Phil Collins: Not Dead Yet- Live! 2017 European dates

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LivingForever, Oct 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Hyde sold out the week of the show. Dublin was also a late sell out. I think every ticket has genuinely sold so far on this tour.

2. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

And No Jacket Required won the Grammy for Album Of The Year.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Which may have added to the backlash, as it's not like the Grammys are viewed as Arbiters of Hipness! :)

bob60 likes this.
  4. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Due to overwhelming demand, there will be a second concert in São Paulo, Brazil on February 25. Tickets will be available this Friday.

5. 5th-beatle

Just one more week until Phil's first tour stop in Brazil!

[​IMG]

Runicen and mark ab like this.
  6. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

while I am excited for south America I am frustrated at the lack of north America (mexico aside). was too young for earlier tours so would love a chance to see him in person.

DiabloG, Benno123 and Christopher B like this.
  7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Rolling Stone was negative on But Seriously, but it wasn't a hatchet job-- the writer just didn't like the heavier direction ("Worst of all, there's none of the simple, uncomplicated joy that has marked Collins's previous efforts. "). Testify, not even one of his better albums, got a favorable review.

8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Any US rumours at all?

9. 5th-beatle

Perhaps he's waiting until the Latin American tour is over in order to announce US & Canada dates?

10. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Strange criticism, since his divorce was the inspiration for much of the first two albums. Uncomplicated joy? I don't think so.

Sammy Waslow and Nightswimmer like this.
  11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Good point, it's like they only heard "Sussudio."

Sammy Waslow likes this.
  12. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

fingers crossed seems we are getting late in the game for a summer tour announcement though.

13. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

I went to one of the Royal Albert Hall shows last year because I wasn't sure if he'd do any US shows. Now that I've done that, I'm certain he will add some USA shows!

14. 5th-beatle

Phil's concert in Rio is a success. The stadium is full and people are enjoying it very much.I'm not there, but I'm reading about it online.

[​IMG]

The Pretenders were also well-received and did an excellent set, according to reports.

[​IMG]

15. 5th-beatle

16. 5th-beatle

17. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

Was he sitting on these dates like during the UK shows

Solace likes this.
  18. 5th-beatle

Yes, he gets up only to go onstage and offstage.

19. 5th-beatle

Just got back from the show. The stadium was full, I've been told there were 45,000 people there. It was quite a thrill to see everyone singing along, and Phil was visibly happy about it and in a great mood, making jokes like "10 people know that album".

He still sounds great singing live and the setlist is excellent. I wish he would do "One More Night" and "You'll Be In My Heart", but you can't always get what you want.

I also enjoyed The Pretenders' set a lot, a very energetic performance. Chrissie Hynde's voice is quite powerful!

All in all, it was a very enjoyable evening and I'm glad I got to see both bands.

edenofflowers and bob60 like this.
  20. 5th-beatle

This picture shows the font half of the stadium last night. The other half was just as full:

Gilson Campos on Instagram: “Nada é mais gratificante do que a oportunidade de realizar o sonho de uma pessoa querida! Uma das memórias mais vívidas que tenho de minha…”

I have to add that I was impressed by Phil's son on the drums. Just 16 years old and already doing a great job.

The fireworks at the end of the show were great, and the thank-you message in Portuguese on the main screen was a nice touch.

FACE OF BOE likes this.
  21. 5th-beatle

22. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

By 1989, between No Jacket Required and Invisible Touch (and everything else Phil did in the mid-80's; soundtracks, guest appearances, etc), I imagine Face Value seemed like a distant memory at that point.

23. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I saw him last night, well me and 60.000 more people.

He sounds great, the band sounds VERY good and I only realize when he introduces the band that his 16 year old son is playing drums, very cool.

Runicen and raimiz1991inc like this.
  24. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

Yep! Came from Bolivia for a few days to Santiago for the Phil Collins concert with my mom and girlfriend, it exceeded my expecations. I can't believe how well everything sounded and the setlist was brilliant. I noticed he took out a few ballads for more upbeat songs and Throwing it All Away comparing the Latin American setlist with the European one. Although I missed him playing One More Night, the setlist was excellent and the stage and lighting was very sophisticated. I enjoyed it 100%, last concert I attended was Roger Waters in Hartford on October last year and I think I was more moved with this one. The stadium was incredibly full and exploding, no spare seat for my bagpack.

The Pretenders was also excellent, even though I'm not too familiar with the band the sound was incredible and I had no idea they rocked so hard. I felt a little bad for them because the stadium was half empty when they played and Chrissie said something along the lines that the front of the stadium was quite empty but that was cool, because they weren't a rich people band anyways and they were grateful we came at all. By the way, how cool was the crowd wave before Phil came onstage?

Runicen and Bill Cormier like this.
  25. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Glad you enjoy your visit :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.