Audio Technica LP120 Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pretty.Odd., Oct 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Awesome
    Thanks for your help.

punkmusick likes this.
  2. Talisman954

I have an ONKYO Txrz9000 has regular red and white rca phono inputs.
    That’s what your talking about regarding not needing a pre amp?

3. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Yes, you just connect the RCA cables from the turntable into the phono inputs in the back and select "phono" in the input selector. You'll also need to attach the ground wire from the turntable to the ground screw in the back of the amp. Then you're ready to go. You can buy external phono stages to improve sound if you want to, but you don't need one for any turntable (including the Pioneer PLX-1000 of course) to work with this receiver.

Talisman954 likes this.
  4. Talisman954

Awesome
    Many thanks

5. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

You may need to bypass the internal preamp in the deck itself for this to work. Is there a switch on the back of the deck for this?

6. Although I have been partial to Pioneer turntables, I don't believe that there will be a significant improvement over the AT 120, to justify the cost since you already own the AT 120. There are some differences in construction, but they come out of the same factory in China.
    I've never used an internal pre-amp as most receivers have one built in. Having experimented with the AT 120's electronics, I found no significant difference bypassing the pre-amp using the internal switch and actually physically bypassing the AT 120's internal board. Therefore, I have found that using the internal pre-amp in the bypass mode does NOT hinder performance.
    There is no set standard for a pre-amp, internal or external aside from the RIAA curve they should be incorporating. Every different pre-amp will give you a different sound. It's all about what sounds best to you.
    Many high quality and professional turntables use interchangeable universal headshells, so the AT headshell should fit the Pioneer nicely. The only consideration is weight differences and if the AT headshell is heavier than the Pioneer's, you may have to change counterweights. I use multiple headshells/cartridges on several of my turntables without issue.
    With the issue of a hum from one channel can be the headshell itself. If one headshell with a cartridge mounted hums but a different one doesn't hum, it's probably the headshell or the cartridge in it. If there is no headshell or cartridge pluggted into the tone arm, you will definitely get a hum.
    Seeing as how your AT 120 is only 6 months old, it's still under warranty. The AT tech guys are usually very friendly and helpful in troubleshooting problems. They were great when I contacted them.
    Neither the AT nor the PLX are considered audiophile turntables, they are professional grade and they also play records great.
    My advice would be to stick with what you've got, get warranty service and use your savings to buy more records.

Talisman954 likes this.
  7. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

I'm the owner of an lp120. For about $300 or so, you can:

* Upgrade the cart (I upgraded to an AT440mla) and its a great match.
    * Get the heavier counter weight.
    * Replace the felt mat with a rubber/cork mat.
    * And to take it to another level, remove the USB preamp.

If you cannot remove the preamp yourself, it would be less than an hours work for a technician. You will not believe the enhancement in sound when you lose that ridiculous USB preamp.

Do the above and I doubt you'll get a TT that matches it for under $1000.

PS I almost forgot, set the anti skate to 7.

8. Talisman954

Good info
    I already upgraded to the at540
    Already have the rubber cork matt
    When you say get the heavier counterweight?
    Any recommendations and what will this change

9. Talisman954

Again great advice.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond.

10. marcob1963

You'll notice when you set the tracking force how much more balanced the tone arm is. Also, it will better accomodate the upgrade in cart such as the AT440mla I use. It sits closer to the pivot point of the tonearm for apparent better tracking and performance. Which is the case on mine, no real distortion or sibilance to speak of and negligible IGD.

11. Talisman954

Is this the product your talking about ?

Audio-Technica AT-LP120 AT-LP120USB Upgrade Heavy tonearm counterweight AT-CW1

12. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

I had the AT 120 for just over a year and tweaked it little by little noticing sound changes/improvements with each one. Some were drastic changes and one was subtle.

• Felt to rubber mat - improvement in bass definition and no more mat sticking to records. SUBTLE
    • Upgraded cartridge to AT440mlb - it brought a bit of sparkle to my at the time boring(ish) speakers. DRASTIC
    • Phono Preamp - Emotiva XPS-1 expanded the soundstage width and depth (AT 120 in bypass mode). DRASTIC
    • Removed internal preamp in AT 120 and wired directly to XPS-1 - this removed another layer which was between me and the music. Most records sounded clearer this way but now my better mastered records were at times too bright/detailed for my tastes which was a result of this and the AT440mlb, YMMV. DRASTIC
    I've since moved on to a new table, phono preamp, cart, and speakers but have to say I really enjoyed my time with the AT 120. It's a fun table to listen to music on, especially rock. I sold it to a friend and occasionally go over to listen.

13. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Thanks....the static is an issue, once in a while.

Talisman954 likes this.
  14. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

I agree it is best for ROCK. I need to get the rubber mat, but had carried out the recommendations already (a different but fine cartridge), drastic upgrade improvements indeed.

Talisman954 likes this.
  15. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

I find that rock can still sound good/great on lesser tables but the AT 120 didn't bring out the dimension and instruments in certain genres like classical or jazz. Those were always boring to me on this table.

Cyclone Ranger and Talisman954 like this.
  16. Talisman954

Gotta give props to Audio Technica
    The service manager agreed to cover all shipping costs.
    I sent him a video of my pitch issue and he stated the turntable has an issue and needs servicing.
    Just gotta find a box now to send it back.
    Had no idea I would need this servicing so soon.
    I normally keep all my boxes too.

lemonade kid likes this.
  17. Helom

Helom Forum member

Having owned both, I can say without a doubt that you'll notice a significant improvement, unless your hearing is severely impaired.

I also used the same cart and preamp, so it was a fair comparison. Take your pick of any audiophile terms, the Pioneer bests the LP120 in all of them.

18. Talisman954

I was going to buy this pioneer last night but then found tons of threads about lack of hinged dust cover.
    For what I use it for and the high dust area it will be in, I can’t justify having a non hinged lid that requires modification to have one.
    Not a popular reason with audiophiles I’m sure, but I read many threads about the frustration this causes, and I know it would bug the hell out of me.

19. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I actually prefer it like that. My previous turntable, the Pro-ject Debut Carbon, had a hinged dust cover but I removed the clamps so I was able to take it off completely during listening, I prefer to listen without the cover attached to the table. It's a matter of taste of course.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Talisman954 likes this.
  20. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

If you have not yet removed the preamp and upgraded the cartridge, I would wait on upgrading the table. If you remove the preamp, it increased its performance incredibly. Also, the stock cartridge is good but there are much better out there. I eventually upgraded to a Techncis SL 1200 and I am very, very happy with this upgrade, but that is also because I re-wired the tonearm on my 1200 and did several other modifications. The LP120 is a great table. You can also upgrade the headshell and other things. I have heard the Pioneer PLX-1000 is a very, very good table, too if you are looking to buy something brand new. A good used Technics 1200 is cheaper though.

Talisman954 and punkmusick like this.
  21. marcob1963

Talisman954 likes this.
  22. Talisman954

I am going to wait on the pre amp until my repair is complete.
    I’ll probsbly find someone local to do it.
    As for the cartridge I already went from the stock AT95 to a VM540ML. , a huge upgrade in quality. Also upgraded the head shell.

draden1 likes this.
  23. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

There’s YouTube videos on how to do the preamp mod. If you have wirestrippers, screwdrivers, wire nuts, and a ground wire you are good to go. I remember making a trip to the hardware store for the wire nuts and ground wire, I think it cost only a couple of dollars. Worth the try instead of paying someone to do it, and you’ll have the satisfaction of knowing you did an awesome mod to your table!

Talisman954 likes this.
  24. As I said before, there are no pre-amp standards and each will have a different sound.
    Observing frequency patterns visually showed no difference between using the internal bypass switch and wiring around the internal pre-amp circuit board.
    And, it is well-known that the cartridges which came in the AT 120's was about as cheap as you could get. Almost any other cartridge would be an improvement. Of course switching from the standard cartridge to the AT440mlb, technically an audiophile-class cartridge, will be an improvement. It's a no-brainer. And, if you want an even greater improvement, try using an AT cartridge from the 70's when AT actually made good cartridges, like even the AT12S. You would be even more impressed.
    As I stated, I have never had to use the internal pre-amp on the AT120. Every receiver I've owned has had it's own pre-amp built in. Those receivers are designed to sound a certain way and they expect you to use the built-in pre-amp.

25. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I’m a few years away from a bigger room and bigger budget for a system. But reading this thread has me thinking about the next turntable.

So I’ve made most of the upgrades to the table
    Rubber mat, heavier counterweight, better cart (At440mlb), removed internal preamp.

When it is time to get a nicer table, aside from looks, what should I expect from a $1000 turntable? Or something similar like a technic SL1200? I’d expect quieter or no motor noise. And anti skate that works. Past that I’m not really sure what I’d be looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.