Looking to upgrade my cheapo system with $800, need advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BrainlessProdigy, Feb 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Fine on the cartridge & preamp. $500 is great on the new speakers too. But, little 'goodness' will come thru without a good amplifier.

2. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

and look for ones designed by Andrew Jones, Dick Vandersteen or get used Maggies

Tim S likes this.
  3. BrainlessProdigy

BrainlessProdigy Active Member Thread Starter

I'm sure I can get some fantastic speakers using my entire budget but not sure if I wanna go down the route of spending thousands of dollars on my setup (at least not right now).

I take it that I should DEFINITELY upgrade speakers first, then receiver, perhaps preamp later. I'm reading a lot of good things about this NAD C326. Gonna keep researching and looking on the Bay.

4. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

This! Also speaker shopping is about as fun as it gets.

timind likes this.
  5. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I just meant I wasn't familiar with the 497. I assumed it was probably in the "adequate power, nothing to write home about" category , but I gather you're basically saying it's kind of a screetcher. (?)

6. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Spend it all on speakers.

7. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

My recommendations will blow you away. If NAD is looking like a purchase, get that Onkyo T-4040 tuner for $15 before it's gone. Have fun.

8. somnar

somnar Senior Member

9. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

BTW- If you live in a fringe FM area, get a Onkyo T-4500 tuner. One on ebay for $50

10. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

a used Harmon Kardon receiver and the speakers I mentioned above

11. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I guess I'd like to know more about this Yammy. I'm more like you in terms of budget allocation, but thinking a NAD, etc wouldn't be necessary right now, (and I own two NAD integrateds), as I'm under the impression that the 497 was 75 wpc, stable into 4 ohms and had (maybe) an approximate $400 msrp. That would seem generically adequate to drive $400-500 worth of bookshelf speaker, unless I'm way off on the nature of this thing. (Ohers are suggesting $800 on speakers, with presumably much higher price tags when new.)

Btw, one thing I did do a brain fart on was seeing the cartridge # and thinking it was the AT 91. That's an "oops".:sigh:

12. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

The Yamaha 497 is average sounding at best. $25 to $100 max item on ebay. A NAD 326bee would kill it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.