What speakers that received rave reviews have just left you COLD upon listening ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Feb 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Now please don’t jump down my throat. A friend who spends a lot of time with musicians all over North America and myself went to a trusted dealer to audition speakers that have received rave reviews here and elsewhere. The shop had a wide selection of really good electronics such as amplification and sources and knew how to set up equipment to properly exhibit the attributes of what was being auditioned.

The speakers in question were the KEF LS 50’s and I really expected and wanted to like them. We listened to a diverse range of material through various sources. After a while looked at each other with furled eyebrows then thanked our host and left for the drive home very underwhelmed.

I bought my friend along because of his qualifications and highly valued opinion that I waited for him to express before I said much. Surprisingly we were in total agreement. The experience left us both “cold”.

The experience really left me feeling down at that point and I know many here just love these speakers and I guess my experience helps to validate the old adage: “To each their own”.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. chodad

chodad Hodad

I agree with the KEF's and would add Bowers & Wilkens. Like you say though ... to each their own.

3. Helom

Helom Forum member

This is just another example of how we all hear differently. There's no speaker that appeals to everyone.

4. everton

everton Forum Resident

Can you share with us what you do not like about the speakers? I have them, and I found them to be slightly too warm and too midrange-emphasized.

5. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

In a couple of different stores many years ago I heard Paradigm speakers and was not impressed.

6. Khorn

I guess the thing we found initially hard to get passed was a very compressed presentation. I guess it brought to mind a picture of vices on each speaker like headphones. A very opposite impression to that I got many years back upon first hearing the BBC Rogers LS3/5A.

7. Helom

Helom Forum member

They're definitely the opposite of Klipsch in that regard, but they work well for vocals and intimate ensembles. What amp was driving them?

8. Khorn

The exception for me;

KEF 104 great soundings really “fleshed out” the music.

The ORIGINAL B&W 801’s. Very realistic “life like” impression if your amp had the guts. A friend bought a new pair after finagling me out of my McIntosh amps.

9. Khorn

I was really concentrating on the speakers and switching the source material. As far as what was driving them we were confident that in this instance the dealer was savvy enough that he would present the product in its “best light” so to speak.

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I don't care for the sound of the LS-50's. The imaging is great - spectacular - but something about the response curve sounds pinched and unpleasant. I wonder if it can be EQ'd around easily...

I actually prefer the sound of B&W's little bookshelf speakers, the CM's (although they have a tinny, ringing tweeter) and especially their new 700 series bookshelf speakers (which rectify their high-end issues and tinny tweeters). But they don't have the incredible imaging of the LS-50's.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

The LS50 didn't leave me cold, and were stunning in many ways. After living with them a while, though, I found I wasn't relaxing while listening. Not sure what to attribute that to, but it's my basic gauge. They did sound awesome, though. Maybe it's my room, which certainly isn't an audio shrine for sure. So I put back my Q300s and the search continues .

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. Khorn

Over the years I’ve had the same experience with different components some of them from well respected manufacturers. I attribute it to what’s known as “listener fatigue”. It’s an insidious beast.

SandAndGlass and Strat-Mangler like this.
  13. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Yes, and the other big part is the room. Listening to a great speaker in a sucky room is unfair to the speaker. Too many variables.

Helom likes this.
  14. DPM

DPM Senior Member

The first wave of B&W Nautilus speakers didn't do much for me. At first blush they did catch the ear, but extended listening showed them to be a bit brash. On the other hand, I did like the sound of their lower priced line of the time.

The KEF LS50 monitors don't do much for me, but their Blade speakers have merit.

There was a pair of Estelon floor standers I auditioned that I REALLY wanted to like, but alas, it was not to be. Their physical beauty did not extend to their sound.

15. timind

timind phorum rezident

Rather than bash the LS50s for the next few pages, I'll chime in with my dislike of the Tekton Lores. I bought a pair (used) after reading all the hype and tried my best to like them. Couldn't see what all the fuss was about at all. They had a decent tonal balance, but for me that was it. I sold them off pretty quick to a guy who also sold them within a month or so.

There are frequent threads started here about Tekton speakers. And I feel bad dissing the brand when so many others seem to love them. Different strokes.

Now back to the LS50s. I have a pair in my closet now and am getting the itch to put them back on the stands. My only complaint is they can be a bit harsh at times. Might just be they are showing me a bad recording. Overall though, I hear what all the hype is with them. I recently ran them with a 2 watt SET amp and was really pleased with that combo.

SandAndGlass and dmckean like this.
  16. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Didn’t Frigidaire™️ make a speaker that left listeners cold? :D

17. Khorn

I suppose if we go by the responses so far it demonstrates why audio design and manufacturing is so diverse. We all search for those components that will “knock our socks off “.

Most of us can only travel reasonable distances to audition speakers and other audio components so we are somewhat reliant on reading pro reviews and groups like this one. We can narrow down to what we think jibes with our own parameters but if we are about to make a sizeable investment (for each of us) home auditioning in our own systems and space over a reasonable time is almost imperative. If we find that perfect fit we could be living with our choices for a long time.

Diamond Dog likes this.
  18. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

Bryston Model T. The pair I got to check out were early on when the hype was geting rolling. They were bass-heavy to the point where they just sounded wrong and the tweeters were probably not top-shelf stuff as the high end was kinda unpleasant. QC was sketchy for the price point - the cabinets were poorly assembled with gaps in the joins and the vinyl faux- veneer was sloppily cut/ applied around drivers and on edges. And up close and personal, I really didn't like the looks. I've seen them dolled up with the optional wood veneer since then and they still don't do a thing for me.

D.D.

timind likes this.
  19. Khorn

My intention wasn’t that it would be just about the LS50’s. It was just a recent personal experience used as an example.

SandAndGlass and Strat-Mangler like this.
  20. timind

timind phorum rezident

I pretty much only buy used gear now so listening first isn't really an option. This doesn't hinder me at all. Now I'm not talking real high end stuff. For example, since this thread is about speakers, my "reference" speakers currently are Revel Performa M22s. My goal is to find a speaker that betters them at a reasonable price. If something catches my eye as a contender, I'll make an offer. I'll listen to the new speaker for a while and decide whether they worth keeping or not. If not, I'll list them and hopefully not lose too much.

Over the years I have owned more speakers than I can remember. It's surprising how bad (to my ear) some of them were. And I'm talking about speakers that were very well reviewed.

21. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I feel ya!

2 years ago A buddy had the Reference 3 in on demo. I was pumped on my way to his house. Had Pass amps. Wasn't making me feel warm and fuzzy that's for sure. Later that year another friend had the LS-50. Didn't move me....I was like what is all the fuss about..bass didn't sound natural....He had Bel Canto amps. Earlier last year another friend had the Wirless LS-50 and the Reference 5 Ultimate at an audio party. Just didn't do it for me and a few other guys who where also there. He had Levinson amps. He also had a set Monitor Audio PL Platinum 200 ll. It totally killed the KEF Reference Ultimate

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

A few years ago when I was taking graphic design classes at my local tech college, my drawing instructor and I bonded over our common audiophile interests. He mentioned that his speakers had gone kaputz a few years prior, and as I was more in-the-know regarding current equipment, he asked for my recommendation on a new set of bookshelf speakers. His system was high powered McIntosh gear, and being a low-power/high-efficiency guy, I could only recommend speakers I had read about. The LS-50's were all the rage at the time, so these were the speakers I said he should look in to. He bought them, and, well, the next semester I checked-in with him, and he basically said he hated them. Never talked to me again. Too bad as I really valued him as a mentor.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  23. Khorn

timind your approach looks like it’s both informative and fun. Sooner or later you just might score a pair that you’ll never want to part with. Good luck in your search.

timind likes this.
  24. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

The friend who had the LS-50's also was a Goldenear dealer. So we listened to the Goldenear Aon 3's asand they where better all around but the bass wasn't as over powering and sounded more natural.

rischa likes this.
  25. timind

timind phorum rezident

Right now it's the Revels. I saw a single M22 on ebay and bought it for spare parts.:help:

Manimal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.