber thingy - why can't i think of the name for it right now? brain fart

10. Davey

From past reports, it seems the guys at VPI are usually pretty responsive to questions like this, so maybe describe your system and goals, and ask them which one is best for you.

11. Davey

With AC synchronous motors like this, it's usually better to move the belt and keep the motor running at 60 (0r 50) Hz. Changing the drive frequency can add a lot of expense, and can degrade performance.

trd likes this.
  12. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Of the two I like the 2016 version better - I like the square shape and I like the caps on each corner - nice contrast to the platter and arm. And I could live with the black and chrome armwand.

[​IMG]

That is just me - buy the one you want!

McGuy and H8SLKC like this.
  13. McGuy

Thanks!

14. McGuy

little update, so I'm getting a hum in my speakers. long story but my sales guy at Music Direct actually came out to my house today to try and figure it out! great guy. ended up trying various solutions, none worked. Then he actually called Matthew, the son of the owner of VPI on the phone to get advice! Matthew was great, tried to help us while at the same time feeding then changing his newborn. Now that is customer service! I'll have to bring it down to the store to get the issue fixed, might be a new junction box, but still, fantastic company to deal with

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.