Beatles "White Album" and John Lennon 'Imagine' - Expanded Reissues Due In 2018*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jl151080, Dec 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And after you hear all 102 takes, you won't be happy either ... ;)

forthlin, moople72, Drifter and 10 others like this.
  2. Pure SH.TV or just Pure SH.T??? :p

supermd and Frank like this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Add some giant white colored (blank) poster into the White Album box set, just for a laugh.

4. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Only if they are hand numbered. :shh:

BeaTleBob5, Jack Lord and andrewskyDE like this.
  5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The first 5 copies will also be signed by Paul and Ringo.

6. BuCo

BuCo A guy who can't have enough Super Deluxe box sets

They (Apple) would more likely include a poster along the lines of this one:
    [​IMG]

7. BuCo

And speaking of this poster, I remember picking up an official shirt with the exact same line drawing/outline on it a couple of years ago that said "The Beatles on Apple":

[​IMG]

jlf, Lewisboogie and andrewskyDE like this.
  8. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

That should read 28 new mind bending songs ..................+ "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" & "Don't Pass Me By";)

Lewisboogie likes this.
  9. BuCo

Also speaking of this poster, I tried to recreate it with the tools that I had on my computer, but i couldn't get an HQ line drawing:
    [​IMG]

Yorick likes this.
  10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I tried some with the faces but I can't upload large pics however. The original size I did is actually much bigger than this.

[​IMG]

Billy Budapest and BuCo like this.
  11. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

By the way, a bit late to be asking but

Why is there a thread about an expanded Imagine album or box set. Is it based on something-anything from Yoko Ono or the label ( Universal ) inside info, What ?????...

There must be some tip or clue ?

Quite frankly with all Lennon's solo albums, there's a few between take -50's rock jams, a few ( few ) non LP singles & B sides, & just a few ( few ) not many ( few ) studio outakes. There's some alternate takes of the official releases, a couple oddball things like the God Save Oz ( Us )-Do The Oz 45, of course there are home demos of released & never otherwise recorded songs, from any particular period.

But overall really pretty slim pickings. & Frankly, except for some alternate takes, 90% has been released already either as bonus tracks, or one or two of Lennon's box sets. I think Lennon has 4 box sets spanning 69-80.

So why Imagine deluxe ? Who said or hinted this was happening ?

Besides the 10 official released songs on Imagine, off the top of my head, studio recordings of late 1970-fall 71

1 Power To the people
    2 God Save Oz
    3 Do The Oz
    4 Baby Please Don't Go
    5 Imagine 1-2 alternates
    6 Gimme Some Truth alter

I'm sure there's more alternate takes, a few home demos...but most other stuff falls under Plastic Ono Band 1970 or Sometime In NYC territory, based on recording dates, & or original intention
    Of course a new mix gives you 10 extra tracks right off the bat

Where does speculation come from that this is even happening ?

12. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

I respectfully disagree. Apple Records is not going to make half as much on streaming as they would with physical product for a 50th anniversary for the White Album.

As far as the price point, 90% of us Beatle freaks would pay near $200 for the Esher demos in pristine quality, plus a remix of the album, and any outtakes they see fit to give us (in spite of how underwhelming the Anthology takes were).

I want to believe they know this. Sign me up.

13. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

I'm gonna buy three of them!
    Beave

bherbert likes this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Baby Your A Rich Man.

The Beave likes this.
  15. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

What would be your reasoning for including the original stereo mix? I would be baffled if that happened.

Shaddam IV and Lewisboogie like this.
  16. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I read an interview with Giles Martin. He mentioned that remixing the White Album presents a dilemma. The dilemma being the fact that he can’t necessarily follow his usual formula for remixing. Which is to make a stereo mix from the mono blueprint. The stereo mix was as important as the mono mix, if not more so. That’s why I think they won’t overlook the original stereo mix this time.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  17. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

If any of this is true, esp. the White album, It should be done in physical form like the recent Pepper but sonically like the King crimson redos.
    I feel every Beatle album ( on anniversary date is not required) doesnt have to be done just the ones that would benefit-subjective, I know).
    Pepper, White, Abbey, Revolver, Hard Days, this is just me. The Get Back-Let it Be mess restored with the original Blue Album photo. Just fun, John M.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

He wrote 'flat transfer' on both the mono and stereo mix. A direct master tape transfer (which never was on CD) would be nice.

BeaTleBob5, Billy_Sunday and forthlin like this.
  19. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Weren't the 87 CDs direct transfer?

20. rickboy

rickboy Forum Resident

The '87 cds sound crappy in my humble opinion. My 2012 vinyl is good not great. I am hoping for a set up that will just rock out. Or will we just have to hope Giles can restore what was an awesome album that has had problems its whole life. There is great potential here. My 1970s Capitol vinyl sounds like its playing in the next room in miniature-and that's the better one.

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Hmm, I don't know. Is there some confirmation about that?
    I'm sure Sgt Pepper and some other albums got slight sound fixes and re-EQ, maybe the White Album as well?

22. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

I hear you on those Esher demos! What was offered on Anthology 3 was amazing quality, and apparently in stereo, too. Much higher sonic quality than the ones that had been played on Lost Lennon Tapes. An Esher demos album would be a dream come true.

23. The CW is that most of the 1987 Beatles CD’s were flat transfers, warts and all, but in some cases with a little manipulation. For example, analog noise gates were used on some White Album and Abbey Road tracks to cut down on hiss.

Lewisboogie and andrewskyDE like this.
  24. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Lewisohn wrote that the Moog-generated white noise on "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" caused headaches for the engineers mastering the album for CD. The implication is that some kind of noise reduction was used.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  25. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Only if they use George's tapes like they did on Anthology 3. I was so cheesed off when I got the Acoustic Masterpieces boot only to find the thing was in mono- I wanted that clear stereo sound like on Anthology. Do it right, boys, or don't bother doing it at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.