Tube preamps with phono stage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by VinylSoul, Feb 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinylSoul

VinylSoul Forum Resident Thread Starter

My audible illusions modulus 3 phono stage inverts phase so i have to attach speaker wires to opposite terminals to have correct phase. Also believe my counterpoint sa3.1 also inverted phase at phono. Is this a common trait of tube phono sections?Except all the other sources will be out of phase like tape or CD?

2. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Many tube preamps invert phase not specifically tube phono stages. The Rogue preamps invert phase, as does the Modwright LS100 (not sure about their others). The Rogue Ares phono does not invert phase, though.

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The proper way to introduce a phase inverting phono stage into your system is to reverse the phono leads at the cartridge.

Iirc, the design principal behind phase inverting components is that they inherently have a shorter signal path. Again, based upon my recollection, i havent studied this topic in many years.

4. Guildx500

Guildx500 Forum Resident

The Modulus 3 is a preamp that inverts phase regardless of whether you are using a line input or the built in phono section. Quicksilver line stage is another phase inverting pre that I know of. These you do correct for in the speaker connections.

5. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Tubes have nothing to do with this. Any preamp which consists of a single gain-block using a single tube or a transistor will invert the signal. Many classic tube preamps did not do this because they used two cascaded gain blocks per gain stage, which caused the inversions to cancel-out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.