It looks like my Yamaha receiver is slowly biting the dust. Suggestions for a new receiver?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raq0915, Mar 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raq0915

raq0915 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey everyone. Normally for a question like this, I would do my own research or use the search box on here. However I have so many requirements in a new receiver that it just isn't possible to search on the forum. Anyway, before I go ANY further, maybe someone can diagnose the source of my receiver woes. If you want to skip the tech troubleshooting stuff, and want to just suggest me a new receiver based on my requirements, skip the next paragraph.

My current receiver is a Yamaha TSR-6750. I had originally purchased a brand new Sony receiver, but I hated it. Interface was literally just black box and white text, and it took forever to change inputs. Anyway, to make a long story short, I got that used Yamaha receiver for free from my uncle and I LOVE it, despite how old it is. Anyway, I was having some trouble with one of my back channels. One day it started popping. It would get progressively louder until the sound was just unbearable. Of course, the first thing I checked was to see if it was the speaker, or the receiver. I tried a different speaker on the same wire, and it did the same thing to that one. Now, I won't lie, I have not tried to change wires. My other problem is that my receiver will randomly shut off, and Ive found that once it starts, it will happen every 1-5 minutes. Honestly, I have this receiver set to sleep after 8 hours, so its basically on almost 24/7. This is kinda my own fault, and I think its just dying of old age or overuse.

Okay, now onto what Im looking for in a new receiver. Im not as much of an audiophile as I am a cinephile. I don't necessarily need something thats going to be audiophile grade, but I don't want something thats going to sound bad either. In other words, Im not prepared to break the bank just for better sound quality. My budget is about $1500. Im looking for something that has at least 6 HDMI inputs. Dolby Atmos is a must have. Also, 4k input/output and HDR10 and Dolby Vision support. I know that last part definitely limits my options. As for channels, I really don't see a need for more then 7 (not including the atmos channels), though if someone wants to change my mind on that, Id be more then happy to hear you out. From what I was able to find online, Ive narrowed it down to the Onkyo TX-RZ line. I was thinking the 820 ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071VF518...colid=3VINS821NM7Q&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it )or 920 ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075P45X7...colid=3VINS821NM7Q&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it ). Thoughts? Does anyone have these? If so, how quick does it change inputs? Im looking for immediately. Also, hows the remote? My biggest complaint with my Yamaha is that I have to actually point the remote at the receiver. Anyway, I know this was kinda long, so I appreciate anyone who made it to the bottom. Thanks!

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The only part I can help you with is the remote. You have the option of using a Logitech Harmony. In some cases, these work better than the bundled remotes. If you do have an issue with where your AVR is located and are constantly irritated about needing to point the remote onto it to get any change, you can always install an IR relay and place the "eye" wherever would be more practical for you.

I did that after sticking some gear in a media closet. Worked like a charm and it's quite cheap, too.

Have you considered an HDMI switchbox? Not needing 6 discreet HDMI inputs might open up your options quite a bit. Sure, it's an extra remote but if you use the aforementioned Logitech Harmony remote, you can bypass that little issue pretty quickly. :)

Good luck with findings the best AVR for your needs.

rodentdog likes this.
  3. raq0915

Thanks for the reply. I was literally just looking online at the Harmony Elite remote. Unfortunately, I don't have the space to mount my TV, so it sits on top of my dresser, and my center speaker sits in front of it, blocking the IR receiver. And my receiver is behind my sitting area and off to the side, making it a pain in the butt to use the remote no matter where I am. Id consider getting some IR relays, but honestly if Im getting a new receiver anyway, I may as well get one that doesn't have that issue.

As for the HDMI ports, as of right now, I don't even really have any of my devices plugged into the receiver anyway. I have my Apple TV hooked up directly to the TV, I unhooked my blu ray player cause it wasn't being used, and my Raspberry Pi won't work with my receiver, so Ive got that hooked up to the TV too. If I remember correctly, the only thing hooked up to the receivers HDMI ports is my Xbox and my Tivo. ARC and CEC are great that way. But anyway, once I totally upgrade my setup (currently looking at a new OLED TV and a UHD Player) I will probably need those HDMI ports, but yeah, right now they're not even really necessary

4. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Pioneer LX-501 surround receiver with Class D amp sounds excellent. Way under your budget with base LX-501, you can go up in price for more options/features. The class D amp is almost as good sounding as a tube amp.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  5. raq0915

Thanks for the suggestion! Its a little out of my price range and doesn't have a lot of the features I need. Thanks anyway

6. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Sorry edited my post. Changed to LX-501 & higher series.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  7. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Personally, when I've used a product for a long period of time, and I've been pleased with it, and other things being equal, I give that maker "first ups" in the replacement.

8. raq0915

Honestly thats what I was thinking too, but after seeing the Onkyo receiver on amazon, Im starting to think I could get way more for way less with another brand

9. raq0915

So Im checking that one out right now. Looks pretty good, though Im not gonna lie, not a fan of the remote. Though that can be remedied with a universal remote

10. Helom

Helom Forum member

You've heard theses amps in action?

11. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Have you checked out Denon, Sony and Yamaha ?

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  12. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

That would be a good reason to switch.

13. Strat-Mangler

It's not an issue per se but I can see why it could be perceived that way. Some IR sensors are more directional than others. Some are positioned on the far left, others on the far right and some closer to the center. The IR relay would address this problem. Personally, I'd suggest keeping that in mind as your needs appear to be specific, especially in your price range, therefore an open mind make allow you access to a better-sounding product, in the end. :)

Maybe there is some communication breakdown in this instance as I was specifically referring to HDMI splitter boxes. You can buy those for very little money and would allow you to expand the amount of devices simultaneously plugged into the receiver. There are even some which automatically switch devices based on what was just powered on, something I personally prefer.

Again, keeping these options in mind might grant you a far bigger pool of potential candidates. As long as there's a single HDMI port, with the help of one of those HDMI switch boxes, you would be fine.

Shawn likes this.
  14. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

I'd recommend a Denon

15. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Sounds better than my very good sounding Marantz 103.

16. Strat-Mangler

17. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Pioneer Class D amps vs Onkyo Class A/B amps See below.

I just did an A/B comparison of my Onkyo TX-NR 809 receiver and a newly acquired Pioneer SC-1222-K. Well........the Onkyo (that I just bought 3 months ago) is going to eBay or Craigslist today. The power, clean sound and clarity is unmatched in "class D" amps to my ears. I've always loved "class D", and finally Pioneer comes along and does it right.

Pioneer SC-LX-501 $1000 suggested retail with Dolby Atmos

Connectivity
    • HDMI Input / Output7 In (6 Rear, 1 Front) / 2 Out
    • MHL 2-
    • Wi-Fi Built-InYes (5GHz/2.4GHz)
    • Bluetooth Built-InYes
    • Component Video Input / Output1 In (Assignable)
    • USB Memory InputUSB Memory
    • Ethernet InputYes
    • Composite A/V Input / Output2 In
    • Analog Audio Inputs / Output5 In
    • Phono InputYes
    • Digital Inputs / Output3 In (Optical 2, Coaxial 1)
    • Pre-Amp Outputs0.2 ch + Zone 2 Preout
    • Headphone OutputYes
    • Front A/V InputsUSB & HDMI
    • AM/FM Presets40

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  18. Strat-Mangler

No Dolby Vision support
    No Dolby Atmos support
    No HDR10 support

19. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Specs state Dolby Atmos. Frankly, I do not have any idea what all these support modes are. Fine tuning?

20. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I don't think the final specs have been adopted for Dolby Vision or HDR10. There is a lot of confusion out there and most TVs and projectors do not support either format.

21. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

If you get the right Harmony remote, you can use repeaters so even if your IR is covered, you can work around it. I use one with all my stuff in a cabinet in the living and bedrooms.

22. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

I was going to recommend a McIntosh receiver and then I forgot that while the surround unit might be in your price range, you have to have a separate 7 channel amp for it, so...nope.

23. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

The Pioneer sc-lx501 is half off on Amazon right now if you're interested @raq0915

24. Strat-Mangler

I'm sure you're right but the OP was quite insistent on his requirements. Merely giving him what he wants. :)

25. StimpyWan

StimpyWan Forum Resident

Strat-Mangler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.