The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

:biglaugh:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Yes, the blog has been posted several times and some of the details have been used as a reference.

However, I'm puzzled as to why no one can find a single picture from April 6th (based upon the description of Pete's stage attire). Nor can any other supporting documentation be found in regards to Pete playing an Inca Silver Stratocaster.

3. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

CREAM played the Boston Back Bay Theater on that night and were asked to cut down their set so that at the end of the show their mostly white audience wouldn't meet the black audiences leaving the Boston Garden after James' show.
    They still did a 90 min. set w/a 15+ monster "Sunshine".

jay.dee and Efus like this.
  4. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Reb, theres a 4 paneled shot out there from a balcony perspective that's listed as being from April 6.
    It's fuzzy, hard to make out any detail of the guitar, but what Pete was described as wearing that night, white chukka boots, white pants, and a long sleeve, collarless top looks about right. The only thing that leads me to doubt it is the drum kit Moon is using.

Have u seen or know anything about those pics? Because I'm assuming surely you've seen it.

Redirect Notice

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Possibly fuzzy memories after 45 years.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

RKO Theatre NYC 1967 - Murray The Kay show

7. Imagine for a moment having the choice of seeing either The Who, James Brown or Cream on a particular evening - all in the prime of their careers - depending on where you happened to be at the time...

Such were the '60s.

8. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

and later, The Wall Door

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Quadrophenia: Fourth Wall

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I'm surprised that as Kit was overseeing the recording side of things,Chris wasn't in the theatre behind a film camera ......along with
    several other cameras rolling.

dee likes this.
  11. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

"My Generation" uses the Bo Diddley rhythm too, just more thoroughly disguised, so the two songs could be medleyed together, but until someone who has actually heard the tape confirms that's the case, there's no reason to assume that "My Generation" is anything other than "My Generation."

12. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

Thanks, listening again it may well be based on Traffic's Medicated Goo. The riff kind of fits, and I'm pretty sure now that the last line Townshend sings is indeed "Medicated Goo". The rest of the words are still obscure though, they don't seem to match any of the other lyrics from the Traffic song. I wonder if there was any particular reason for including this song at Pontiac, never heard anywhere else (?)

Sorry for the diversion from the main topic. Can't wait for April.

jlf likes this.
  13. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

That was asked in another thread and that is what I came up. I never thought about it before.

I am curious to hear this new release.

14. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

Can’t believe I missed that thread!

15. mw1917

mw1917 Forum Resident

This is an absolutely mindblowing performance, and is part of a DVD set called James Brown In The ‘60s. Included in the set is a fascinating documentary about the Boston show which contextualizes everything (including, but by no means limited to, Dr. King’s history with Boston). Brown’s show was broadcast live on Boston’s PBS (then called NET) station so that people would stay home and watch it on TV.

dee and Efus like this.
  16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I seem to recall seeing his name credited for the Stones (or the Who maybe?) DSD transfers for the SHM-SACDs. Maybe others too?

I’m not home to confirm.

17. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I'm sceptical on 30 minutes long version of My Generation recorded in 1968 due to the nature of the band back then, i.e. what could be special on that anyway, if we know that they didn't have yet the songs from Tommy on their set-list to make a medley with it, not to mention the songs from Who's Next; something tell me that hardly we gonna to hear e.g. I Can See For Miles on that medley (if it's medley, of course); Pete Townshend, as a rhythm guitarist, he certainly wasn't a guitarist like e.g. Mike Bloomfield that one can enjoy in his long solo, they didn't have a keyboard player also to play a long solo; Moon almost never did drum solos, and I doubt that JAE played the long solos on his bass in 1968. In other words, in 1968, The Who weren't a band like e.g. Electric Flag that to make me really exalted when I read that a 30-minute long & live version of a song is gonna be released.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    jay.dee and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Without wishing to labour the point that Tommy is not my personal favourite of The Who's works, the fact they didn't have anything from it to include in a medley makes that medley a more exciting prospect for me - it could literally go anywhere. Townshend already had at least an embryonic 'Sparks' from Rael to play with though, and 'Young Man Blues', and however many more r'n'r and blues covers to potentially squeeze in, quite apart from any previously unknown off-the-cuff improvisation.

19. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Yeah maybe an "embryonic Sparks" got out the thing..

20. dee

dee Senior Member

If it was planned out in such a manner - as managememt and band had intended to not only record the 4, then 2, performances, but potentially release them as their next album - it's possible there was as much thought (or more thought than one might otherwise think) as there was improvisation for this long and groovy April 6 MG performance.

The blurb about tape issues for the 5th are still a little peculiar in that it for all likelihood been established that a group of recordings from the 5th are on the Shakin' boot...

The Concert Guide online is wrong in listing a show at the FE, from the 4th? Where they list 2 songs played.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

My guess is that it sounds like (or possibly incorporates parts of) "Hall of the Mountain King" and "Signal 30."

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Thank God for James Brown. What riots could have ensued if we was not there to clam so my people. Losing Dr. King the day before had everyone on razor's edge.

23. ymizike

ymizike Forum Resident

Hendrix did a show in Newark that night too, then came over to the village to jam at a club after the Newark late show was cancelled.

Anyway, I can't wait to hear this, and to see what else might be found in the vaults from the "Sell Out" era, can't get enough of it!

tedhead and dee like this.
  24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

He’s a drywall wizard...

izgoblin and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. HappyFingers

HappyFingers Forum Resident

Well, My Generation sounds more like Big Boss Man by Jimmy Reed. Pete was a huge fan, and also a fan of The Pretty Things, and I think he must've been playing their version a lot.

Detroit Music Fan and Svetonio like this.