Have you ever preferred the CD to the Vinyl release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gregorya, Mar 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. art

art Senior Member

Many many times.

audiomixer likes this.
  2. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Dennis, you are the most consistent poster I know!

:hugs:

wrappedinsky likes this.
  3. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Sade - Diamond Life

I feel the cold(er), digital feeling of the very first Japan-for-EU CD issue of this album (EPKCD 26044, IIRC), does the music justice. A friend of mine has the LP (which seems to be held in VERY high regards by most listeners) and it just lacks the sheer coldness, especially on Hang on to Your Love. I don't know if this very precise, digital sound was originally intended, but it's essential to the product, at least for me.

phillyal1 likes this.
  4. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

When they first came out, all of them! But then again, I like Kool Aid! ;)

wrappedinsky, xfilian and gregorya like this.
  5. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I think that’s not quite right — the Centennial Collection was a new mastering featuring amazing restoration techniques and was miles better than ANY previous version regardless of format. It was CD-only at first but the later RSD vinyl was great (not better) too.

In general my opinion is that there are lots of CDs that sound brilliant but it’s more likely that a vinyl mastering will have additive goodness than the reverse. Otherwise it’s mostly an “as good as” situation with great-sounding CDs, not “better than.”

All Down The Line and Dominator like this.
  6. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

The Salvo CD reissue of the Procol Harum debut is better than any LP version I’ve heard.

In classical the examples are almost endless.

Joseph and Marzz like this.
  7. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

8. Graham 12" Remix

Graham 12" Remix Graham Sylvian, Graham Gedge or Graham from Felt

I loved my CDs and the ripped CDs I now stream. Remastering can help, and playing the newly-remastered CD of the Name of this Band is Talking Heads through a Cyrus 6 system is probably my favourite ever listening experience - the vinyl version had fewer people on stage to my ears.

danielbravo likes this.
  9. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Yep, we did.... however....

The problem when CD's came out was simply the players were of low quality, so the discs sounded bad.

Nowadays, players are highly developed and can show that 'even' the early 80's CD's were well produced and mostly sound great.

Vinyl lost it's advantage - especially for the reasons you mentioned - clicks and pops, other pressing flaws. deterioration of the vinyl, too much storage space and less portable.

kyouki, Dmdstrhalo, kiddo4 and 7 others like this.
  10. Hillel abramov

Hillel abramov Forum resident

I always prefer CD to vinyl. I also use a car and not a horse and carriage. I even use electricity to light up my home as I stopped using candles.

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Yep, plenty of times.

Neonbeam likes this.
  12. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

the only CD release I have which I find equal to and even in some ways better than is the Black triangle version of Abbey Road.

and yes I have an original UK pressing of that record.

hi_watt likes this.
  13. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Provided the vinyl floor is not scratched, warped, off centre or has non fill issues.

14. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

The pattern is vital . When I play 'Mull of Kintyre' by Wings, The floor must have a tartan pattern.

Vdigital and aphexj like this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

99.9/10% of the time...

audiomixer likes this.
  16. Michael

I prefer tile. : )

17. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

The first 4 Black Crowes albums and first 4 Pearl Jam albums immediately spring to mind.

And I'm a "vinyl first" kind of guy...

joelee and Dmdstrhalo like this.
  18. Michael

lovely thread...thanks for starting it!

gregorya likes this.
  19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

20. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

The Sticky Fingers SACD as well..... and so many others.

Dmdstrhalo, art and danielbravo like this.
  21. lance b

lance b Forum Resident

Mostly, yes. But it depends so much on matering and these days compression of the CD.

Joseph likes this.
  22. McRib

McRib Well-Known Member

I think lovers of both formats would find the mofi Love and Theft SACD to be money very well spent.

telepicker97 and stef1205 like this.
  23. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

It all depends on the mastering. All in all, vinyl is technically inferior, but if the mastering is better, it is far superior.

bluesky, thebisch, DaverJ and 5 others like this.
  24. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Usually I prefer the CD if the vinyl received the same horridly loud mastering such as Jane's Addiction's Great Escape Artist or Soundgarden's Telephantasm collection.
    When the vinyl is mastered separately, like Dave Matthews Band's Crash or Red Hot Chili Pepper's Stadium Arcadium (in both cases fully analogue cuts) I find I definitely prefer the vinyl.

I love being format agnostic...I go where the mastering is best.

Also if there is an AAA vinyl mastering and an audiophile digital mastering, I'll choose digital if the vinyl has some handicap like running times per side. Looking at MOFI's upcoming releases there's no way I wouldn't choose the SACD of Love Over Gold over the 2LP 45rpm vinyl due to Telegraph Road's 14+ minute running time, when the facility pressing the vinyl (RTI) already states 10 mins is optimum and 12 mins is the maximum before sonics and/or level are compromised.

gregorya likes this.
  25. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Is the original Love Over Gold LP not an option?

telepicker97 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.