Did you ever get to watch "real" movies in school?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Man, I would have loved to pay a little something to watch part of a movie during lunch every day in Middle School! That would have been awesome!

2. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

In Grade School, we went on a field trip to an old-time theatre in Cincinnati that was showing the movie "1776". We didn't know it at the time (teachers didn't tell us,) but later in the year we found out we were putting on a play based on "1776". We also had to write a report about it too. I guess you could say it was "educational" but it was still a real movie.

In Junior High, we had assembly every month and a few per year were for watching movies (rewards for the school meeting goals.) I remember two of them specifically. "The Champ" with Ricky Schroder and Jon Voight was one and another was a "Dr. Phibes" movie with Vincent Price. There were others, but I had forgotten them.

In college, for my British Literature II class, we got to watch the entire "Apocalypse Now" movie spread over a couple days. Reason was because we were reading Joseph Conrad's "Heart Of Darkness" at the time. Also, we got to watch a "Frankenstein" movie since we also read "Frankenstein". I took the course over the summer during a 5 week span, to get it over with (normal term was 15-week semester.) So, basically we were hammered with material. Had no tests in the class and our entire grade was based on a take home midterm that was some sort of essay and an in-class final exam that was another type of essay. Needless to say, one of the essay questions was to compare and contrast "Heart Of Darkness" with "Apocalypse Now". The "Frankenstein" essay question wasn't a compare and contrast, but more of a question about various symbolism and meanings that Mary Shelley was trying to get across.

3. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

We got to watch the 1970s Romeo and Juliette in English class. That bit of teenaged boobage caused quite the tittering.

4. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

My geography teacher was a big Who fan, and he brought in the Who's Last VHS for the last day of class.

5. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

Not a one.
    I did have a 6th grade Math teacher who let us listen to Santana's first album.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I'll never forget them showing us Roman Polanski's MACBETH - I would'e been 14 or 15. We had a big hall and it was projected as it would be in the cinema, on a big screen. I still don't think it was appropriate, but I love the film and the play itself. I've seen the Welles version, but haven't seen the latest remake, though I'd like to.

7. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

I can't recall ever seeing a real movie in class at my grade school, but there were a lot of field trips to the
    then-state-of-the-art- Century theaters, usually a family-oriented musical. I remember seeing "The Happiest Millionaire", "Finian's Rainbow" and "Oliver!" in this manner.
    Much better was the school-sponsored Summer film program at the park next door to the school...every Saturday during the mid-sixties
    they'd run old 40's & 50's comedies such as Martin & Lewis, Hope & Crosby, Abbott & Costello, etc. For 25 cents you got a seat on the tile floor,
    a can of off-brand soda, and a bag of stale popcorn. Good times.

8. telliott

telliott Senior Member

In high school, we all went on a field trip to see Ordinary People at the theater.

9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I remember watching Forrest Gump and Christiane F at my high school days. Watched them a lot before that time though.

LeBon Bush and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  10. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

There was a company in Chicago "Films, Inc." that schools could rent film material from, I know a 16mm print showing of "Yellow Submarine" because it was advertised in my brother's school announcements (1981) The quality wasn't great but he remembers it was watchable in a classroom on the pull down screen.

11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I had a couple cool high school teachers who would show some.

More of the classics like Romeo and Juliet.

Great Expectations, etc.

12. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

My history teacher, Mr Perneel (the man was amazing... he'd be fascinating subject for a film), showed us The Name of the Rose. Not sure which grade, but can't have been older than 15. I think we were collectively embarrassed for the scene where Christian Slater gets his freak on. We also got Mississippi Burning in his class. And Schildler's List.

Also Soldier of Orange, but not sure if it was in Dutch or history class anymore. Probably the latter.

In English class, we were shown Catch-22, which if I remember correctly was the teacher's favourite literary work.

In the canteen they were always showing films for the pupils that had to bridge an hour to the next class... Octopussy, The Living Daylights, one or two of the Police Academy films...

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  13. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

In my 7th or 8th grade classroom we watched "Requiem for a Heavyweight", the 1962 film with Anthony Quinn. A great film that I still have and watch on occasion.
    A Blu-ray restoration would be nice!

14. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I remember in high school, the health class teacher was thinking about showing us the (1976) made for TV film "Helter Skelter" but opted not to because he said it was rated "R" and didn't want to have to get permission slips from parents, etc.

Weird thing is, as a made for TV movie, which was broadcast on network TV, it would have been not rated so there shouldn't have been any issues with it.

15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

We watched the remake of Nosferatu in about the 5th form (age 16) for some reason. Odd choice.

16. PaulKTF

Had you read Dracula in English class? If so, I wonder why they didn't just show Dracula? Hmm.

17. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Yes. I remember watching "The Natural" with Robert Redford back in the 80s in an English class for some reason. I remember the movie made me really sleepy.

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

No, it was completely unrelated to anything. I think it had been out a couple of years by then.

19. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Yes, when I went to school some teachers would show movies to illustrate themes and concepts that we were learning about. Particularly social studies and history. As I recall, we watched The Greatest Story Ever Told and Brother Sun Sister Moon (a biography of St. Francis of Assisi - Donovan did the soundtrack!) in religion class, Terms of Endearment in another class, and The Neverending Story in a literature class. A teacher also taped The Day After and we watched that in a social studies class. I also remember seeing Song of the South and Little Brother of the Wilderness as filmstrips, but I think that was for entertainment and not for any particular class.

20. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

In elementary school it was
    The Red Balloon. Numerous times.

Middle school English class was Wuthering Heights, Blackboard Jungle, West Side Story. I can't remember what else. Some pretty great movies.

21. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I taught h.s. Social Studies for 30 years. Showed The Right Stuff, All Quiet On The Western Front, a mini series on Julius Caesar, and others. Kids generally loved them.

22. PaulKTF

I used to love when we'd watch movies because it was a fun way to learn about whatever the topic was.

23. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

My grade school was the go-to place to see ‘Francis the Talking Mule.’ In assembly, no less.

24. PaulKTF

That sounds like the kind of thing they'd show you as a reward for the class reading X number of books in a month or something. I'd watch it. :)

25. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

I honestly don’t remember what we did to deserve it. But hey, it beat schoolwork.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.