Mapleshade IsoBlocks

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jnthn_7, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnthn_7

jnthn_7 Active Member Thread Starter

Hi everyone!

I'm building a isolation platform for my TT and I'm looking for some feet to use with it. After some looking around the internet I found Mapleshades IsoBlocks a few weeks back.

I've contacted their support to find out the Isoblocks dimensions (both the 1s and 2s versions) and if two blocks are glued together in order to form "one" block (it kind of looks like that from their pictures on the Mapleshade site) or if they are just suppose to be stacked. But I can't get a response from them. I've sent them two e-mails but nothing. So I thought I'd ask the same questions on this forum, hoping that someone might be kind enough to help me out! :)

2. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

3. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I investigated those before on another website and they really won't do diddly for something as light as a TT or most audio equipment, but they may make do for racks which are considerably heavier when the equipment is piled on - they are made for machinery.

You need to find the 'durometer' rating which is an indication of softness.

I used this for TT isolation along with a piece of either 3/4 or 1/2 MDF which I stained and sealed. Works well and supports quite a bit of weight

http://www.michaels.com/1-x-24-x-54-upholstery-foam/D006623S.html

Ken Clark and jnthn_7 like this.
  4. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

IsoAcoustic pucks are excellent.

lonelysea and jnthn_7 like this.
  5. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

there are at least 2 rating scales

Rubber Hardness Chart, Rubber Durometer Scale – Mykin Inc

BTW, the late Charles Hanson (Ayre) thought that maple blocks were not as good as myrtlewood - it may sound crazy and they did no real testing, but some credence for an electronics designer of that status maybe...

jnthn_7 likes this.
  6. ChrisAZ

ChrisAZ Well-Known Member

The double sized isoblocks are just two isoblocks glued together. I use single isoblocks under a Mapleshade maple platform with my TT on top of the platform - it works very well.

7. jnthn_7

Interesting. I'm wondering if thats the case with Isoblocks and the platform I use. My platform is a IKEA Lack table top with no legs, on top of that is my Rega P3.

8. jnthn_7

Cool! Thanks for your info! You mean glued on top of each other or width wise? :)

9. jnthn_7

10. jnthn_7

If anyone has other recomendations/suggestions than Isoblocks I'd really appreciate hearing about them also :)

Like I posted further up in this thread, Im using a IKEA Lack table top with no legs as my platform and on top of that sits my Rega P3. :)

11. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I can recommend the Herbie’s Audiolab Tall Tenderfeet from personal use, they really make a difference:

Herbie's Audio Component Feet

There are also standard height Tenderfeet as well. I went with the Tall as they are taller than my turntable and other conponent’s feet which I didn’t want to remove.

I’ve also been using their Way Excellent II matte for several years, a great product:

Herbie's Turntable Mats

I also suggest considering the Auralex Mopad for turntables. I have one with one of my tables, they do the trick.

https://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Acoustics-ISOTONE-Turntable-Isolation/dp/B00SZ3J4IS

For a wood base solution check out the cutting boards at your local sources, there are some thick and beautiful woods available. I use a couple under components from Bed Bath & Beyond here in the U.S..

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    GreatTone, 33na3rd and gov like this.
  12. ChrisAZ

ChrisAZ Well-Known Member

On top of each other.

13. jnthn_7

Thank you for your suggestions! :) I'll look in to them!

DigMyGroove likes this.
  14. jnthn_7

Awesome! Thanks! :D

15. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Mapleshade = Incredibly overpriced Snake Oil.

16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Their CDs are pretty fabulous, so they must know something.

17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Agreed. I wouldn't give this company a single red cent for ANYTHING on pure principle, even if it was a legit product.

missan likes this.
  18. gov

gov Forum Resident

Would be helpful to the OP and the community here if you elaborated on that position.

19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

This company has been discussed numerous times on here and elsewhere on line.

missan likes this.
  20. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

I'll elaborate - their products are simply rebadged items with huge prices increases and large dose of advertising woo-woo.

Vibration control is hardly a black art - it is well understood by engineers and scientists who use it for very delicate experimental setups

stereoguy and gov like this.
  21. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

It's urethane, i.e - flammable. Don't put it under tube amps, just in case...

22. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

Is the Ikea Lack dense enough to perform as intended? I am looking for a "cheap" and easy isolation setup myself for my VPI Prime Scout - I like the look of the Lack if it does the trick. I know it's made out of particleboard/fiberboard.

23. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

A piece of Particle board with (4) $1.69 hockey pucks underneath will give you plenty of isolation.

beppe likes this.
  24. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

yes, you can then wrap some maple boards around it

I'd use a sandbox to really solve vibration problems

25. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

The Lack is very light and rigid. It works wonderfully with a Rega. Not sure I would go that route for a mass loaded table. But, otoh, they are dirt cheap, so you are only out 10 bucks if it doesnt work.

McGuy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.