Beatles "White Album" and John Lennon 'Imagine' - Expanded Reissues Due In 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Dec 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Which Apple does all the time. Let it Be, Shea on DVD or Blu Ray? No. My money's on it NOT happening.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  2. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

I think Giles mentioned that they have started many projects that don't work out and go unheard. It's a weird way to operate. The mind boggles at what might have been worked on and then later given a no vote.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  3. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Maybe partly why we get socked with exorbitant prices for archive releases compared to other groups/artists -- they try to recoup all the other expenses they have wasted along the way on projects they let rot.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Sure, but that's sort of a strange way to run a business .'
    But then, I realize we are talking about Apple, so being nonsensical shouldn't come as a surprise . :D

5. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

That’s probably how all artist’s work out their projects though. I’m there are many projects that have fallen through or went through a lot of modifying before it got a release. That’s how projects in general work. That’s how TV and film pitches work. That’s how releasing new snacks or snack flavors work.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    Glenn Christense and OobuJoobu like this.
  6. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

It's a lot cheaper, and much more aurally rewarding being a Jethro Tull fan project by project right now, just as one example comparison. That's the kind of difference I mean.

Fred68 and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  7. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Sounds funny, but it's the way things go at Apple. They've remastered Shea and Let It Be at least once or twice (or more) each, and they've been on the shelf for 20+ years. The 1997 mono Pepper got fully remastered and packaging mocked up before it got nixed. As for a possible White Album box, it could be that research is taking place now, and Giles and/or EMI will present an idea for a box, maybe with a list of outtakes and alternates, or even audio of the raw tracks. Then, when the Board approves, they do the real work of remixing the album and compiling the bonus material.

8. Glenn Christense

Yes, I can see how that happens in many cases.

But where it might differ IMO is... I assume snacks, flavors, and TV and movie pitches are centered on "new" flavors or movies etc.
    Movies and TV products might not get the desired director or actor to commit to the project or an acceptable script can't be agreed upon, or some other variable prevents the project from moving forward.

The White Album isn't a "new" product and based on sales of the Sgt.Pepper box should provide them with a reasonable expectation of what sales they might expect from a White Album box set.

And, because they could cobble together a box set with the limited number of Sgt.Pepper songs , they have to know upfront that with a double album of songs to work with a White Album box set is going to be doable without any extensive exploratory trawling through the tape archive.

Veech and Sean Murdock like this.
  9. Glenn Christense

Yeah Sean, see my post # 729. :D

Sean Murdock likes this.
  10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

For the Pepper box we got an "expanded Stereo" mix as the only new and unique thing worth paying $130 for. The verbiage that only came out after I'd already pre-ordered what I thought was going to be a 5.1 mix.

So, I wonder how they're going to define the white album's "expanded Mono" mix.

And, I wonder why they think they can keep this crap up.

11. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

What I find fascinating is the buying demographic for each album whether they be hardcore fans, the general public, or somewhere in between.

I mean Sgt. Pepper's & "The White Album" are vastly different albums attracting vastly different tastes especially to those who have no intention of owning the entire canon.

Assuming there will be another boxed set, I'll be curious which album may sell more.

After all, "The White Album" was a different kind of huge event imo.

12. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

My interest in these projects wanes in inverse proportion to my age....

13. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

If Giles has been observed taking several trips to Abbey Road Studios over the past couple months, what else could he be doing other than compiling a box set?

14. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

For what it's worth (probably nothing): My guess concerning announcement / release dates:

*‎September 25, 2018 (Tuesday): release date and formats announced for the 50th Anniversary Edition of the WA, following a week of fueled speculation

*‎November 16, 2018 (Friday): release date

This is based on a comparison of the original Pepper and Pepper 50th dates, and of course there's nothing that says the WA 50th has to follow that model, or that it's even going to happen (it is).

What I'm trying to say, is I think we're in for a bit of a wait, and no one is going to have anything left to say once the official thread starts.*

*Kidding, this forum will never run out of Beatle words to say.

The Ole' Rocker likes this.
  15. Thanks for the info, Veech!

Veech likes this.
  16. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

It seems lots of other people found more that was "new and unique" to enjoy in the Pepper box than you did. Personally, I'd start with the three bonus discs of audio, which were worth the price of admission by themselves. And wondering "why they think they can keep this crap up" indicates that you have a problem with the whole enterprise -- but wouldn't the harshness of that question be better saved for some future time when they have wrung all the fun out of the concept, and not after one very successful set? IMO they will keep it up until it stops making creative and financial sense.

17. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Should be 50/50 but it will be Sean 100%. If Sean were to pass on before Julian then I'd assume Julian would take over?

18. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I think there was a preliminary approval and they are working on the track list for the bonus discs, packaging etc. Paul was fond and even a bit defensive of the White Album. Ringo is all in: "I'd like to do the White Album," Starr said recently, referring to the 1968 double album officially titled "The Beatles." "I think Giles should redo that. I don't know why not. And 'Abbey Road.' I love the White Album [because] we were back being a band, even though emotionally it was a bit weird between us for a while, and I left the band and came back, and George had all those flowers — you know that story." George was well represented and certainly Yoko would recognize that John's contributions were stellar, and with her appearance on at least three tracks I can't imagine (;)) she would have any problems with it.

I can understand why Let It Be wasn't approved. But a White Album deluxe edition? I think the planets are aligned.

Tommyboy, The Beave, AllenR and 3 others like this.
  19. StereoMan56

StereoMan56 Forum Resident

I have no desire to thread crap at all, but what benefit would a remix of the White Album offer? I'm genuinely curious; say you're the remix engineer...what exactly would you personally change?

GreenFuz and DeYoung like this.
  20. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I can personally think of one change that would make Bungalow Bill and Birthday more enjoyable. :D

Seriously, though, center the drums on everything, crank the bass louder than any reasonable person would and then slam it with a bunch of digital compression. I like to set attainable expectations and that way I'm not disappointed.

21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Sorry, I guess I'm not making myself clear. I've got plenty of Pepper outtakes on any number of "less-than-official" discs. Compressed, earbud-happy remixes? Not my cut of tea. 130-page book? Are you kidding? I've got that much browsing this board, without even digging into the "long and winding" threads...this weekend alone (okay, admittedly half of that is probably either, "Has it shipped? :confused: ", or, "It's shipped! :goodie: "). Needle-drop (and not the best one, either) of four seconds of a piccolo trumpet at the end of a promo 45? Yeah, that might be - oh, who am I kidding, a top-shelf-collectors-box packackged at a premium price and they can't find a better source? Just. No.

I think as much as you want to paint me as some ingrateful heathen (albeit with $130 less in his wallet), I think after all the '87s, box of single CD's, box of EP's, a 2009 box, aNOTHer 2009 box, a re-release of BBC sets with just one more song added, another BBC set, a re-spritzing of the Red and Blue sets, 1 re-done, AND AGAIN with video...after all this...? Call me a piker, but I kinda think I should have it all by now. Oh no, but wait - in the interim, apparently vinyl editions of these songs have not only been discovered, and crowed to the high heavens that we should all give up on them EVER living up to redbook's actual potential, and just go back to our Kenner Close-n-Play records because those were The Best after all, and anybody who thinks overwise is obviously an addled, deaf-mute NON-fan! :eek: And not deserving of "any" recognition in The Audiophiles Hall of Fame because he only wants his Beatles on cold, barren, toothless, retrograde, milktoast, stinky DIGITAL! :eek: :eek:

But, when we hear widdle bitty tastes of the potential in modern spiff-up-pery such as what's on the Songtrack, or the surround possibilities abounding in the Yellow Sub DVD, and the Anthology set, and Love...well, having heard examples of that next step, I'm kind of over them not being able to get it right with the compressed mixes on a (once again) $130 box dedicated to celebrating what's in those mixes. So, to my mind, since I'm sorta full-up, thank you, of just how many stereo versions of "Don't Pass Me By" I can get soaked on, and let's just get on with Fab Four In Five Point One, howabout...?

So, they said sure, they were gonna do that, hang on, and yeah, the technology will blow your freakin' mind, just hang on please, and we've consulted the ghost of George Martin via our Ouija board, and dug up John's body so we can get his actual hand to sign-off on it, for cryin' out loud will you pleas frakkin' hang on...and then, just in time for not just 50 years of claiming you must have been dissatisfied with the past 50 years of The Greatest Album Ever Waxed, that's why we're gonna charge you AGAIN to see how this baby REALLY! sounds, and we've got it in a 2-disc set, and we've got it in a 2-disc-and-an-LP set, and YES! We've pooted-forth a SURROUND SOUND, round-the-room spectacufragilisticexpialidocious mix so faaaab, only a BluRay disc can hold it, annnnd, well, THAT's gonna cost you $130 - but, don't worry, that may be the only thing you were ever willing to part with music-budget for January February and March for, but - hey, it's got a BOOK-! :goodie:

Okay, so I've poo-pooh'ed the CD remaster, said "meh" to the next shovelful of outtakes, not really interested in a DVD while there's this BlooRay thingie, and sure...lemme stack the book on top of my Sulpy's, my Lewisohn vols-one-through-five, my 908's, and whatever else in binder form re-hashes How The Beatles Came To Love Nehru...just give me that Surround Mix! All will be forgiven - look! I'm dragging out my bank card right now! - if you just give me the 5.1, which is the ONLY thing I'm waiting for right now, and in fact am so willing to get it, I'm actually willing to pay you $130 for the privalege of being the first kid in my neighborhood to give you $130 (thank god we live in a cul-de-sac)! Gimme! Bam! Ordered! Waiting! It's-it's...IT'S SHIPPED!

Suddenly, all the latest newstand fluff has changed the verbiage, from "first-ever 5.1 surround mix", to...wait for it..."enhanced Stereo"...:wtf:

And while I'm starting to sweat, the word starts seeping-into the pages of my favorite anal-retentive-audiophile forum...the new mix is...meh. No, make that...meh. Because, for some reason, the proud Magic Alex Brigade over at EMI has bet their lab-coats that we were all salivating to celebrate The Greatest Album Of All-Time, with JUST what the audiophile is clamoring for: a mix made for The Greatest Audiophile Innovation Of All Time...the ear bud.
    :bigeek:
    "You mean, it's been torqued?" "Yep". "Well, surely not the DVD version too, right?" "Yep" "You mean, they saved the good mix for the BluRay?" "Nnnope." "Oh, this is crazy - ONLY for the surround mix?!" "Uhhh, better sit down..."

So, have I perhaps made myself clear now? I know, I know, sagrelige to look askance at an Official Beatles Release. How dare somebody here say something not totally satisfying about The Sound Of The New Thingie...even though about 20-25 people did, before Joe Sixpack gave his thumbs-up from under his Ear-pod. And, let's just get the, "If you don't like it you didn't have to buy it" mantra over with, okie?

But, hey. It's a niiiiiice book!

22. StereoMan56

Lol, that's probably about what would happen.

23. Shaddam IV

Changes too numerous to mention, but for good non-hypothetical real-world examples of improved fidelity and/or stereo placement, I'd refer you to the following:

"Back In The USSR" and "Revolution": Love remixes
    "Yer Blues": Anthology DVD remix
    "Savoy Truffle" and "Long Long Long": Living In The Material World DVD

24. StereoMan56

Forgot about those Love remixes! Those were indeed excellent. But I think the main thing Love showed me is that Rubber Soul is the Beatles album in most dire need of a remix.

Shaddam IV and Frank like this.
  25. Shaddam IV

Hmmm. Because of "Drive My Car / The Word / What You're Doing"? Because that mix benefited from having additional tracks from multiple song sources. Perhaps not the best example!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.