Do you "haggle" at used record stores?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DK Pete, Mar 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

My record guy is real cool,he'll sometimes let me have something real cheap[and in mint condition too]because I'm a long time customer.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  2. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

If I am buying multiples my local shop will knock something off the price automatically. Especially if there is new vinyl mixed in the sale with the used. Usually around 10-15 percent on the total price. But they see me in there often.

I do see some used items in there that have been marked above what I am willing to spend on a used album and they have been there at least 3 years. Those I am tempted to offer like 2/3 the price of just to see if he would bite to move inventory ($75 or higher on those).

3. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I did it only one time. The store had a set of the Complete Fats Waller Group Recordings in several volumes, priced at $75 per volume.
    I looked them up online and saw that I could get them at $12 per volume. I mentioned that to the store owner and he said, “$12 per volume it is.”

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Not in North America:cheers:

5. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Question to those who never "haggle". If you go into a store and buy used records for the face value of 200$, do you expect the owner to give you a discount, even a small one? Because, I do!

ODShowtime and Pathfinderpat like this.
  6. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I would "like" that and it would encourage me to frequent the store more often but I do not expect it. If I walk up to the counter with albums to the value of $200, I am willing to pay that for them. If not, why bother? I think that can vary culturally. There are place in the world where haggling is the norm and when I am there, I haggle.

7. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

I generally buy new in store and second hand online these days. The owner / manager of each of three different used record stores I frequented weekly between 1995 - 2010 (by which time they had all closed) used give me decent discounts on stuff I'd buy once they got to know me. I'd never haggled with them, though. I used even by given free records the odd time.

8. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

not at a record store but definitely at a record show but never a rude low ball offer.

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  9. Terry

Terry Senior Member

If I have several albums, I’ll ask if there’s anything he can do for me. Wait. That sounds sordid.

10. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Ever been to Afghanistan? I don’t generally haggle but I learned how there.

11. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

No, but I don't doubt you. In my experience in most of Asia it is the norm - a trap for the uninitiated if you don't do your research.

mahanusafa02 likes this.
  12. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

Never at record stores. I will on rare occasions haggle at record shows, but only if I feel the records are truly overpriced. At a record shows I am taking on a bigger risk because I can't return the record if it's defective, so I'm not willing to pay higher prices that I might if the record was guaranteed.

13. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Sometimes but not often. If I’m buying a bunch or one or two that are very high priced I might chisel them a bit. For me high priced starts at around $50.00.

14. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

When bringing records to sell (trade for store credit, actually) if I had anything of particular value (maybe a promo stamped record, or poster included, etc.)
    I would point this out, so the buyer understood that I knew what I had. Not "haggling", but getting an upper hand sometimes.

15. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Haggling is generally a no-no in the U.S., unless you're at a swap meet or garage sale. It has never occurred to me to do that.

Mr. LP Collector and dalem5467 like this.
  16. dalem5467

dalem5467 Forum Resident

Never. If I don't want to pay the listed price, I don't buy it.

17. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Nope. They have a business to run. Hagglers develop a reputation. Reliable buyers do too. That's where they'll pull the really good stuff from behind the counter for you to look at. And automatically give discounts when you're purchasing.

18. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

Once haggled when purchasing a single piece of luggage from a small shop in Georgetown, Penang. The dealer finally accepted what may have been my final offer, while almost throwing my new suitcase at me!

19. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

No.
    I have gotten some good deals without saying anything. Occasionally.
    I think it's better to just be nice (of course) and keep your mouth shut about the prices.
    That's been my experience.

20. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

Back in the late 1970's I was in a partnership with 2 used stores. I know the costs of running a business. I know the problems of running a business; the shoplifting, the broken windows at two in the morning, the problems of dealing with defective vinyl. That was forty years ago, I don't believe things have gotten better. Local government gets bigger. Regulations get nutsier. They want a piece of your pie--and they get it too!

I've never gone into a used record store to try to solicit a discount. If I'm buying something for resale it's up to me to bring in an item or two to trade that I know the store can use. You build up trust with a store owner. You tell other collectors to get in that store and support him. I believe in Karma, I do. You get your PR to work and store owners remember that.

Record shows? While you DO see sellers have their selection as "priced as marked", most people I've bought from generally round off figures. What I do is mark down an item I have marked at $8.49 and make it $7.00, roughly making it a 20% discount. Now if you buy $25 to $30, well, up the discount a tad, not because you have but because you want to. At a record show, I always try to keep my end of the conversation light. There's enough BS going on in the world that for the one time in three months you either are making good coin selling or scoring an armful of goodies. And like your store owner, treat your weekend warrior seller with respect, don't treat him like crap.

uphoria6 likes this.
  21. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

No! Never!

22. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I don't think that's true as I'm fairly sure Americans haggle when it comes to big purchases such as cars and houses. But generally American stores offer discounts via more subtle methods such as reducing the price per item when buying more than one. You might also get discounts if the goods are in a poorer condition than advertised. In other cultures, however, you are expected to haggle on everything. A middle eastern record buyer is probably thinking it's a daft question.

deredordica likes this.
  23. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

Yes. Generally when it's about second hand stuff.
    Got a copy of "Beatles For Sale" as first mono UK pressing for about 10 quid. Great copy and a very kind seller. :)

24. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Recently?:faint:

jeff

25. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

Says who? I've haggled at record stores when the price is too high. And I've successfully talked them down too.

deredordica likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.