Yamaha comes through (CD-S2100)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by lonelysea, Mar 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers Thread Starter

I've mentioned in other posts about the problems I'd been having with my less than three-year-old Yamaha SACD/CD player. Almost since new it was very sensitive to scratched CDs, especially on the outer edge/last tracks. In recent months it would even skip on brand new SACDs. Shame since it paired so nicely (sound wise) with my Yamaha A-S2100 integrated.
    I'd been in communication with Yamaha America for quite some time and they graciously agreed to repair my player even though it was a few months out of warranty. They even paid for shipping and insisted I send it to their principal repair facility in SoCal.
    In only one week they fixed the player - replacing a "module board" - and I'm happy to report that the player is working flawlessly. I've thrown every problematic CD I own at it and it sounds perfect.

I love my Yamaha amp but my faith was shaken with their CD player - I came close to buying a Luxman/Accuphase/Esoteric. So glad I stuck it out. Kudos to Yamaha for coming through!

2. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

That is how good customer service retains product loyalty. Glad to hear of your happy ending. I second the kudos!

lonelysea likes this.
  3. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

Great news! I Like the combo myself.

lonelysea likes this.
  4. lonelysea

Spoke too soon. After more than a week of trouble-free performance, the player decided tonight to stop working. Disc loads but won’t play - just says “loading” on display. Also won’t eject without turning off the unit first. So, they fixed one problem and replaced it with another!
    Faith shaken again. Maybe send it back to Yamaha, maybe just cut to the chase and replace (hmmm, Luxman or Esoteric?).

tommy-thewho likes this.
  5. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

Boo! Music Direct has a Luxman D-8 open box that I'd love to try.
    Need a new car though. :D

lonelysea likes this.
  6. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

You could do what I did. I just plugged in my new Bryston BDA-3 tonight. I am using it with a universal disc player, HDMI out for SACDs. Pretty darn impressive out of the box. If and when the drive goes on the disc player then I will simply replace it with another inexpensive player. The BDA-3 has a 20 year warranty so I don't think I'll be worrying about it too much!

lonelysea and rednedtugent like this.
  7. lonelysea

My local audio guy is trying to talk me into a Linn DSM thing. I’m just old school I guess (if CDs qualify as old school). I have limited rack space, so separate DACs and drives are an issue.
    I really just want a player that won’t break...

8. lonelysea

I just got a new car, which makes for some bad timing here. Don’t think I haven’t seen that deal on Music Direct - I believe they have two of the older D-08 units. I’ve got my eye on the latest D-06u unit.

9. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Marantz SA10

10. lonelysea

Really. Better than a comparably priced Esoteric or Luxman? Or are we comparing apples to apples at this point?

11. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Different flavors of apples with the Marantz being the sweeter, IMO.

lonelysea likes this.
  12. Helom

Helom Forum member

Ask for a new replacement.

rednedtugent and lonelysea like this.
  13. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

I considered all the options. These machines are wildly expensive. The combination of something like an OPPO 203 and Bryston BDA-3 will cost less, take -up almost the same rack space and sound fantastic. Mechanical devices like disc drives are prone to failure.

lonelysea likes this.
  14. lonelysea

Update: After more than a month in the shop, Yamaha have decided to replace my broken unit with a new one! Great news as now I won’t have to change the title of this thread to something less flattering and I can return the Oppo 203 to video duties*. Came thisclose to ordering a new Luxman player - talked to a (great) dealer in San Francisco who gave me a great price.
    I hope this one lasts longer than two years.

*the 203 worked great in a pinch, but every day revealed deficiencies in the sound quality compared to the Yamaha. I ended up listening far less (maybe one album a night, if at all).

RiRiIII, ranch 22b, 4xoddic and 5 others like this.
  15. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Are the digital outputs active when the digital inputs (including usb) are being used? Do they output what comes in through the digital inputs? In other words: does digital to digital conversion occurs?

16. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Yes! Although when the Pure Direct button is on then there is no digital output at all!

lonelysea likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.