Who would pay to see if they reunited?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Jul 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

Peter Gabriel and Genesis

I wonder if he would have a young man costume in lieu of the old man costume for the musical box

2. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I’d go with:

Fugazi
    The Sunday’s
    Led Zeppelin
    Grateful Dead
    Komeda
    Cocteau Twins
    Stereolab
    Elvis’ TCB Band
    Yes (with Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman)

Destroysall likes this.
  3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Better chance of Israelis & Palestinians living together in Peace at this point.
    Maybe others on here can add to what I know, but from what I have read, the bad blood really started early on when Brian Eno was the 5th Talking Head for the 2nd-4th albums, and Tina W seemed to be jealous of David B's new Best Friend and the time they were spending together. It seemed to be healthy for the group to remain together with each doing their own projects in between TH albums in the 1980s, as Chris & Tina formed The Tom Tom Club, David B did 'My Life in the Bush of Ghosts' with Eno(really 'Remain in Light' Part 2) and he did a soundtrack, 'The Catherine Wheel' for a Dancer(I Think). Jerry H had done a Solo Album early on, but think his next 2 Solo Albums were in the late 1980s.

However, after the album 'Naked', Byrne all of the sudden announced that Talking Heads were no longer an active band, and this was done without discussing with Tina, Chris & Jerry. It seemed that Jerry was ambivalent over the end of the band, but Tina & Chris were begging David to not end the band(and reform it eventually). David seemed to have too many outside interest to keep Talking Heads active, as he started a New Music Label to bring awareness to Musicians from Brazil, Cuba and possibly a few African Countries. He also put out 3 excellent Solo Albums in the early 1990s, and the third ST Album actually sounded like a Talking Heads album, and he even hinted in the lyrics of one of the songs on that album(maybe the first song) that he wanted to leave the past behind by singing "that was a long long time ago'.

When you consider that he was more interested in working with other musicians to back his Solo Albums, and recent collaborations like a few years ago with St. Vincent, it was obvious outside of their appearance for acceptance to The R & R HOF, David had no interest to get back together with Chris, Tina & Jerry to record another album or like The Police, do a Reunion Tour(and Sting & Copeland ended their original run of 5 albums on terrible terms with physical fighting if I read correctly in some cases, or they wanted to kill each other in the studio). Seems like Chris & Tina(very nice people from accounts I have read), finally accepted that David had no interest to reform the band, but no idea when they finally gave up all hope it could happen.

In the end, it was just a bitter divorce, but more seemed like one side did not want the divorce and that side(Tina & Jerry) was more bitter over it and David just ignores their anger over the breakup. Maybe, he could have handled his decision to go Solo Full Time in a classier way, but he seemed to be an Introverted person. To me, David was the creative force for the actual music of Talking Heads, and his Solo Albums have been overall very good(except on the one album in the early 2000s when he did at least on Opera type song?). David did a 2nd album with Eno(7-10 years ago?) that was great. Just bought his new album(American Utopia), but only played it one time, so cannot comment on it yet. Great performance though of 'Everybody is Coming to my House'(think that is the title) on Colbert's Late Nite Show, as Byrne is using a new concept where the concert is like a Marching Band with every Musician needing to carry their own instrument(that might lead to a few Low Back Surgeries if this is a long Tour), but looks like they can take the performance to the audience in their Seats(or walk by them). Anyways, that song, sounds like a long lost Talking Heads Classic Song(not sure about the rest of the songs on the new album though).

I really like the 2 Casual Gods Albums by Jerry. Tom Tom Club had some great Singles, but not really great albums, but pretty sure 'Genius of Love' charted higher than any Talking Heads song(if the Rock Legends Documentary was accurate on that fact).

Oh, I saw when David was playing Tours in the 1990s, that he used a Cherry Acoustic Guitar. I played as a kid, but gave up after 2 years(was more into Sports), but my Parents sold my Acoustic Guitar in their divorce, when I was not around, and I saw Cherry Acoustic Guitar(Fender) for about $300 and bought it thinking some day I would learn to play 'Psycho Killer' like David did at the start of the 'Stop Making Sense' Film), but just never got the time. Still love the beauty of the Cherry Color though on that Guitar. In the late 1990s, I bought a lot Guitar Music Books of Artists I like with Tabs(so do not need to know how to read music to play it), so maybe some day I will learn to play a few Sublime, Chili Peppers, & Radiohead Songs(well not Paranoid Android as that looks extremely complicated, but maybe 'Fake Plastic Trees' and High & Dry').

4. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

Traffic:

Winwood, Capaldi, Wood and Mason.

Augmented with Rebop and David Hood.

I could not post this without a nod to our friend; the late Jimmy Miller.

5. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Oingo Boingo

pblmow likes this.
  6. Destroysall

Destroysall Forum Resident

Cocteau Twins, Til Tuesday, All About Eve, just naming a few. There’s probably too many, ha!

7. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

CSNY

Have seen;
    Neil Young
    Stephen Stills
    Crosby & Nash
    Crosby, Stills & Nash

Would like to see the four of them just for the hell of it.

8. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

They might not have explicitly said they’ve broken up - but I think it’s clear they won’t be working together again..

9. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

Good question. I guess I consider the core band members to be Johnston, Simmons, Baxter, Porter, Hartman and Hossack, although they all appeared on just one album together. But Michael Hossack passed away a few years ago so a real reunion with the two original drummers will never happen. That's what I was thinking when I posted.

10. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

I think I read a few years ago that Andy Parker has been having problems getting a visa to the states. So any reunion would have to also include Parker on drums. Imo, of course.

11. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

Pink Zeppelin or Led Floyd?

linclink likes this.
  12. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Eric and Duane.

13. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Soul Coughing

About as likely as me growing purple fins in the next ten seconds.

(waits)

Nothing happened

14. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Not even close if you are talking about the Hot 100. "Burning Down the House" hit the Top 10 (#09) plus #06 on Mainstream Rock and #02 on the US Dance charts. Surprisingly "Genius of Love" only reached #31 on the Hot 100 although it did reach #01 on the US Dance chart (shared on the flip side with Wordy Rappinghood).

I'd like to see both Talking Heads and Oingo Boingo reunite but neither seems likely.

15. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I was only going by what was said on the AXS TV Rock Documentary on Talking Heads, so they got their information wrong, but that would not surprise me.

16. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

With record chart stats, when it comes to media personalities, since Casey Kasem is dead, hardly anyone can be trusted. Maybe Ryan Seacrist?

17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

if i figured they could still do it, genesis with gabriel and hackett

18. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Ok, that’s cool.

Sadly, Hossack and Keith Knudsen have passed on. I’m not sure where Hartman is, to be honest. He’s been off the radar since 1993. Porter is around and plays his with a band and lives a quiet life. A reunion of the almost-Stampede lineup would be cool.

Mike Reynolds likes this.
  19. BigDanT

BigDanT Forum Resident

20. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

I’d originally come on here to say that, whilst I wouldn’t begrudge these groups their chance of a payday, reforming risks diminishing their legacy and I wouldn’t want any part of it. Then I saw the references to Talk Talk and thought, ‘Sod it, I’ll have a bit of that.’.

21. Very insightful. Thank you. :tiphat:

22. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

XTC

rockerreds likes this.
  23. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Alice Cooper Group
    Slade
    Marillion with Fish
    Spocks Beard with Neal Morse

24. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Unlce Tupelo
    The Kinks,
    Simon & Garfunkle
    McGuinn Hillman& Crosby
    Moby Grape
    Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart
    Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac

25. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Schenker has recently talked about playing w UFO again.
    He's mentioned being open to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Strangers In The Night.

Pete Way, Im not too sure about. I think he did some new music a few years back, but physically it seemed past habits had taken a toll.

Mike Reynolds likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.