Broken cueing lever help (Mofi Ultradeck)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pbiancardi, Mar 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbiancardi

pbiancardi Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just got this TT from eBay and unfortunately arrived with the cueing lever broken (see picture). Seller is very helpful and has filed claim with FedEx, I can certainly force a return and refund but don't see the point of that, at least not yet.

My question is can this be repaired and if so what kind of epoxy would I use? I know plastics are hard to permanently repair unless using the correct epoxy and I have no idea what kind of plastic this is? Is repair (assuming I can get some sort of reimbursement) a wise thing to do or better to just call it a total loss?

[​IMG]

2. mdelrossi

mdelrossi Forum Resident

That sucks!

There is plastic solvent that is used to bond plastic to plastic. It basically melts the two pieces together.
    https://www.amazon.com/Weld-Acrylic-Adhesive-Applicator-Bottle/dp/B0096TWKCW

FYI there are different glues/solvents for different plastics.

That being said I would also find a small piece of plastic to overlap under both the cueing lever and the remaining piece on the tonearm column, for extra support.

Good luck
    mdr

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I think OP should contact Mo-Fi for spare parts advice. Frankly it's likely bearings have been damaged as well so maybe a replacement arm is in order. Either find out cost of repair and get refund from seller or return for full refund. Frankly I would return the whole TT to seller. He obviously failed to pack adequately. You have to allow for couriers dropping or throwing the package.

4. pbiancardi

Let me add this, assuming everything else works fine, is it worth considering if I can end up with a severely discounted (but repaired) table?

5. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

I'm curious, did the seller ship the table using the original packing material?

6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Yes if you get it at the right price. Just check there is no more hidden damage.

7. pbiancardi

Yes I cannot blame the seller at all, everything was packed in the factory double box, the outer box was damaged (clearly dropped, dropped hard). Shipping companies are just horrible, this is second turntable in a row I have received damaged, both were packed well.

displayname and WestGrooving like this.
  8. Doc Diego

Doc Diego Forum Resident

If the price was right and everything else works I would keep it. Try some of the quick drying epoxy for plastics and check with MoFi for a part replacement. I dig DIY but YMMV.

9. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Given the break, this detail, the ebay purchase, and the caliber of that table... I would be seeking a full refund personally. Even if you have the cue lever replaced, I could have a lot of concerns based on the drop. Is the interior of plinth damaged? Hard to say. The feet? If you had a cartridge attached, how long was that bouncing around during shipment?
    It might all work fine now, but I would still be worried about how a major drop might effect it long term. And since you have evidence of a hard drop, that would be enough for me to wash my hands of it.

macster, Pythonman and The FRiNgE like this.
  10. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Not an expert on glue, the type of glue is very specific to the type of plastic, such as "model airplane glue" welds styrene plastic. I am certain the cue lever is not styrene so that eliminates modeler's glue. Industrial grade super glue may bond the plastic. This stuff will probably do the job but awful to work with. The fumes are overwhelming, and anything you don't want it on, will be permanently glued. The industrial stuff should be available at any auto-body supply house. It is two part, super glue and spray catalyst.. so all other surfaces need to be masked off as the catalyst may react with them.

This may be nearly the same stuff: Instantbond World's Fastest Instant Adhesive Glue - Clear - Cyanoacrylate Glue and Activator Spray - 100/400 ml-100-400 - The Home Depot

Maybe the best option would be to return the turntable.

This second method is a permanent repair, two part epoxy and dowels:

I have repaired plastic breaks successfully by using metal dowels, perhaps for your repair a guitar "D" string, .026 inch dia. (easily purchased from any musical instrument store Ernie Ball Super Slinky set 2221) and a #70 drill. The closest next up size would be .75mm. Tip: do not use screws, the dowels are much stronger and your two pieces will mate without gaps. (solid copper or steel wire may be used too, but measure the dia and a drill of the right size)

1) Cut the .026 string to about 1/2 inches length, or long enough to pass through the lower broken half to about 1/4 inch into the upper half.

2) BEST PRACTICE: remove the lower broken half from the plinth, and clamp both pieces together in a vise with wood blocks. Drill the dowel hole through the lower half into the upper half, so that you will have perfectly mating holes for the dowels. Tip: wrap some tape on the drill as a depth gauge. The holes should be slightly larger than the dowels for a snug fit but easily slide into the holes. (Holes a little larger and a looser dowel fit is ok as the epoxy will fill the gap)

3) Trial fit the parts. Use two part epoxy. Be sure to fill the dowel holes, insert the dowels, let the excess squeeze out. Typical set time will be 5 to 10 minutes, so the excess can be wiped away. When set, this is a very strong bond. As an alternate, super glue slow set may be used, but sometimes difficult to wipe away excess.

4) A small piece of tape on both sides may help in keeping the parts lined up as the epoxy sets up.

5) Allow full curing time before installing the cue lever.

With some skill and patience, this type of repair is stronger than the plastic itself!

Good luck,
    Steve VK

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    stuwee likes this.
  11. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

@Classicrock Best advice! perhaps Mofi could ship a replacement part!

12. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Send it back for a refund. There is very likely other damage that is not visible that will impact the correct functionality of this table.

13. pbiancardi

This is exactly what I did. I am happy with the sound so I ordered a new one. The return was a little stressful as the seller wanted me to give it to FedEx rather than return to him (on eBay right or wrong the seller is responsible for dealing with shipping damage not the buyer). I did get the ok from eBay (in writing) to hand over to FedEx with promise that if FedEx doesn't pay the claim eBay will cover it.

14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You did the right thing. Always cover your behind in these matters. Nobody else is looking out for you but you.

Good luck!

displayname likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.