Should "Empty Glass" have been a Who album, instead of a Townshend solo album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Robert, Dec 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I didn't vote. I love it, and All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes, and White City, as they are, but they would have all made great Who albums, too, and I also love Face Dances and It's Hard as they are.

Roger and John were also doing some fantastic work outside the band at that point (as were all three plus the band prior to the 80s, too, of course).

kouzie and dee like this.
  2. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

IMO Face Dances has more in common with Empty Glass than it does with Chinese Eyes. I see more of a connection between Chinese Eyes and It's Hard. I always think of "One Life's Enough" as a prime example- if it wasn't a Chinese Eyes leftover, it sure sounds like it!

Empty Glass would have been a good Who album, but it would have been a different beast altogether by the time Daltrey and Entwistle would have had their way with it. For sure there would have been a couple of Ox-penned tunes on there at the expense of a couple of Pete's ("And I Moved" probably being one of 'em).

3. I voted "No"!!!!!

I dig "Who Came First" & "Rough Mix" in the same way, & at the same level, as "Who's Next" & "Who By Numbers"
    I dig "Empty Glass", "All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes" & "White City: A Novel" MUCH MORE than I dig "Who Are You", "Face Dances" & "It's Hard"

If Pete does anything else again, I wish it would be a solo album, rather than another Who album

Bill Mac, Humbuster and Tristero like this.
  4. Danderpet

Danderpet Forum Resident

Empty Glass is special precisely because of the intimacy. The Who had a great tension between intimacy and bombast, but the kind of naked vulnerability in some of these songs is where the power lives- not a "who" kind of power.
    I have a few copies on vinyl and EG is always what I use to test my turntable. I Am An Animal is so delicate, spacious, and lovely.

... And naked- I think the Who would have put too many clothes on it.

uzn007, Vaughan and Michael Rose like this.
  5. epp56

epp56 Forum Resident

although some of the songs could of worked as Who songs, overall it’s better as a Pete Townshend solo album

6. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

No, I think it is perfect as it is.

Bill Mac, J_D__ and reb like this.
  7. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Nooooooo.....but, it sure sounds more like a Who album than Endless Wire ever would! :eek:

ohnothimagen and J_D__ like this.
  8. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Imho those very three songs and the album are nauseating to me

The Who were going through the motions and major subpar step down in material

Nice to see Pete venture off with his own fresh canvas

9. dee

dee Senior Member

There's a few songs in particular I imagine being possibly equally enticing Who material - Cats in the Cupboard, Jools and Jim, and Gonna Get Ya.

I like much of FD but have always felt fwiw it was only 2 better songs away from being a great album. Jools and Jim and Gonna Get Ya could have been those 2, imo.

10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

If Daltrey can sing this (really well indeed), he could sing almost anything from Empty Glass. Maybe not "And I Moved," but otherwise, he's never been deterred by songs that are highly personal to Pete.

uzn007 and dee like this.
  11. jabbo5150

jabbo5150 Forum Resident

Another Tricky Day is a good one too.

Spazaru likes this.
  12. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I reckon the following songs would’ve worked with The Who -
    Rough Boys
    Let My Love Open The Door (almost a precursor of You Better, You Bet)
    Jools and Jim
    Cat’s In The Cupboard
    A Little is Enough
    Empty Glass (yes, they tried it, but not with Kenney)
    Gonna Get Ya
    Some of the other songs also could have worked, I think, but likely sung by Pete.

ohnothimagen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.