Duck You Sucker

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, Mar 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

There is a new KINO blu-ray release of this movie (yes, there was an old MGM release . . .)

Duck, You Sucker Blu-ray - James Coburn

This again is another Sergio Leone spaghetti western, with a soundtrack by Ennio Morricone. I absolutely love Once Upon a Time in the West, don't really get into The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

Some fanboys are saying this is Leone's third best western and well worth a watch.

Anybody have an opinion, having seen it? BTW, I have always liked James Coburn and miss him.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  2. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I've always considered it the 'thinking man's' Leone. Colburn's Sean is argueably Leone most complex protagonist (sorry Noodles) and the flashbacks imbue the movie with a poignant depth. Leone was pushing his luck, and the envelope a bit here - what detractors see as flaws I consider strengths, such as Leone playing around with narrative construction, especially in the long (I do mean long) opening sequence, relatively little action (but more reflection on the consequences or of non-action)

Fistful of Dynamite as it's also called is a better title. DUS reflects Leone's misunderstanding of colloqialism. A third alt title "Once Upon A Time In the Revolution" positions the film as part of Leones "Once Upon a Time Trilogy"

Must mention the sound track is one of Morrincone's best as well. It's almost ridculously melodic and romantic at times.

The Panda, jwoverho and artfromtex like this.
  3. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I like it alright but I wouldn't rate it one of Leone's best.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

sounds about right, love Coburn and steiger even though he chews the scenery like its going out of style, the music is awesome and its all over the place but works (for me)

townsend likes this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm sorry - why again is it assumed I'm the sucker, just because I don't duck...? :confused:

6. I love this movie. I saw it in the theatre when it was released as I'm a big Rod Steiger and James Coburn fan. I found the vinyl soundtrack many years later and still play it to this day. That score is awesome!

[​IMG]

7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Saw it once, not likely to see it again

ando here likes this.
  8. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I've heard (Glenn Erickson, if you're wondering) that on this new BluRay the title has reverted back to A Fistful of Dynamite.

9. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

In this case of avoiding the horizontal blast radius from dynamite, ducking wouldn't be very effective anyways.

10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Then, what's all the point about the sucking...?

11. Not a very fun watch. I tried it again yesterday and turned it off after 25 minutes.

12. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Indeed. Couldn't hide my contempt from a friend who had me over to watch it. Last time I saw him.

13. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Interesting, but secondary Leone. The score by Morricone provides much of the power and beauty of the film and is one of his best. If pressed I would say Top 10, and that’s no easy feat given the scope of Ennio’s work.

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

We went to LA when I was in HS and it was playing down the street. The letters fell off and it was Duck you Suck.
    I thought it was an anti Disney movie until I aw the marquee from another angle.

15. Whurly

Whurly Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it for years but my memory is the first half was a bit of a mess but the rest was pretty good.

Spadeygrove and Pete Puma like this.
  16. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Love it. Saw it in college when I went to the University of Colorado on the Denver campus and never forgot it. Like many have said the Morricone score is bonkers/awesome and he must realize it because when I saw him conduct in Rome in 2004 he played large chunks of it.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The rape was a bit messy.........I'd agree that it takes awhile. Steiger is in full Pacino scenery chew mode. I always had a soft spot for Coburn as well.

Spadeygrove and Whurly like this.
  18. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

With no comma in the thread title, I read it as “duck you, sucker.”

19. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Excellent film, though not top tier Leone. Love the 'There's your revolution!' speech.

There is a heavily-edited version in circulation - wonder if those who didn't like it saw that version?

20. "Contempt" is a pretty strong word, what was so awful about it?

21. I have the Bluray. I have made two attempts to date to watch the whole movie and failed each time. I really had high hopes for his movie.

22. hanshotfirst1138

hanshotfirst1138 Well-Known Member

Sigh. I was hoping that Kino would restore the damned original mono track at long last. I guess there goes the last chance.

captainsolo likes this.
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

No affection for it myself.

24. hanshotfirst1138

hanshotfirst1138 Well-Known Member

Really? I love it and think it’s Leone’s most underrated film.

captainsolo and Spadeygrove like this.
  25. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

The menage a trois ending didn't justify... much. :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.