How Do I Know If My Stereo Receiver Is Supplying My Bookshelf Speakers With Enough "Juice"

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AcidPunk15, Feb 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I "bought" monster wire from best buy it didn't say the gauge I can send you a pic of it tomorrow I think its 16 gauge

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Don't buy Monster cables. It's a complete rip-off. Just a tip.

Saint Johnny and AcidPunk15 like this.
  3. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

As you are in Austin, I'd suggest you keep an eye on the Clearance/Consignment listings at Audio Systems once you are ready to buy. They often have some good deals there.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  4. AcidPunk15

I had bought in air quotes I know, I heard blue jeans speaker wire is good

5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Let's not go off track on this thread. Your Monster wire is ok for now. Monster stuff is generally ok, just way overpriced. Speaker wire types (not brands) is a different discussion and can make a tiny difference with high end equipment with critical ears, and not something you need to worry about now.

Adam9 and R. Totale like this.
  6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

This is true, however I have seen it deeply discounted in recent years.

@Kevin Rachman - you may have already corrected this since you posted that first picture of your speaker connection, but if you notice how some of the wire strands are sticking out from the input connection? Try to avoid having even 1 strand sticking out. If it comes in contact with another strand, it MAY blow out your amp. Most modern receivers have circuitry that can turn themselves off before this happens. I am not sure if your's can, but just a word to the wise.

AcidPunk15 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  7. AcidPunk15

Im listening to The Beatles Something New and its sounds amazing. The Bass is great sounds like its correct!!! Thanks Again Guys!!!

8. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

I'm confused. In this thread, the OP and posters have concluded that the speakers were out of phase. Above is the original post. Should correcting an out of phase issue really fixed the problem? Shouldn't they have sounded wrong all of the time, instead of just sometimes, on certain records, at high volumes?

9. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I think he was comparing the sound to his friends Bluetooth speakers

10. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

No, he was talking about his system. So my question is still whether correcting the phase issue should have fixed the problem stated in the original post.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  11. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

Kevin, what did you mean by checking the alignment of your turntable? What kind of cartridge (needle) are you using? Is it new, or did it come with the used turntable? Have you ever cleaned the stylus (needle)? If so, how? Do you know how to set the tracking force correctly? What method did you use to set the overhang?

I had these exact same questions for my nephew, who is new to turntables also. His responses were: What? Huh? New. What? Huh? What? What?. So don't feel bad if you have similar answers. Folks are here to help.

12. AcidPunk15

I've been listening to my system for a month I set it up before I left for winter break. My speakers were out of phase I fixed that. I have a Sony LX 350 I cant change my tonearm height so my tonearm hangs very low to the actual vinyl like literally a cm or two. I finally figured out how to balance my tonearm. My turntable is cheap I have read on here that the tonearm cannot handle the weight of the cartridge so it will sag. I assume your gonna tell me to buy a cartridge that weights less.

I used a print out of an alignment tool from vinyl engine, but I doubt its perfect. I clean the stylus with a magic eraser. I don't use any fluid. I have a Shure V15 Type III the stylus isn't original it came with a used SL-3350 that I bought for $40. I think I doubled or tripled my money by the selling the parts individually. I still have the cartridge from the TT buy.

I meant my tonearm wasn't balanced my bad I sometimes write these in the wee hours of the night (morning)

13. Strat-Mangler

The higher volume would exacerbate the inherent issues, I'd think.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  14. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

I still think something is really not quite right. The V15 III isn't a heavy cartridge. Are you sure you set up your tracking force correctly? Recommended tracking force is 0.75-1.50g. I seriously doubt if that arm will be able to work with the low end of the range. If you change the position of the cartridge in the head shell (overhang), you'd have to start all over again.

I just went through all of this stuff with my nephew. There's no way your table is going to sound as good as a thrift store cd player. I'd still recommend getting one to help you get kinda close. Lots of hype about vinyl...

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  15. AcidPunk15

Like I have said on this forum many times I don't know if I have seen it, but I when I get a job I'm going to upgrade my system. I will also buy that 160+ cd player that everyone says is like the ELAC B6's of speakers.

16. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Just looked at your profile. Pick up a spool of Monoprice 14 guage ofc copper speaker wire. Its cheap and good enough wire for now, and will sound a good amount better than what you're using now. The sound will fill out a bit and you'll get better bass

Edit: 23 bucks on Amazon for 50'

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    AcidPunk15 likes this.
  17. AcidPunk15

Thx yah I have heard their great is Blue Jeans Speaker Wire comparable.

18. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

Setting up the turntable you own correctly is free. The video I attached shows you how to do it. Your V15 III shouldn't be too heavy for your turntable.

Your cables are fine.

Your late night posts are killing you.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  19. AcidPunk15

When I balanced tonearm the overhang is very low. Should I compensate by having the tonearm balanced slightly upward

20. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Bluejeans wire and cable is better, but don't worry about that right now. Get the turntable sorted out first, then get thicker gauge speaker wire. I'd do 14 gauge like I told you about earlier, you're starving those speakers with 18 gauge wire. Watch the video the poster above sent, or even better, ask around. Maybe a relative or friends relative has experience and can help you. You never know

21. jtw

jtw Forum Resident

OK. I'll bite.... When I talk about setting overhang, I'm talking about setting the position of your V15 III in the head shell using that alignment tool. Read the instructions carefully, be patient, and get it right. NOW, balance your arm using the video. Check other Youtube videos if this one isn't perfectly clear. Set your tracking force and antiskate.

What tracking force are you trying to use?

One really, really has to consider what the power of suggestion is doing, when folks can buy a cheap used turntable, plop on a cartridge of unknown condition, set up the overhang and tracking force wrong, and play questionable vinyl with the speakers wired out of phase, and it still sounds better than digital.

Sounds exactly like my nephew.

Dale A B and Strat-Mangler like this.
  22. AcidPunk15

When I balance a tonearm my overhang should be correct or are you talking about the thing when you test where the stylus goes on that tool.

23. Strat-Mangler

I think you'd be doing yourself a huge favor if you'd take the time to research the terms, what they mean, and how they apply. Calibrating this stuff half-blind isn't conducive to ending with a great result, IMHO.

We all start somewhere but not having even a basic understanding is *really* hurting you.

We're all in your corner but I think you need to do a bit of solid homework on this subject. There's tons of info everywhere including YouTube tutorials and lessons.

Dale A B and SirMarc like this.
  24. AcidPunk15

there is no place that has these terms listed and explained that would be a good thread idea.

25. Strat-Mangler

There are tons of them. Do a few Google searches. They're everywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.