Funniest Performance in the Christopher Guest Directed Repetory Movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Mar 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

I was going to make this a poll, but that would take a lot of work, and then someone would post "Why didn't you include X?" within the first 5 minutes anyway, so ...

Film Struck is currently streaming the "big 4" Christopher Guest directed films that feature the usual suspects - "Waiting for Guffman", "Best in Show", "A Mighty Wind" and "For Your Consideration". I was inspired to rewatch all 4, and was curious who other people thought gave the funniest performance.

After whittling it down, my final showdown was Fred Willard in "A Mighty Wind" ("Wha happened?") facing off against Fred Willard in "Best in Show" (with special acknowledgment for Jim Piddock's incredible work as Willard's straight man). Needless to say, Fred won.

Make as many selections as you want. Poll closes by Purim or Thanksgiving, your choice.

2. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

I think you've already given the definitive answer. Willard is brilliant in these movies. For 2nd place, I'd choose Guest himself as Corky in Guffman.

3. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Parker Posey - Best in Show.

Splungeworthy and RayS like this.
  4. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Yes, you nailed it already for me already.
    Willard for the win and to place for the two movies you've mentioned with him and probably Catherine O' Hara to show for Best in Show .

If I'm not mistaken the cast members are given plenty of room to improvise within the framework of the situation .

If that's actually the case Fred gets an extra shout out from me for his hilarious lines when he is sitting at the table with the other guy at the dog judging .

They are all great movies and the returning cast members all make me laugh .

I know " underrated "is a stupid expression , but if there was any justice in this world Catherine O'Hara should be up there in Meryl Streep territory , IMO.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  5. RayS

That character is such a left turn from the character she played in "Waiting for Guffman". What an incredibly unlikeable couple. :)

vamborules likes this.
  6. RayS

To me there is a lull in "Best in Show" after a strong start, and then along comes Fred's play-by-play and the movie goes up three notches. Why CAN'T the bloodhound wear a Sherlock Holmes outfit? :)

7. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

"We were so lucky to have been raised amongst catalogs."

RayS likes this.
  8. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

Fred Willard for the win!
    Best in Show

Instant Dharma and RayS like this.
  9. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

So many to choose from! I'll go with Fred Willard in Best In Show. Think I'm gonna watch this tonight.

RayS likes this.
  10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

A Mighty Wind for me.

RayS likes this.
  11. Gene Levy is absolutely hilarious in the first three

12. Ringmaster_D

Ringmaster_D Surfer of Sound Waves

These films are an embarrassment of riches, but I'd have to go with Christopher Guest as Corky!

MikaelaArsenault and RayS like this.
  13. Catherine O'Hara does a brilliant Streep impersonation on SCTV

14. RayS

When Dr. Pearl "does Carson" in "Waiting For Guffman" I totally lose it.

15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Eugene, not Gene.

16. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Levy & O'Hara are both great in 'A Mighty Wind' , in their scenes together and separately.

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Corky was too unlikable/annoying.

That said, Hitchcock and Posey as the insufferable yuppie couple in "BiS" were delightfully unlikable - much funnier than Corky!

"You go back and get her Busy Bee!" :laugh:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

I was gonna mention that pair as probably the best acting performance in a Guest movie, as they provided actual drama.

Wouldn't call 'em the funniest though! :)

Gems-A-Bems and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  19. RayS

He's only in one of the films (I think, anyway), and then for about a minute, but I love this sequence.

There are 5 letters in Blaine!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  20. RayS

I find the Corky character to be exceptionally likeable. He has an earnestness that is endearing and he is fully invested in this silly little play and its chances for Broadway.

21. Oatsdad

I guess we're in "agree to disagree" territory! :)

From my review:

"Corky himself feels especially hard to embrace, as he seems like a neurotic, self-absorbed megalomaniac for the most part. Guest offers much more warm and gentle performances as Tap’s Nigel Tufnel or Show’s Harlan Pepper, but those sides rarely appear as Corky.

Corky’s an amusing role, but Guest makes him a bit too catty, and the choice to play him as gay pushes matters a little further in the negative way. Yes, this broad portrayal makes sense for this sort of spoof, but it comes across as a little too harsh at times."

MikaelaArsenault and RayS like this.
  22. RayS

Um, Corky's as straight as an arrow. His wife is just, well ... no one's ever seen her is all. :)

23. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

i love the gal interviewing Ricky Gervais in "For Your consideration": "When would be the best time to visit England? The Fourth of July?"

24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Fred for the win...

25. poidog

poidog Senior Member

What makes Fred Willard's commentary in "Best in Show" even more amazing to me is that he was improvising all those lines in an empty arena. The action he was describing was not actually going on. He was just told what would be going on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.