Tint removal in movies - Would you pay extra to have access to it?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Strat-Mangler, Mar 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

I might be in the minority, but I'm sick & tired of directors' overuse of color tints in movies.

I know some might argue it's changing a work of art but sometimes, the movie looks far different than what was shown in theaters or on DVD so the director is changing the movie after its original release.

Would you pay extra to have access to color regraded movies? Here are some example to show what I'm referring to.

Once Upon A Time In America.

ORIGINAL
    [​IMG]

REGRADED
    [​IMG]

Plenty of examples available such as Lord Of The Rings where somebody regraded the Extended Edition to match the colors originally shown in the Theater Cut.

[​IMG]

The Matrix (bottom - BluRay, top - regraded)

[​IMG]

Terminator 2 (top - original, bottom - BluRay)

[​IMG]

And many many more.

Leonthepro and enro99 like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

those are really horrible except OUATIA.... would I pay again? NO!
    I'd demand a replacement as if they did redo it they will be admitting to a defective product! well that's what I would tell them.: )

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, unnatural tinting is a pet peeve of mine, but I certainly would not pay more for a 'normal' version. That just incentives the studios to tint everything so that they can sell the 'normal' version at a higher price.

Having said than, I must admit that the blue tinted Terminator frame above does look a lot better than the 'normal' version (at least in that scene).

4. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

I still haven't bought "Do the Right Thing" on Blu-ray because they removed the original colour tinting.

I liked the warmth it gave the movie.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Predator ?

6. The studios literally believe that certain color gradings sell better to younger folks, particularly the coveted under-25 demographic. Which is why you often see movies with hideously skewed color palettes. It's what they teach in film school these days.

7. I end up tweaking the video on almost all movies I watch to suit my tastes. So, yeah I guess I'd pay extra for more control over the product.

8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

9. Strat-Mangler

Predator didn't have tint as an issue but rather DNR.

[​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

Another example I posted in another thread, although I don't know which movie that is from.

ORIGINAL
    [​IMG]

REGRADED
    [​IMG]

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Except that the 'hunter edition' has better contrast/dynamic range than the original release.

crispi and alexpop like this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What about the 3D conversion ?

13. Strat-Mangler

Perhaps but I'd rather sacrifice that than be shown plastic dolls throughout the movie.

Boy Blue likes this.
  14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Have to agree on this one for sure. Arnie looks like a wax dummy from Madame Tussauds.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  15. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

You must gush over The Revenant ;^)

16. I noticed Scarllet Johansson's face was often "softened" blurred in the bluray of The Island. It was disturbing because she's nice to look at. The colors in the movie were great but the blacks were muddy (could have been due to the tv I watched it on).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  17. Strat-Mangler

It probably was done on purpose considering the concept of the movie. It's supposed to be a sterile place so I'm guessing the look should match.

18. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

No. But I don't watch enough movies to really be bothered by it lol.

19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I check screenshots online before ordering, thus eliminating my having a problem with what I'll be watching. :shrug:

20. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Are there tv screen settings to allow you to adjust out some of these unnatural tint/color issues?

21. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'm not really up on this but I can tell you that some the "greens" used in movies/television make me not want to watch.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  22. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

That’s just his acting style.

23. In most cases, no.

What people have done is rip the Blu-ray to a computer, adjusted the tint themselves using software, then use that instead of the disc itself.

Heavy Music likes this.
  24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, that's the way to do it. Futzing with TV settings just won't work in most cases because the tints applied aren't uniform across all frames, but usually applied in different ways to particular areas only (like, sky/water, forests, deserts, skin tones, interior vs exterior shots, etc).

Heavy Music likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.