Suggestions for turntable leveler?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ToxicSoundtracks, Mar 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToxicSoundtracks

ToxicSoundtracks Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi

I am in search of a easy to use and affordable leveler for my turntable. I just got a new Shure n97xe. I see so many turntable levelers on amazon but I don't know what to pick or what to look for in the stats. My turntable is a LP120.

Thanks in advance!

2. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

People recomend the Ortofon. I use some I bought in a hardware store.

ToxicSoundtracks likes this.
  3. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

A simple one you find in a hardware store is fine.
    If you dont want to spend money on a one time thing then take a trip to a hifi store and ask to borrow a leveler or other setup equipment. If they are nice they will let you use it for a day.

4. ToxicSoundtracks

is that compatible with a Shure cartridge tho since its from Ortofon?

5. ToxicSoundtracks

hey leonthepro

i recently watched a vinyleyezz vid on youtube and i was looking thru the comments to see if anyone knew the model name and where i can find the leveler Jarrett used in the video. he didn't have a link to it. I saw your avatar in the comment replies. do you happen to know any info on that bubble leveler? theres so many comments id figure Jarrett wouldn't notice my question.

6. Leonthepro

A leveler only measurs the level of the platter or table. What are you suggesting with the cartridge? Are you thinking of the ortofon cartridges? @4011021 is talking about Ortofons level gauge which they sell.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  7. Leonthepro

If you are talking about his more recent TT setup video the level he uses does not look like any commercial leveling tool for record players specifically. He must have got it at a local store for normal woodwork and thats fine.
    I should let you know however, he was a little confusing in that video as leveling doesnt actually "improve" your sound necessarily, it just allows your next steps in the setup process to work properly like anti skate. This is why leveling should be the very first step in table setup.

8. ToxicSoundtracks

Opps forgot. Disregard that post

Leonthepro likes this.
  9. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

There are two leveling. The platter/turntable can be leveled with your generic hardware level. Or this Ortofon that people who uses it says it's reliable. Will work with any table: Premium Bubble Level

The headshell/cartridge may be leveled for azimuth adjustment with a very small and light bubble level like this, but I've never used one: Analogue Studio VTA and Azimuth Bubble Level

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  10. Leonthepro

11. Leonthepro

This is not very useful if one cant adjust azimuth however. I would also not think its very useful for high end users as azimuth should be set by the stylus not the arm, and thats done best by ear anyway.

12. ToxicSoundtracks

Yea that's the one. I remember u mentioned that in your comment. Can u or anyone else recommend a affordable leveler i can get online? Its just more convenient for me.

Leonthepro likes this.
  13. ToxicSoundtracks

Leonthepro likes this.
  14. ToxicSoundtracks

Thanks ill check out that tt bubble leveler too

punkmusick likes this.
  15. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I just use a T-Level like the one linked from Amazon. I think I bought it at Lowes, maybe ACE. I have semi-spherical bubble levels. But I find them awkward as I adjust front to back then left to right. I have a Rega decks, so azimuth isn't adjustable without shimming, and that would just complicate shimming for VTA.

Ghostworld and ToxicSoundtracks like this.
  16. cjc

cjc Senior Member

17. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I question the accuracy of a cheap bubble like some of those. Although it should get you close. I'm a carpenter so I have multiple leveling devices to try out. A simple torpedo level might be good as well. You could check the results you get from the bubble. I used a PLS laser shining above the table and measure down from the center of the laser. Measuring in 4 locations (NSEW) Knowing the laser is good nothing is better.

As for adjusting the azimuth on a tonearm with no adjustment, you could do it but would be a big pain possible not worth the effort by making paper washers and shimming the high side using one of these https://www.amazon.com/AIRAJ-Pliers...20792&sr=1-14&keywords=paper+hole+punch+sizes

18. Leonthepro

Azimuth adjustment should not be required since cartridges on these tables dont need it to be perfect. Unless you are putting a 500$ cart on a 250$ table in which case I really wonder if that person knows what they are doing.

19. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I don't disagree at all just stating that you could if you were inclined to.

20. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Just go to Amazon, Home Depot or Lowes or any hardware store and buy yourself a 12" level made by a reputable company and use that to level the TT. Far more accurate and easy to read than any bubble level and I have 2 which are in my junk draw where they belong.

https://www.amazon.com/Empire-EM81-...UTF8&qid=1521478806&sr=8-4&keywords=12"+level

If you want to know if your cart head is level go to a coffee shop and pickup a coffee stirrer and put it on the head and look at it and see if it looks parallel to the record.

Elofan, Helom and ToxicSoundtracks like this.
  21. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

The longer the span used (obviously has to fit onto surface to be levelled) the more accurate it will be, you can also check how accurate the level is before you start by;

1 - Find a flat surface which does not have to be 100% level (eg flat table top or Kitchen work surface) but must be flat and place the level – check the position of the air bubble
    2 – Now turn the level in the same place (straight line) by 180° and check the position of the air bubble again which should be in the same position as before.

If the air bubble is not in the same position then the level is not accurate all is not lost as many levels aren’t accurate (£££££),
    you can use paper shims under one end of the level until accuracy is achieved and noted.

If you are buying a level from a hardware store, then this can all be checked before you make the purchase.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  22. matteos

matteos Stereotype

Don't forget you can download a bubble level app on your smartphone for free along with an RPM count to see what speed it is spinning.

ToxicSoundtracks and Leonthepro like this.
  23. ToxicSoundtracks

hey everyone

so i bought a bubble level. however whenever i put it on the spindle as directed on the amazon page it doesn't center directly. here's a pic

[​IMG]

the seller said it must be turntable and to shim it. im finally getting a stylus replacement for my ortofon 2m red tomorrow. so i was hoping someone can offer advice on what i can get my tt leveled so my bubble level centers. im talking about something that i can use from home. i really don't wanna have to buy another thing from amazon. i need my vinyl fix lol.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. am i better off just getting a new table from maybe IKEA?

24. Leonthepro

You have an LP120 right? Depends on what IKEA offers. The best you could do is find a steal online. Other than that I think you should just enjoy your LP120. Yes there are better options but enjoy your records for a while instead. Tinker with this table if you like, taking out the pre amp is a great upgrade step.

The bubble doesnt look too off. Just put a few paper cut outs under the back feet until its perfect, that should work as a homemade solution.

25. ToxicSoundtracks

yeah i do have an LP120. someone posted a link to a IKEA table on here that was like $14. i was thinking of getting it possibly but i can't find the link now. its probably more sturdy than what im using now.
    leon or anyone else reading can you suggest any other possible homemade solutions to leveling? i have some cardboard i can use under the back feet. im gonna try that tonight. hope it works. ive been dying to play my new records ive gotten lately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.