The Miles Davis album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KevinP, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I recommend this one. Excellent sound and great gatefold LP facsimile.

Miles Davis - Directions

Tim Bucknall and rxcory like this.
  2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

No. That was the one Miles album I could never find. (It was apparently already out of print when I started buying his albums around 1984.) Eventually it became moot when everything appeared on the box sets.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  3. Lonson

Circle in the Round, Directions, Water Babies. . . . these sure were Godsends to Miles fans during that period of time between Columbia contracts, during the "retirement." And items like "Directions," "Ascent," "Duran," "Konda," "Willie Nelson," "Sidecar," "Dual Mr. Tillman Anthony" . . . they were study windows into myriad live glimpses of these themes and studio recordings showing pre-Bitches Brew 'New Directions in Music" that we fans just did not know of before and filled in a few blanks in the journey. . . .

I still like to listen to these. I have the original LPs I bought and Japanese LP facsimile versions of most of them and they still "connect" with me.

Tim Bucknall, DTK, eeglug and 2 others like this.
  4. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

If I’d rather have the jewel case version of that edition would this link provide me that? I think I have some CDJ “points” to use

Directions Miles Davis CD Album

See how it has cardboard sleeve typed but crossed out?

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I have Directions via The Complete Columbia box set, as well as Circle in the Round, which I already had in its "red frame" version, but the sound quality of the one in the box set is clearly superior.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  6. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

My favorite version of Directions:

Miles Davis - Directions

I liked this better than the later Jpn releases.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  7. Mr. Explorer

Whipping out the high dollar recommendations today! ;)

I have the red border Circle too (listening to it right now in fact), interesting to know that the box set sounds better. Did they pick a Japan mastering for that or compile something new?

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  8. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I love the studio versions of “Directions” with the so-called Lost Quintet, plus Zawinul and Hancock in’68. Very cool to compare those to the numerous live versions, which could get pretty far out in various Davis groups.

Tim Bucknall, eeglug and DTK like this.
  9. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Tim Bucknall and crispi like this.
  10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It would be nice to know, I should check the booklet again to see if it provides some information.

11. Lonson

Looks like that's the jewel case version. Amazed it's still available.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. Mr. Explorer

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  13. Lonson

In Concert sounds better to me than the US version I had. I have not compared Black Beauty.

Tim Bucknall and Mr. Explorer like this.
  14. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Water Babies is excellent...should have come out back in '68/'69 when it was recorded. A missing link between Filles and Silent Way for sure.

905, Tim Bucknall, bradman and 3 others like this.
  15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

What was the very first performance (recording) of the tune, Directions?

16. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I agree. Just listened to it again yesterday. I think what kept the tracks from being released at that time was probably Columbia’s general disinterest in jazz at that time (pre-fusion) coupled with poor sales of past albums. [Although, as I’ve mentioned before, that might be one of those perpetually repeated myths, as all Second Quintet albums were in the jazz charts at that time.] Also, Miles’ fast recording pace might have played a role, too, as he was probably recording much more than they could process and put out.

17. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Relief, that's what I feel when reading your posts about the "albums/compilations" up for discussion.

"Ascent," "Duran," "Konda," "Guinevere,". . . entered directly to my favorite Miles song list.
    What I felt before: "But if I like Miles so much how can I prefer these tracks that he chose not to put out ?!"

[​IMG]

I agree with the ones that prefer the isolated albums to the complete box sequence.
    But some of these tracks sound better in that "complete" context (IMO). Like "ascent" close to the "in a silent way" tracks. Plus I enjoy those 2 minutes edited out on "konda" that are available on the boxsets.

But give me these Miles CDs over much of the music that were available at the time. Great stuff !

18. Lonson

One other possible reason these were not released nearer the time of recording is. . . there wasn't a full album's worth of the Quintet material, nor a full album's worth of the "boogaloo" material. Shame really, as I'd like a full album of each.

19. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Yeah, seems like Miles was pretty prolific when he wanted to be:laugh: "Capricorn" is probably my favourite off of Water Babies...love the bass, Ron Carter gets completely unhinged on that one!

I don't have Water Babies on vinyl but it seems to me it would qualify for the "most lopsided album sides lengthwise" thread, am I right? Side two is, like, twelve or so minutes longer than side one?:p

Tim Bucknall, Mr. Explorer and crispi like this.
  20. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

[​IMG]

For vinyl it's the original US Columbia pressing, PG 32866. They come up for sale in clean condition every once in a while.

21. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Personally I greatly prefer the original Teo Macero mixes for Water Babies to the Mark Wilder remixes with the digital reverb. The digital reverb drives me nuts. As far as I know the only way to get the original mixes on CD is the 1987 CBS/Sony Japan 32DP 727. Fortunately original Columbia LPs aren't too rare or pricey.

Tim Bucknall, Lonson and sassi like this.
  22. Lonson

I've not compared them directly in a while but Sony SRCS 9736 from '01 has a DSD remaster and lists as remix engineers Russ Payne and Stan Weiss. I definitely prefer this mix to the Wilder. . . and I think Payne and Weiss may have been the original remixers in '76--they were both Columbia engineers then. I don't have my Water Babies LP handy (it's in my storage unit 55 miles away) to say for sure.

23. crispi

How do you know it’s digital reverb? As far as I know, Wilder likes to keep as much as possible in the analogue domain, and Sony’s studios certainly have the necessary gear. Just like with his remixes of KoB and Bitches Brew, there might even be an analogue tape of his remix. Did he state anywhere that he’s using a digital reverb instead of one of the EMT plates they have there?

Like I said in an earlier post, I don’t like the original mix, I think it needs some serious EQ. It’s like Tony Williams is playing toy drums at times. Maybe this is a job for MFSL?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
  24. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Water Babies is awesome. I listened to it last night. Unfortunately my copy is noisy. And it took a long time to find!

Mr. Explorer, crispi and George P like this.
  25. crispi

Indeed. This is from the back of the LP:

[​IMG]

I haven’t heard the disc you mention, but be aware that they may have just copied the credits from the back of the LP and they may not reflect the actual engineers for the CD.

BTW, the track “Water Babies” is also available on the recent “Freedom Jazz Dance: Bootleg Series Vol. 5” and it’s Wilder best remix to date.