THE DOORS Unreleased 1967/68/69 Studio Session Reels in the vaults

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Buda, Sep 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

More than anything (studio outtake wise), I want to hear the two versions of 'The End' they edited together to make the album master. How could anyone with even a mild interest in the Doors not want to hear those?

avp2029, andrewskyDE, Buda and 6 others like this.
  2. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

No doubt they don’t but that doesn’t make it the right call. They need not be concerned about releasing outtakes, if their motications are artistic. Their legacy is safe with the original studio albums and now the single mixes have been released officially, as well as the original quad mixes for the ‘73 best of.

It’s not going to harm their legacy to release outtakes and alternate mixes. It would be mind-blowing to hear the versions of The End from which the master comes. I would adore the LA Woman sessions box. Only people interested in the outtakes will buy them and they won’t be going into it expecting perfection. We all know that the master takes were selected because the band and/or Rothchild and/or Botnick chose them. The masters are never going away.

It’s like that entire disc of Like A Rolling Stone from the Dylan/Cutting Edge set. The master is undoubtedly the best take but all the others are interesting to hear. Dylan’s pants aren’t down because we get to hear the other versions.

That said, what the band and estates want to do with the outtakes is their business. I just think it’s a crying shame if their policy is not to release this stuff.

avp2029, Chris M, andrewskyDE and 3 others like this.
  3. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

That's the only one I really care about. Major disappointment to not see it on the 50th.

avp2029, Buda and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

We don't know what they recorded because the Doors have chosen to keep most session information secret for reasons unknown to fans. There's 6-8 songs where we don't know when they were written or recorded, since they recycled older songs and older recordings throughout the 6 albums. The early LAW Rothchild sessions could be interesting. There's got to be some mix/arrangement variations for Strange Days.

5. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I listened to those as well. The only release that was worth buying of those 40th was "morrison hotel". The Roadhouse outtakes are fantastic!, every other offering on those was boring IMO. I would like more of the L.A. Woman sessions though.

Chris M likes this.
  6. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I forgot about this thread, but has any of these outtakes been used for anniversary releases?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Buda

Buda Forum Resident Thread Starter

Unfortunately none of them.

avp2029, Matthew Tate and masswriter like this.
  8. masswriter

how lame .... missed opportunities aplenty with these people.

9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Maybe some of those outtakes will come out after the rest of the original albums get an expanded CD edition (like the first two albums recently).

10. Buda

Buda Forum Resident Thread Starter

It would be about time. There are some more than worthy attempts there deserved to be released.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  11. If you've been following The Doors closely over the past 20 years (or more), you'll know that this simply isn't going to happen any day soon.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Will never happen.

avp2029, JEM512, Kat Records and 4 others like this.
  13. Hillel abramov

Hillel abramov Forum resident

I'm sure they will come out one day when all the members will go up to a better place and their kids will need some money. The question is where will we be. :(

Fullbug likes this.
  14. masswriter

I know this was discussed before, but not even the alt. "When The Music's Over" with Jim on harmonica? was it that abysmal?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident

CD copies were dubbed from each of the reels so if The Doors don't put these out someone else may just do it instead...

avp2029, Fullbug and asdf35 like this.
  16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Exactly. I don't follow much news about the Doors. Sorry then.

17. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Remember guys, Doors releases are approved by ALL the remaining Doors. So if they don't release something and you feel like that's a waste of history - you're not a real fan.

In related news, can I interest you in skateboards, hoodies or motorcycle noises? Doorz Storez: All Products

avp2029, Fullbug, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  18. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

9/10 people who own Doors merc have never heard them.

19. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

is sad to say, but hardcores are not their target, they are going after the new generations (the ones who only buy T-shirts)

avp2029, Fullbug and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

Every Doors fan I have known in the past 30 plus years has purchased Doors t-shirts. The problem I find with with The Doors.com is the t-shirts are expensive.

Fullbug likes this.
  21. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

Sure, i do have a few T-shirts, i bought when they came in bundle with physical releases

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I have been a Doors fan for over 35 years and have never owned a Doors t-shirt.

avp2029, Buda, Efus and 3 others like this.
  23. masswriter

Is there any chance of The Soft Parade Naked?

24. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

Do we know for certain that the session tapes for these still exist? With relatively weak offerings in recent years in terms of studio outakes I came to my own conclusion some time ago that they must have been lost. I’d love to be proved wrong obviously....

25. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

Same here.

Darrin L. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.