Is Liz Phair one of Rock's Greatest Living Tragedies?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by I333I, Mar 1, 2013.

1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Not to derail the thread too much, but Yeah that’s very sad about Sheila— she made some pretty great albums over the years...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  2. I333I

I333I Forum Resident Thread Starter

Though the exaggeration was obviously lost on most people, the thread title is ONE of the greatest tragedies. Not THE.

3. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Yes. I think it’s just as good.

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I just wanted to give people some idea of what an actual "living tragedy" is like - a singer who can't so much as order a freaking pizza without being in agony.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  5. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

A few years ago they remodeled the bathroom and auctioned off all the signed tiles. The Jack White one got the most money.

But yeah. One of the nastiest bathrooms in Chicago. The disinfectant hits you twenty feet from the door.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. Vinylbob

Vinylbob Forum Resident

Well I guess that answers my question about whether this willl be an all analogue release.

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

White Babies live full band 2010

Liz Phair : "White Babies" Live @ Philadelphia (2005) [A.R. 4:3]
    White Babies 2005 solo acoustic "stump the artist" request version.

Liz Phair - Don't Hold Your Breath - 1995
    Don't Hold Yr Breath 1995 solo electric

Liz Phair - Wild Thing - 2005
    wild thing 2005 solo acoustic

Speed Racer - Liz Phair, Paradise Boston 12/15/2010
    Speed Racer 2010 full band with false start

Liz Phair - "Soap Star Joe" (2010-12-13)
    Soap Star Joe 2010 full band audience request. Also on Exile.

At least her fans get new work. They have online apps for pizza ordering now.

Hep Alien and Chris DeVoe like this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

For all the grief some people of my generation and older give the current technological world, it's a vastly better place for people with disabilities. Everyone has a way to communicate with text these days, while when I was a kid the only way to make a "phone call" to a deaf person was to call a TTY Operator and have a third party transcribe what you said and read what they typed. It's entirely possible for a person with nearly any disability to earn a living these days. And yes, a singer rendered mute can rebuild her life and become a writer, communicating with her editor and publisher and conduct interviews to publicize a book without ever having to say a word.

9. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

Additional information here:
    Liz Phair: Reissues and Box Sets
    • 3CD’s – 56 SONGS
    • AUDIO OF ALL THREE GIRLY-SOUND TAPES RESTORED FROM THE ORIGINAL CASSETTES PLUS THE REMASTERED EXILE IN GUYVILLE ALBUM
    • BOOK CONTAINS AN EXTENSIVE ORAL HISTORY BY JASON COHEN, ESSAYS BY ANN POWERS AND LIZ PHAIR
    Compact Disc 1
    01 6’1’’
    02 Help Me Mary
    03 Glory
    04 Dance of The Seven Veils
    05 Never Said
    06 Soap Star Joe
    07 Explain It To Me
    08 Canary
    09 Mesmerizing
    10 **** and Run
    11 Girls! Girls! Girls!
    12 Divorce Song
    13 Shatter
    14 Flower
    15 Johnny Sunshine
    16 Gunshy
    17 Stratford-On-Guy
    18 Strange Loop
    Compact Disc 2
    01 White Babies
    02 Shane
    03 6 Dick Pimp
    04 Divorce Song
    05 Go West
    06 Don’t Holdyrbreath
    07 Johnny Sunshine
    08 Miss Lucy
    09 Elvis Song
    10 Dead Shark
    11 One Less Thing
    12 Money
    13 In Love w/Yself
    14 Hello Sailor
    15 Wild-Thing
    16 **** And Run
    17 Easy Target
    18 Soap Star Joe
    19 Any In Alaska
    Compact Disc 3
    01 GIRLSGIRLSGIRLS
    02 Polyester Bride
    03 Thrax
    04 Miss Mary Mack
    05 Clean
    06 Love Song
    07 Valentine
    08 Gigolo
    09 Flower
    10 Batmobile
    11 Slave
    12 Open Season
    13 Whip Smart
    14 Suckerfish
    15 California
    16 South Dakota
    17 Bomb
    18 Easy
    19 Chopsticks

aseriesofsneaks and DesertHermit like this.
  10. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

Liz had the Girly Sound tapes transferred to DAT in 1995. That DAT was used as the source for Juvenilia.

11. 7MusicFan6

7MusicFan6 Forum Resident

I know it's silly, but I pre-ordered the triple disc CD set as well as the single disc because I like to have individual titles with original cover art on my shelf.

12. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Just curious -- how long are those first two Girlysound cassettes? Because I'm confused why they are both on double-LPs when they seem short enough to fit on one each. If the goal was to make the LP set too expensive for me, mission accomplished -- I'll be getting the CD version. Also, 10-15 minute album sides isn't my idea of fun, especially when the sound quality gains might not be much on a bunch of 25-year-old cassette transfers.

13. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Anyone manage to get tickets to a show on the upcoming tour? It seems to be booked into tiny places and selling out instantly. Great strategy to annoy the hard core fan base.

anthontherun and Chris DeVoe like this.
  14. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

Wow, Liz Phair probably would be pretty impressed to know she got 40 pages of discussion on SHMF.

blaken123 and Fullbug like this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

As I said, it's the sort of crap record company executives think of as a good idea. "This will build buzz and get everyone excited!" And then they will show up at the venue with a dozen of their closest friends.

Fullbug likes this.
  16. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

That's good. Another 20 years of print-through could have been ruinous.

17. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

The first two cassettes are an hour each; a little too long to squeeze onto two sides of vinyl, but resulting in relatively short sides when spread over four. I think the price for the vinyl box set is pretty reasonable, though. If you order it directly from Matador, it's $74.99, which is less than $11 per LP. It's also going to end up being something of a collector's item, as it's limited to 1900 copies.

I managed to get a ticket for the Brooklyn show, but got shut out for the others I wanted to attend during both the pre-sale and general on-sale. Most of the venues seem to be 400-600 capacity -- much smaller than the venues Liz played on the EIG 15th Anniversary tour (or when she originally toured behind EIG in '93 and '94, for that matter). Liz had posted on Facebook that the shows were booked for small rooms as she wanted them to be more intimate, but I think she's seriously underestimated the demand for this tour. I know quite a few people who had no luck getting tickets and are very frustrated by the whole experience. It does sound, though, like there will be another tour in the fall; hopefully Liz will play some bigger clubs then.

Sean Murdock and pghmusiclover like this.
  18. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Just ordered it. Can’t wait. May the 4th be with you, Phair fans.

Fullbug and aseriesofsneaks like this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

I don't think you could get 400 people in the Empty Bottle even if you stripped everyone naked and greased them up.

maxnix likes this.
  20. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

The Facebook event for the Turf Club show in Saint Paul lists 1700 people as interested in the event. That's just the people who saw the event notice in their feed and decided to interact with the event. There's no way to know what percentage of potential concert goers that actually represents, but it suggests that a venue with a capacity of 1500 should have been booked.

21. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The 2005 acoustic tour started with tiny venues including an impossible ticket 300 seater in Oregon, then had a fall tour.

Not wild about her new album(s)/book(s) being further pushed back.

22. shady_lane

shady_lane Forum Resident

It would be cool if Liz would do something like the Pixies did on a few of their tours, including the Doolittle Anniversary, where they recorded all of the shows with DiscLive and had CD copies available after the show/available to purchase online. Or have one of the shows streamed live or filmed. (Maybe those of you on social media could put this idea out there :cool:) Especially since this will probably be the only chance for fans to hear this material performed live, and the majority of us were not able to score tickets. I had hoped after the Guyville tour in 2008 Liz would reintroduce songs like "Strange Loop" and "Shatter", staples in her early shows, back into her set-lists. I was thrilled that "Nashville" was resurrected on the Funstyle tour; would love to hear more of those deeper cuts on future tours!

23. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Thanks -- and I agree, an hour is too much to try to squeeze onto a single LP. (I have a couple of albums that run 55+ minutes, and they never sound great.)

aseriesofsneaks likes this.
  24. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

25. Dave Gilmour's Cat