Unanswered Beatles questions ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George Blair, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Amps at that time normally didn't have master volumes or gain nobs, just "volume".

somnar likes this.
  2. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

If John Lennon never died in 1980 how do you think he would have aged?

3. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Year by year, just like the rest of us. :)

Rojo, fr in sc, baitzahn and 6 others like this.
  4. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I think he's just singing nonsense syllables, but in later performances, such as tribute concerts, it morphed into "truly, truly gone," which is obviously not the lyric on the original record.

Another dag nab "what if" question, but in this case someone computer-aged a bunch of dead celebrities and John was one of them:
    [​IMG]

5. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

:) I still can't listen to Twelve Bar Original, makes me cringe.

Rojo and fr in sc like this.
  6. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

If that, not even sure Paul makes it as a solo artist if the Beatles never existed.

The 70's were about hard rock bands like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc. and singer-songwriters like James Taylor, Van Morrison, Elton John, Bruce Springsteen, etc. and the start of alt rock like David Bowie, Pink Floyd, The Clash. Paul's particular brand of sugar-pop doesn't stack up, Ringo and George never get record deals, and John doesn't have the voice or stage presence to be more than an art student turned book author.

It's a good thing the Beatles existed.

Rickchick likes this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Unanswered question.
    Recorded during the White Album sessions ..who choose Hey Jude to be the A-Side single ?

8. somnar

somnar Senior Member

A turtleneck and blazer in 2017? Getting the clothes right was the easy part!

9. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Did we ask yet if there's a genre of music that the Beatles didn't invent (including genres that emerged prior to the Beatles?--we can't forget about Dr. Maxwell's time machine).

10. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Considering the state of the stoned (John), distracted (George), pouting (Ringo), and deceased (Brian) members of the troupe, I'm guessing it was a unanimous decision.

fr in sc and notesfrom like this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Ha, John did three versions and he was still relegated to a b - side " count me out".

12. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Is that today? (right)...

Or Yesterday?

13. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

The Sean Connery look wouldn't have gone out of style, certainly not at John's age. Would he have worn the cap, though?

14. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Well, in an alternate timeline, had the Beatles not existed there's a good chance that rock music as we know it today would have taken a different course entirely. So who's to say that the groundwork for groups like Zeppelin, Sabbath and Skynyrd to exist in the first place would have even happened? Don't forget, until the Beatles, it was unthinkable for a British artist to make it in the States. Without them kicking down that particular door, would the Stones, the Animals, or any of the British bands that followed (including Zeppelin) have made it, or would their acceptance here in the US be delayed by a few years? There are too many variables that would be drastically different to imagine that the musical landscape of the 1970s would be identical had the Beatles not existed.

15. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

We'd be discussing who? is the better songwriter: Beulah Baez-Dylan, Bob Dylan, or Shawnee Baez-Dylan-Guthrie.

Apple computers might not exist, and the internet might only be a Government, Defense and Banking tool.

theMess likes this.
  16. daveidmarx

Also...

fr in sc and notesfrom like this.
  17. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

He'd have got older.

daveidmarx and BeatlesBop like this.
  18. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

I don't think John would have short hair...or wear such dapper type clothes. I envision him looking more like Willie Nelson

19. daveidmarx

So you don't think they would've Benjamin Button-ed his ass?

pablo fanques and edenofflowers like this.
  20. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I can explain that in 45 seconds...

21. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

I was under the impression that Bernard Purdie was asked to overdub drums on that session since Pete's playing was so underwhelming. By my calculations, if you hear a kick drum on those songs then you're hearing Purdie since the producer forcibly removed Pete's kick because he couldn't keep time.

I don't think the "criteria" for Pete to join them in the hall of fame has been met whatsoever.

Dudley Morris and Telemark like this.
  22. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

It is a good thing for sure :)

But Paul has a way of writing melodies that are timeless and transcend culture, language and trends, yesterday is the most covered song in history and would of been a hit in the 70's IMHO

Paulwalrus, maywitch and JDeanB like this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

How much was the temperature when the certain man was on that flaming pie?

Rubber65 and BeatlesBop like this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it all boiled down if he got his drug habit under control...it took a toll sadly on his appearance even before the tragedy.

25. Which isn't really too off from John's father. Add his mother's features, and I bet that pic is fairly close.