Gene Clark - Which Are His Best Albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ShockControl, Oct 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

I got the Plant/Krauss CD Raising Sand and was obsessed with it for a few weeks. I especially liked Polly Come Home, although Killing the Blues was my #1.
    From there I started looking for more Gene Clark. I got No Other on vinyl and it is one of my top ten albums. I love his voice, the mucicians, the songwriting, the recording quality. All of it.
    Next I ordered The White Light Sundazed LP and Two Sides to Every Story High Moon limited edition CD.

I'm a little disappointed in the SQ of White light. Gene's vocal sounds a tiny bit veiled on most cuts, as if they used a cheap mic. I even tried changing to my brightest cartridge, a Dynavector 10X3. Maybe I'm just a fiend for that tiny bit of reverb on No Other.
    Has anyone else noticed this?
    Based on what I've read here I am trying to decide what to get next. I was thinking Roadmaster; but maybe I should switch to The Fantastic Expedition... (I can't spend all of my allowance on one guy.)
    Mostly I need to know if certain issues/reissuses are especially well executed or if some are to be avoided. I see a double album CD on Amazon. Does anyone know if it's any good?
    https://www.amazon.com/Dillard-Clar...s=the+fantastic+expedition+of+Dillard+&+Clark
    Which version of Roadmaster is best?

indigo_m likes this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Go for Fantastic Expedition next. It is fantastic! My favourite Gene Clark album. Then go for Gene Clark with the Gosdin Brothers. Both are more essential than Roadmaster, which is a fine album too. All his 60s and 70s albums at least are essential.

If you can, go for a version of Fantastic Expedition that includes Why Not Your Baby? The original LP is very short and this was a great non album 45. It has been added to the CD issues of the album. The only vinyl I'm aware of that includes it is the Edsel 80s reissue.

olschl and indigo_m like this.
  3. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Apparently the new White Light from Intervention Records will be the best ever.
    I also don't like the SQ.

olschl, indigo_m and ted321 like this.
  4. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

I haven't heard about this reissue. Any more info please?

5. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

I agree about Rocky Top, but I think "No Longer a Sweetheart of Mine" and "Crying Holy" are excellent! Gene was not happy with the second D&C album. He was kind of forced into more of a bluegrass sound by Byron Berline & Doug Dillard & his girlfriend Donna Washburn and that is not the direction he wanted to go.

6. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Die hard Gene Clark fan. I have all the vinyl and Carla Olsen parings..also Dillard and clark. All must-haves.

Can't name a Gene Clark lp that isn't essential.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ruben lopez, bzfgt, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  7. lemonade kid

And this on Tahoma vinyl is wonderful:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hep Alien, olschl and indigo_m like this.
  8. ramdom

ramdom Hoarder Hearing

No Other for production, White Light for the lack of it x both for their songs w/ NO in the lead.

bzfgt, lemonade kid and indigo_m like this.
  9. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

indigo_m and Hep Alien like this.
  10. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Just got this in today. First listen! Enjoyed the liner notes about his happy time with his lady in his north California cabin. Too bad it went downhill for him from there.

11. lemonade kid

Did you get the High Moon vinyl or CD? Yes. A tragic downward spiral.

12. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

No Other to me is an outstanding album of its era.

13. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Got a CD on ebay. Appears to be on Omnivore/Universal

14. No Other
    Roadmaster
    The Fantastic Expedition Of Dillard & Clark (with Dillard & Clark)
    So Rebellious A Lover (with Carla Olson)

I guess you'd start with these, in this order. But if you like what Gene Clark does you'll probably eventually end up with everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.