Looking to upgrade my cheapo system with $800, need advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BrainlessProdigy, Feb 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrainlessProdigy

BrainlessProdigy Active Member Thread Starter

Hello everyone! First time poster, long time lurker here.

I've been running a very budget setup for the past few years but feel it's about time to upgrade and would appreciate some advice.

Turntable: Pioneer PL-117D
    Cartridge: Shure M91ED
    Preamp: TCC TC-750
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-497
    Speakers: Micca MB42's AND Sony SS-MF500H's

I definitely feel my speakers are the weakest link in the setup, the Micca's really don't sound very good. The Sony speakers sound much better than the Micca's but are on top of my dresser in the corner of my room as I don't have much space for them. Bookshelf speakers might be best for my situation.

Also unsure about the rest of my setup. I quite like my turntable but find the fully automatic function less useful now as I usually just manually queue records. Or perhaps a cartridge setup would benefit me more? I've even been considering upgrading the speaker and RCA cables.

I mostly listen to 70's rock, punk, and jazz.

Will gladly provide any more info if needed.

2. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

I'd get some new speakers. You can have a lot of fun and learn a lot too by buying used. Good quality used speakers are available for pennies on the dollar. Garage sales, flea markets, Craig's List (if in your area) are all good places to start. On line is more costly as shipping speakers can get expensive. Have some fun with it!!

Manimal and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

What does your upgrade budget look like? Are you open to buying "new to you" (used) gear? FYI - I run the same cartridge as you on my second system turntable and am quite happy with the sound. When is the last time you replaced the stylus? Perhaps that would be a cheaper option than replacing the entire cartridge?

4. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Unless a vinyl setup is total cr@p, speakers make far more difference to the sound. But why do you have 2 pairs? You're not running surround with vinyl...I don't get it.
    You can get quite nice speakers for $800 but need to specify more about size. You already have towers, so I'd recommend upgrading to a better set of towers. If you don't want to get into a subwoofer (which is a good $500+ by itself) then stick with twin 6" woofers for significantly easier bass than twin 5".

These are somewhat above your budget (but bear in mind good speakers last a LONG LONG time, it's better to wait and save some if needed.
    Monitor Audio Silver 6 2.5- way Floor-Standing Speaker-Audio Advisor

These are very nice, great designer, a bit power hungry, but great bass + within your budget
    ELAC Debut F6 Floorstanding Speaker-Audio Advisor

On a killer sale, from a company with very good engineering
    Polk Audio RTi A7 (Cherry) or for a bit more $$
    Polk Audio RTi A9 (Cherry)

This fine old English company makes some lovely speakers
    Wharfedale Diamond 230 (Rosewood Quilted)

And finally, as Monty Python said "and now for something completely different":
    Klipsch Reference R-28F
    Significant sale ends today, but also some open box/blemish models at a really good price. Twin 8" woofers, hey, you probably will never want a sub. The horn mid/tweeter means they play louder per watt-much more so than say the ELACs. Some people feel they sound great, some feel they are kinda bright. I've never heard them myself but really want to.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  5. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I would perform a few upgrades. Used Nad 326bee ($300) & Wharfedale Denton speakers ($399). With the $100 left over, buy a used FM tuner if you indeed use FM. There is a silver face Onkyo T-4040 with analog dial on ebay for $69. This is a great tuner with LA-3401 decoder.

Jack Flannery and Doc Diego like this.
  6. BrainlessProdigy

Thanks for the responses fellas, was worried my thread was gonna get lost. To answer your questions, yes I am open to buying used equipment but not much of interest shows up in my area.

Only real reason as to why I have two pairs is because I got the Sony's for about $15. As much as I'd love to have some tower speakers, think I'm gonna have to just go with bookshelf speakers as most of my listening is done at my desk where the Micca's are located. As previously mentioned, the Sony's are in the corner of my room, with my desk and the Sony's being on complete opposite sides of the room.

Also working with a smaller room which is 12.5 x 12.5. I was actually looking at the Denton's earlier and they look very nice but unfortunately are rear ported and if I get a new pair they will most likely be about 4' from the wall. Or is that not a big deal? I've been considering maybe a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 220's.

Last time I upgraded the stylus was about 8 months ago.

7. BrainlessProdigy

Think it'd be better to upgrade the receiver over the turntable? Assumed that would be one of the last components to worry about upgrading. The NAD does look quite nice though and I really wouldn't mind ditching the receiver for an amp, don't care for FM at all.

8. timind

timind phorum rezident

$800 will buy you some very good used speakers. That's my recommendation.

somnar, Tim S, Manimal and 4 others like this.
  9. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

I second the Polk RTi A7's. Good bang for the buck.

10. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

BTW- The upgrade will be like going to light speed in Star Wars from where you are at now. You need a better amp plus better speakers (both).

2point1 likes this.
  11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Speakers are the best improvement for any stereo.

somnar and Ghostworld like this.
  12. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

Speakers of course. Since your room is small I would look for a smaller book shelf. What you don't want to do is over load your room. The Elac's B-6 would work well. Then when you move to a larger space if you want more bass just add a pair of subs. Maybe also look at a better phonostage. After speakers might try some room treatments.

13. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Spend it all on speakers.

gd0, Tim S and Ghostworld like this.
  14. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

DIY speakers, used speakers, can get you great bang for buck.

If not comfortable with either of those options then new it is, but you'll get a lot less going that route, but still can surpass what you have today.

I'd then plan to upgrade your receiver next if it were me.

Good luck

15. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

I agree with the rest....... Speakers. Look on Ebay that is where I found mine.

16. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

If your room size is an issue, get good bookshelf size speakers and a little Sub. Either way, get good speakers!!!!!

gd0 and Manimal like this.
  17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Get a demo/used pair of KEF LS50s. Check out Audiogon.

Amazing speakers. They can also stay with you over the long term as you make further upgrades in the chain. I run mine without a sub, but adding one if you feel it is needed will give full range bliss.

Helom and andybeau like this.
  18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

$800 will get you INCREDIBLE used speakers.

Bingo Bongo, Manimal and timind like this.
  19. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I have a 320bee with Dentons in my home office. I concur with this.

20. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Yes, they need a new amplifier as much as new speakers.

21. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

After 2 weeks of reading and asking questions these are what I decided on. Should be here any day. I'll post my initial impressions shortly.

22. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

BTW- Onkyo T-4040 FM tuner showed up on ebay for a crazy low $15 BIN.

23. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Grado Prestige 2 Black cartridge- $75
    MoFi Studiophono Phono Preamp- $250
    Best $500ish speakers you can find (and try to ascertain if they would work well in a desk situation)

24. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

And, all of the above being amplified by a Yamaha RX-497..........?????

25. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I admit to knowing nothing about that 'n. Bad?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.